Best Subcontinent team to win World cup  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Best Subcontinent team to win World cup

• 1983 - India under Kapil Dev
    • 1992 - Pakistan under Imran Khan
    • 1996 - SriLanka under Ranatunga
    • 2011 - India under Dhoni

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

They got mentally beaten by 350 and Sachin had no business of attacking from word go, he had all the time in world to get settled and then start accelerating. But I think team got overwhelmed by the score.

True. When Gibbs and Smith had that opening partnership to chase down 434, they got settled in and started taking shots. Look at 2015 WC Final, Baz went blazing in the first over and got bowled and NZ stuttered to a way below par total. Yeah that's the way he 'plays' but still.

24 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Exactly, we were overwhelmed at the half time to see such pounding of our bowlers. Should have relaxed and play normal like Sehwag and Dravid did.

Ganguly was wrong in not choosing to bat first but that said, the blame should not go on to the captaincy for the defeat. We were just pathetic that day, thats about it. 

Even though the fab four were very talented, they were weak mentally compared to Aussies and that is one of main reasons why they have always underachieved. 

Edited by putrevus
1 minute ago, laaloo said:

True. When Gibbs and Smith had that opening partnership to chase down 434, they got settled in and started taking shots. Look at 2015 WC Final, Baz went blazing in the first over and got bowled and NZ stuttered to a way below par total. Yeah that's the way he 'plays' but still.

Wasn't NatWest trophy a year earlier where they chased 325 plus, Indians should have remained calm and I am not saying they would have won it but they sure could have given better fight, that finals ruined whole tournament for me. Loss with some  fight would have been also okay.

Aussies had great batting but their bowling was suspect if you had put enough pressure they would have cracked, they pulled out some close matches just by their grit and determination.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Wasn't NatWest trophy a year earlier where they chased 325 plus, Indians should have remained calm and I am not saying they would have won it but they sure could have given better fight, that finals ruined whole tournament for me. Loss with some  fight would have been also okay.

Aussies had great batting but their bowling was suspect if you had put enough pressure they would have cracked, they pulled out some close matches just by their grit and determination.

Agree about the calm part but even without Warne, the aussie bowling was really good. Andy bichael won them a game against Eng. McGrath and Brett Lee are ATG bowlers. But yes, the finals was a disappointment. It ended on a sour note, but I loved the world cup. Srinath dismantling the Lankans, Sachin 6 off of Caddick, Sachin against Pakistani, Nehra dismantling the English, and that match too where we beat up the Kiwis.

38 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Even though the fab four were very talented, they were weak mentally compared to Aussies and that is one of main reasons why they have always underachieved. 

I  just believe that we together as a team were never good. All the players were good at different times unlike Aussies who were good together. If Punter won't click then you would have Martyn or Symonds who would come and destroy the attacks like in champions trophy 06 where Martyn was brilliant or like Symonds in 03 world cup. We lacked such performances in the final from our regular players or big p'ships between regular players.

This is where Dhoni-Gambhir and Gambhir/Kohli P'ship was really good in 2011 world cup as you had tough players battling it out chasing 270 under immense pressure in the most important game in the history of our cricket.

Agree about the calm part but even without Warne, the aussie bowling was really good. Andy bichael won them a game against Eng. McGrath and Brett Lee are ATG bowlers. But yes, the finals was a disappointment. It ended on a sour note, but I loved the world cup. Srinath dismantling the Lankans, Sachin 6 off of Caddick, Sachin against Pakistani, Nehra dismantling the English, and that match too where we beat up the Kiwis.

McGrath was taken for plenty in that match, Brett Lee was good but was not a lock down bowler . They had no spinner , chasing requires some luck but they never gave themselves a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, putrevus said:

Mcgrath was always on top of his game against the Indians. Or against any class batsmen, unline Wasim Akram who thrived on taking wickets of tailenders and not the main batsmen. 

The Indian batsmen also had a block against Mcgrath, so it was always going to be tough. Zaheer got really pumped up and wanted to match shoaib and Lee for pace. Had he bowled a tad responsibly, we could have had our chances.

11 hours ago, laaloo said:

Yaar! Playing in finals is totally different in any level. Only those who have experienced a big final match can understand it.  You could see impact of nerves right from first over of Zakk.He bowled worst over of his life. Aussies were used to playing and winning in finals while for India, it was first time. Gilly and co knew exactly what they were expecting. They just took us apart. Lets not compare that to current totals where 50 over inning is actually two T20 inning.

Bottom line is, Even now, You cant score that many runs in a finals chase. Game was over by first inning.

4 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Mcgrath was always on top of his game against the Indians. Or against any class batsmen, unline Wasim Akram who thrived on taking wickets of tailenders and not the main batsmen. 

The Indian batsmen also had a block against Mcgrath, so it was always going to be tough. Zaheer got really pumped up and wanted to match shoaib and Lee for pace. Had he bowled a tad responsibly, we could have had our chances.

Thats uncalled for. I have seen many of Wasim's bowling against top batsman and with new ball he used to be so good, that even openers used to miss him by a mile. To put simply, Even openers werent good enough to nick his new ball deliveries.

Edited by mishra
1 hour ago, mishra said:

Thats uncalled for. I have seen many of Wasim's bowling against top batsman and with new ball he used to be so good, that even openers used to miss him by a mile. To put simply, Even openers werent good enough to nick his new ball deliveries.

It isnt uncalled for. Wasim Akram is my favourite bowler and I rate his as the best pacer ever lived. But his record against the best batsmen is poor. His majority wickets are against the tailenders. If you dont believe, see the stats of the top bowlers against the top batsmen. Srinath stands way ahead of Wasim in that list.