Tata unveils Rs. 1 Lakh Car - Nano

sandtest

Look at this 'journalist' trying to supress his seething anger as our Indian powerhouse buys the iconic (British) Jaguar.

January 11, 2008 Ambitious Tata has designs on famous British names The symbolism could hardly be greater: Tata, India’s second largest carmaker, unveiled the world’s cheapest car yesterday, a £1,200 runabout called the Nano that threatens to overwhelm the streets of nations throughout the Far East as four-wheeled transport comes within the reach of millions for the first time. Yet Tata’s eyes are on a far more prestigious prize. Within weeks the ambitious Bombay-based business could own Jaguar and Land Rover, companies that produce cars far beyond the reach of all but the exclusive few. Tata makes a £1,200 car; Jaguar and Land Rover make cars that can cost £70,000 and more. The disposal of Jaguar and Land Rover by Ford is just another sign that the sun has not only set on the British Empire but the lights have gone out as well. Ford may have been an American multinational company, but its long history and substantial presence here always made it feel as though the two charismatic brands had stayed within our grasp. But Ford’s hopeless inability to manage Jaguar, in particular, has served to underline that the world is looking to the East for its salvation. Tata could be a prime player in the British luxury car market, if it gets hold of Jaguar and Land Rover. At least under Ford the two Midlands-based companies could be promised an interchange of high-technology, design ideas and talent with their parent business. But what will Tata bring except for size? Precious little, probably, unless it has the money to throw at the pair in the same quantities that have kept BMW and Mercedes-Benz at the top of the executive market for so long. Related Links * The cheapest cars in the world * Corners cut on cost – and safety with the Tata Nano * Tata wants Ford man for Jaguar-Land Rover Land Rover remains the preeminent manufacturer of 4 x 4 machines, although that is not much recommendation in the present hostile environment where global warming threatens to melt down sales of big four-wheel-drive vehicles. Which means Tata will have to come up with some interesting strategies to adapt the business. Jaguar, though, is a basket case. Sales shot from 50,000 to 130,000 in 2002, with the launch of the “baby” X-Type but sank ingloriously to 63,000 last year. The X-Type – the brain-child of Jacques Nasser, once the global chairman of Ford and, ironically, one of the bidders in the takeover battle – was not good enough to compete with BMW’s 3 Series, the Audi A4 or the Mercedes C-Class. The Jaguar S-Type was also a lukewarm, retro affair that did not catch on. The company has launched the XF to yet more tepid reviews and the suspicion remains that only a thorough shake-up can rescue a brand that was once one of the most revered in the world. If Tata is buying the badges in a postimperialist bout of muscle-flex-ing, they could be making a huge mistake. Meanwhile, the factory workers in Solihull and Birmingham must be wondering what brilliant ideas will come from a manufacturer whose only headline-grabbing vehicle is a car that comes at the price of about four iPhones. They will need to be good or the sun will be setting for ever on two famous British motoring names.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/news/article3168463.ece

Guest dada_rocks
salla some posters here want everything "1 lakh rupiya me pura jungle kharidne nikle hai"
:D reminds me of my encounter with a hawker nearLal Quila.. Me: checking out a pair of socks asking kitne mein doge Hawker: 10 Rs Me : 10 Rs mein bas ak moja Hawker: To Kya lal Quila loge 10 Rs mein..:haha:

Thinking a bit more, I am beginning to wonder what kind of margins Tata can really make in this car. A Car isnt a high-volume commodity like a mobile phone, where the manufacturers generally cut prices and make profits on volumes. Tata says it expects to sell 2,50,000 these per year initially and later, hopes to see that figure go to 1 million. That is a VERY ambitious number. And more pertinently, I am not sure for how long Tata can keep the price at 1 lakh, especially with sky-rocketing steel and other raw materials. Its quite obvious that Tata stuck with the 1-lakh price tag, just to keep its price.I think there will be quite a few prices hikes once the car is launched. Over the next two years, I expect the prices to go upto anywhere between 1,30,000 - 1,40,000 rs + plus tax. I guess Tata didnt make this car to earn a profit out of it, but to just build its brand as a car maker.

Sriram...this is the basic model.Once reputation is made with the consumers(which is sure because Tata'a have an excellent after sales service...)...they will probably take out variations to the basic model.Besides they will make money on the volume they sell. I did get" the old" car when hubby bought the TATA indigo...but I didn't use it much and since there was only place for new car in the garage...the old one just got rusted in the rain and finally we sold it off. I don't use the car much but hubby wants to buy a smaller car for me(As I have some real Parking issues with the bigger car:((:nervous:) as he finds my 2 wheeler driving unsafe in the traffic. But I am not going to go for this one...I am saving for a Reva....(the little electric car)...unfortunately hubby is not convinced about that one.:sad_smile: Other than that we have 2 two wheelers and two bicycles.:D

Beets, do you know that there are HUGE maintenance issues with an Electric car ? For example, if the electricity goes off when you plug it, you cant drive it the next day. P.S - You got lotsa vehicles in your house ! :D

>>>Beets, do you know that there are HUGE maintenance issues with an Electric car ? For example, if the electricity goes off when you plug it, you cant drive it the next day. Why else do you think hubby is not allowing me too buy?:D >>>P.S - You got lotsa vehicles in your house ! :embaressed_smile:2 are non polluting energy saving bicycles......

Just saw the Reva... kids+mom.jpg' Do you REALLY REALLY want this ? :D
Yesssssss!:two_thumbs_up: But in red and black.....if they don't have that colour...i'll paint myself........:D..... (this will be so easy to park.....and even if I hit a few other cars...who is going to complain being hit by hthis little thing!:D)

Yesssssss!:two_thumbs_up: But in red and black.....if they don't have that colour...i'll paint myself........:D..... (this will be so easy to park.....and even if I hit a few other cars...who is going to complain being hit by hthis little thing!:D)
:D If you really want a small car to avoid hitting other vehicles when you park, you might want to try this. Mio5fTKqWgM The Peel P50 was a three-wheeled microcar manufactured in 1962 by the Manx Peel Engineering Company. It was designed as a town car and was advertised as capable of seating "one adult and a shopping bag". The car currently holds the record for the smallest-ever automobile to go into mass production, at just 134 cm (53 in) long and 99 cm (39 in) wide, with a weight of only 59 kg (132 lb). The vehicle's only door was on its left side, and equipment included a single windscreen wiper, and only one headlight. :D

rajeev dc launched his own customised car at the auto expo delhi where the tata nano was launched ia combo between ambie+ hotrod = ambierod. costs ****ing 4 crores sanju baba had come to endorse it here is the video of the car CfErs92F1JA

Guest dada_rocks

See what drove the Nano-Dream :congrats: It was his heart that told him to build the Nano. He would see families of four on a single scooter. The father would keep his son in front and the mother would hold on to her baby. He wondered why it was not possible to give such families a car where they could be safe and comfortable for the same price. Plus, they would keep their dignity. Link to Story