Who should be the 3rd pacer to support Bumrah and Bhuvi?

Ultimate_Game

4 minutes ago, Lord said:

Sandeep too got thrashed in powerplays against KKR and MI

Cant judge on one game

It's not one game. It's across the last 3 IPLs. And here's the stat from cricinfo which I will quote again...

At 114, Sandeep Sharma has bowled more balls in the Powerplay than any other bowler in this IPL. He has conceded runs at only 6.57 an over, and has bowled more dots than anyone else. His six Powerplay wickets are joint-highest along with Samuel Badree and Mitchell McClenagahan

Also, over the last 3 IPLs Sandeep has been one of the most economical bowler during PP and one of the highest wkt takers. In fact over the last 3 IPLs he's the best Indian pacer in PP :agree: 

3 minutes ago, beetle said:

Sandeep needs a few more good matches to catch the selectors eye.

He was miserable againzt zimbabwe on his debut.

He will have to do something extra ordinary to make them have confidence again.

Hope he does that.

Let's be fair and honest for a moment. When you blood a youngster do you make a call on 4-6 overs and that too with a team missing most of the regulars and captained by Raina? If that's the case you will never be able to get into the Indian team.

The guy's 23 or so and deserves to be given a decent run with the team and not discarded based on a one off T20 against Zim with practically an India A team. The guy was 20 at the time and surely you don't treat a 20 year old kid making his debut this way.

Just now, Ultimate_Game said:

Let's be fair and honest for a moment. When you blood a youngster do you make a call on 4-6 overs and that too with a team missing most of the regulars and captained by Raina? If that's the case you will never be able to get into the Indian team.

The guy's 23 or so and deserves to be given a decent run with the team and not discarded based on a one off T20 against Zim with practically an India A team. The guy was 20 at the time and surely you don't treat a 20 year old kid making his debut this way.

It was against zimb.

He got that chance because of his performance in IPL.

It leaves an impression.He needs a few more really good games .

I personally think he would probably be  good in the t 20 team .

2 minutes ago, beetle said:

It was against zimb.

He got that chance because of his performance in IPL.

It leaves an impression.He needs a few more really good games .

I personally think he would probably be  good in the t 20 team .

In a T20 such kind of performances do occur. You can't judge a 20 year old kid based on 1-2 T20s. Give him a couple of decent series (at least 6-8 games) and then make the call. Surely that's not asking much :dontknow: You can't decide on a player based on 6 overs!

For crying out loud we have played likes of Vinnneeee Koomaaar and Dindaaa so many times and you consign a 20 year old kid to the curb based on 6 overs in T20s and that too with an A team? I beg to differ. 3-4 years of good performances in IPL and domestic cricket can't be decided by 6 overs in T20s.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

In a T20 such kind of performances do occur. You can't judge a 20 year old kid based on 1-2 T20s. Give him a couple of decent series (at least 6-8 games) and then make the call. Surely that's not asking much :dontknow: You can't decide on a player based on 6 overs!

For crying out loud we have played likes of Vinnneeee Koomaaar and Dindaaa so many times and you consign a 20 year old kid to the curb based on 6 overs in T20s and that too with an A team? I beg to differ. 3-4 years of good performances in IPL and domestic cricket can't be decided by 6 overs in T20s.

You can't throw a guy who didn't look confident against zim into a major icc tournament.

He needs to be blooded in a bilateral series.

6 minutes ago, beetle said:

You can't throw a guy who didn't look confident against zim into a major icc tournament.

You can't throw a guy out of the setup without backing him up on the back of a couple of T20s. If Shami doesn't show improvement and is not match fit, what other options do you suggest? I've seen nearly every Indian pacer and who else would you pick?

We already have two pacers who are great at the death in Bhuvi and Bumrah. We need an option who can be used in the PP overs and exploit seam friendly conditions if we encounter them. To me I don't see any other choice. At least you can rely on Sandeep to make sure he will make the most of conditions in England and not give freebies due to lack of control.

1 minute ago, Mosher said:

Sandeep over Shami based on IPL? Really? Shami has been a top bowler for us in ODI's. We need a wicket taker and Shami is that guy who can get those breakthrough's.

If Shami is close to the bowler he was at his best. Right now he isn't anywhere close.

Sandeep over Shami based on IPL? Really? Shami has been a top bowler for us in ODI's. We need a wicket taker and Shami is that guy who can get those breakthrough's.

A BIG no for sandeep, I will take shami as our 3rd seamer if not fit then umesh, also rajput or siraj should also be there in the mix, glad dhoni days are now over and knowing kohli people like sandip won't find any place in our precious blue kit

Nice point mam sandip still needs to work on his pace, death bowling etc. I wouldn't pick a bowler who becomes liability after 2 or 3 overs

9 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

If Shami is close to the bowler he was at his best. Right now he isn't anywhere close.

Shami was never a good t20 bowler so dont judge him based on a couple of t20 matches. The fact is Shami is a top ODI bowler for us. Check out his bowling stats in ODI's. He is an experienced bowler and will up his game come CT. If Shami is fit then him over Sandeep in ODI's anyday.

Edited by Mosher

12 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Shami was never a good t20 bowler so dont judge him based on a couple of t20 matches. The fact is Shami is a top ODI bowler for us. Check out his bowling stats in ODI's. He is an experienced bowler and will up his game come CT. If Shami is fit then him over Sandeep in ODI's anyday.

As I mention in OP if Shami is "match fit". Based on what I've seen so far he clearly isn't and is nowhere close to his best. It's not just about Shami not being a good T20 bowler. Shami was sliding down the leg and was struggling to stick to normal line & length. IMO he isn't 100% after coming from a long injury related layoff.

9 minutes ago, asterix said:

Didn't we always discussed Aaron being better than UY in the shorter format?

Aaron will be better option as 3rd bowler...

Sandip is not yet there...if he fails to get swing then he'll be taken to cleaners...

No. Aaron is not better than UY or others in any format. Aaron has regressed and struggles to maintain control over line & length which is absolute necessity in odis.