Confessions of Virat Kohli !!!

velu

28 minutes ago, kira said:

Talk about going off a tangent? My comment was about kohli and not a commentary on delhites, try to remain focussed on the crux of the point 

His attitude has brought him tremendous success, he's not going to change it just because a few fans find it unacceptable or unworthy of a captain. He respects the sport, that's why he's reached the level he is at, he represents the new gen India who have grown up watching some very meek cricketers represent India in the 90s. We've seen the arrogant Aussie team at its peak, that's what inspires kohli and my generation, that's what we want to emulate, it doesn't mean we disrespect the dravids and tendulkars, I am one of the biggest tendulkar fan on this forum. 

You are not sure how I can predict he would be a great leader but you have no problem making assumptions about him. I know kohli will be a great leader because of what I've seen in the past year, he's changed the attitude of the Indian test team, the way India  fought back in the banglore test  against australia is enough proof to show his leadership skills. One australian series is enough to make you go on tirade against kohli but you conveniently forgot the 20 match unbeaten run before that series.

"Kohli is going to keep behaving like a true delhite"    -    analyzing Kohli's behavior as that of a True Delhiite -  It does sound like a true commentary and assumption on how Delhiites behave. 

His attitude has brought him tremendous success, he's not going to change it just because a few fans find it unacceptable or unworthy of a captain. He respects the sport, that's why he's reached the level he is at, he represents the new gen India who have grown up watching some very meek cricketers represent India in the 90s     -    Kohli as a player vs Kohli as a captain are two different things.    This criticism isn't for him to change the way how he plays but with more power and position comes more responsiblity.  His behavior as a captain is atrocious if not as a player.  If he was just another person in the team it would be more tolerable - But a captain of a side behaving that way isn't respectful.    Secondly  I do not agree the 90s cricketers were meek -   if you equate meekness with lack of drama and over the top reaction then sure.     Sachin/Saurav/Dravid/ Kumble/Dhoni/Yuvi  certainly were't meek  - but they did not create an issue and act like a lost child in the middle. 

You are not sure how I can predict he would be a great leader but you have no problem making assumptions about him   -   I am not assuming anything about him ,  I am just pointing what I find as a flaw in him as a leader and a captain , not as a player.  He is a good player and he will continue to excel but as a leader - showboating /  over the top reactions on EVERYTHING isn't required.    I am all for tit for tat and giving it back to the opposition but Kohli does not seem to have a filter -  he lacks the maturity to tone it down and keep emotions in check . In a recent IPL game when I believe Y Pathan was not given out , Kohli lost his mind at the umpire and his antics were embarassing and quite foolish.   You got a wrong decision , suck it up and move on - part of the sport.   Every single time I see Kohli get out - he is either shaking his head or has a look of disbelief on his face -   Move on and go off the pitch.     Do not curse your fielders when they drop a catch - that isn't a leader. 

2 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

Mate  I don't think you realize what you type because you clearly make a quite of bit of assumptions and simplify things to make your point.

".its an attack on the entire people who have this kind of thought that people cant express who they are"  -     Firstly you shouldn't be attacking anyone in the first place , you don't need to be a keyboard warrior and secondly you dont know me and are assuming that I cannnot express myself ?   So how I am a person and how I express myself is based in your opinion solely on whether I  like a cricketer ?   You do realize how illogical that sounds ?

No one is asking to behave like Sachin, Dravid , Waugh etc in terms of cricketing ability.  But when you represent a nation , a sport on an international level - there comes a sense of responsibility -  You need to reflect that in your behavior. 

His reaction is an expectation from his team ?  Really ?  Who told you so ?   You really like making assumptions ?  Were you a part of the team meetings where Kohli was asked to act like an ass ?  Is that a new job description of a captain ?   Did the kjob requirements changed since Dhoni was captain or Rahane was captain because they surely did not look like they skipped their ADHD meds .

U cant be champions unless u raise ur game and he demands by setting examples   -   So your definition of raising games is acting like an idiot ?  Sachin is the epitome of performance - so you are saying he never raised his game ?  So unless you aren't cursing , fighting with the umpires , acting like an ass , you aren't "raising" your game ?

Just becoz we have had player like dravid n sachin doesnt eman we have to bend down always   ?   Are you new to cricket cuz I am really confused if you've been watching the sport for a long time ?   -    Sachin decimated Australia in Sharjah , Akhtar in 2003 w/c vs Pak without "bending" down -    doing your job without running your mouth isn't bending down.  Let your bat do the talking - not your mouth.   Dravid / Laxman stood tall for India in the hardest of times because they let their bats do the talking -   Australia fooled Kohli quite easily in the Test series by making him look stupid and acting like an idiot. 

I agree Kohli brings a culture of fitness that's great.  He needs his team to be fit and motivate them to work harder which is all fair.  But questioning every call against him with the umpires , cursing his own players when they make a mis field or be clueless and starting to panic when things don't go his way isn't the culture we need. 

It's Dhoni's time to go so that's why need a replacement.  Quite Simple - Dhoni did his part - he has built his legacy and it's time to move on.   Kohli can do his antics as a batsman whatever he wants to do but when he is in the role of a captain - he needs to demonstrate some degree of maturity and respect to the country and the sport.   Acting like an over privileged child is quite emparassing. 

Sense of responsibility -

have u see any other cricketer as commited as him in India ???

Has he done match fixing????

Does he bring a holiday weight on tour like Rohit sharma who half world wants as captain

Why dont u say that about bhajji who went on a show like roadies who encourages such stuff......

Hpw does his cursing bring a disrespect to nation where everyone curses on roads . Why do people have a shame in watching a mirror. 

Did the kjob requirements changed since Dhoni was captain or Rahane was captai

Again who asked u to look for a replica.......Did dhoni or rahane bring a the sense of improving fitness to the whole team setup. 

Everyone brings something new. 

I can name many captains who did that.........

Where is that book which suggest u have to react in a same way 

So your definition of raising games is acting like an idiot ?  Sachin is the epitome of performance - so you are saying he never raised his game ? 

So ur telling me kohli doesnt win games. HE is just demanding to put that extra effort now in that some will show n some will hide emotions both are well appreciated. But again their choice. 

The whole act of telling someone what to do is the biggest issue i have with old school thinking. Mind ur own bussiness 

Every call, he never questioned every call that exaggerating stuff.....n umpiring standard these days are bizzare

He lacks few things and he ll learn. Why do u expect everyone to be same. I can count so many qualities dhoni didnt have what kohli has......

Kohli can do his antics as a batsman whatever he wants to do but when he is in the role of a captain - he needs to demonstrate some degree of maturity and respect to the country and the sport.   Acting like an over privileged child is quite emparassing. 

Well ur like every uncle who tells a kid what to do what to wear......well on ur face just his record

MOST SUCCESSFUL CAPTAINS (AFTER 23 TESTS)

CAPTAINS WON LOST DRAWN WIN%
Steve Waugh (AUS) 17 4 2 73.91
Virat Kohli (IND) 15 2 6 65.21
Ricky Ponting (AUS) 15 3 5 65.21
Michael Vaughn (ENG) 15 4 4 65.21
Mike Brearley (ENG) 14 1 8 60.87
Don Bradman (AUS) 14 3 6 60.87
Lindsay Hassett (AUS) 14 3 6 60.87
MS Dhoni (IND) 14 3 6

On ur face his record.....u dnt question what working

Rahane as captain.....u shud actually also go n see his captaincy in Zimb were he looked so clueless........

This is how kohli is going to play and shud play.....i knw all those old cricketer, hypocrities like gavaskar n manju willl have issue.....well to hell with them .

The names u mention above waugh dravid has gone on record to admire his attitude coz they knw.....people who look at such things dnt understand every individual play games in their own way

Virat Kohli Reminds Me of My Days As Skipper: Steve Waugh

http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/india-vs-australia-virat-kohli-reminds-me-of-my-days-as-skipper-steve-waugh-1363592.html

Aggressive cricketers like Virat Kohli make it big: Rahul Dravid

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150801/sports-cricket/article/aggressive-cricketers-virat-kohli-make-it-big-rahul-dravid

U shud not put names of cricketers who dnt agree. Me n u have not played cricket at that level....so let these gentlemen tell u

Btw i did notice u subtly put ponting name out of list........u must have anticipated i wud have put many videos of his acts......smart job

26 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Has he done match fixing????

Does he bring a holiday weight on tour like Rohit sharma who half world wants as captain

Why dont u say that about bhajji who went on a show like roadies who encourages such stuff......

Hpw does his cursing bring a disrespect to nation where everyone curses on roads . Why do people have a shame in watching a mirror. 

Again who asked u to look for a replica.......Did dhoni or rahane bring a the sense of improving fitness to the whole team setup. 

So your definition of raising games is acting like an idiot ?  Sachin is the epitome of performance - so you are saying he never raised his game ? 

So ur telling me kohli doesnt win games. HE is just demanding to put that extra effort now in that some will show n some will hide emotions both are well appreciated. But again their choice. 

The whole act of telling someone what to do is the biggest issue i have with old school thinking. Mind ur own bussiness 

Every call, he never questioned every call that exaggerating stuff.....n umpiring standard these days are bizzare

He lacks few things and he ll learn. Why do u expect everyone to be same. I can count so many qualities dhoni didnt have what kohli has......

Kohli can do his antics as a batsman whatever he wants to do but when he is in the role of a captain - he needs to demonstrate some degree of maturity and respect to the country and the sport.   Acting like an over privileged child is quite emparassing. 

Well ur like every uncle who tells a kid what to do what to wear......well on ur face just his record

MS Dhoni (IND) 14 3 6

On ur face his record.....u dnt question what working

Rahane as captain.....u shud actually also go n see his captaincy in Zimb were he looked so clueless........

This is how kohli is going to play and shud play.....i knw all those old cricketer, hypocrities like gavaskar n manju willl have issue.....well to hell with them .

The names u mention above waugh dravid has gone on record to admire his attitude coz they knw.....people who look at such things dnt understand every individual play games in their own way

Virat Kohli Reminds Me of My Days As Skipper: Steve Waugh

http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/india-vs-australia-virat-kohli-reminds-me-of-my-days-as-skipper-steve-waugh-1363592.html

Aggressive cricketers like Virat Kohli make it big: Rahul Dravid

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150801/sports-cricket/article/aggressive-cricketers-virat-kohli-make-it-big-rahul-dravid

U shud not put names of cricketers who dnt agree. Me n u have not played cricket at that level....so let these gentlemen tell u

Btw i did notice u subtly put ponting name out of list........u must have anticipated i wud have put many videos of his acts......smart job

1. Yes  I have seen many more cricketers as committed or if not more committed than Kohli   -    Sachin / Dravid / Kumble / Saurav -  List is endless  .    Have  I seen many cricketers doing acting or being overdramatic like Kohli ?   No.       Also  acting like an ass does not equal commitment.      Don't gauge commitment of a cricketer based on how idiotic he acts.   Might as well  put 11 monkeys on the field - they will show the same energy and over the top acting like Kohli does.
  2.  So lack of match fixing indicates commitment ?   Then I guess I am a candidate to be an Indian Captain as well - might as well make  99 % of the Indian cricketers who have not been in match fixing a candidate for captaincy. 
  3. I am not arguing for Rohit to be the captain
  4.  Never did I say that Bhajji is a role model to the youngsters.
  5.  Cursing on the road is not a model to be followed.  Is that something acceptable because It happens on a daily basis so to replicate that on an international stage ?   Would you play international cricket in the same way you'd play gully cricket ?   There is no shame in watching a mirror but it's more important to try and improve on that behavior , not portray that on an international scale to encourage it. 

1.  Where did I say Dhoni is the ideal captain or follow his replica ?      This isn't following someone else's blueprint .  This is about not making a fool of yourself and act with some sort of decency and not like a chimp off his meds.   It's quite simple.   Ofcourse you shouldn't act in the same way  - bring new flavor / motivate your team thats completely fair.   But acting like a petty spoiled child everytime things do not go your way is also not something anyone likes to see. 

Ofcourse Kohli wins games  , you said that  Kohli acts like this because he "raises" his game   -   my point was you can still "raise" your game without acting over the top.   This isn't the WWE  -  it's a sport -  India has had passionate cricketers -  Yuvi/ Sachin / Saurav / Dravid all have been passionate players but they had the maturity to know where to draw the line -  Making statements like " I am not friends with Australians"   -  That is shameful and embarassing coming from a person who is a captain of an international team in his late 20s playing a sport.  

Why should I  ?  This is a forum for discussion and I am stating my views - if you cannot tolerate that , that's your flaw, not mine.   I do not blind worship and I can see Kohli's fair points but also his flaws. 

MS Dhoni (IND) 14 3 6

I am really not sure how old you are but I will give you a lesson on statistics.   Kohli's sample size as a captain is quite small -  so do not equate Kohli who has been a captain for less than a year with captains like Ponting and Dhoni who have been captaining for more than 10 years and have won multiple World Cups for their teams.    If you like to compare statistics - compare oranges vs oranges .   Compare 10 yr record of Kohli as a captain vs   10 yr record of Dhoni and Ponting.   

Virat Kohli needs to mature as a captain, says Steve Waugh

Brad Haddin also put it quite well  in the India - Australia series

"But as Kohli's runs dried up, he seemed almost to be compensating by getting more confrontational with his words and gestures"
"Those wickets all fell with Australia still in deficit, and all but decided the course of the entire series. It was a passage that said a lot about Umesh as a fast bowler, but also about Rahane as a leader: he showed toughness of mind to recognise the key moment and seize it"

And lastly,  I think you are a seasoned cricket fan so I did not put Ponting in my views thereafter but If you see that as an attempt to subtly take it out , I will explain to you in detail to make it easier for you. 

Ponting has nearly 8-10 years of captaincy with him -  He plays hard and does have his confrontations but not on a regular basis - He sledges and gets under the skin  - Ponting does not abuse his own players ,  Ponting's body language on the field does not look confrontational all the time.   There is no harm in taking a stand once in a while - every captain does that -  Kohli does it  UNNECESSARILY. he does it ALL THE TIME.    That's the difference.    Bringing examples of Ponting over a 8-10 year period of captaincy vs Kohli's 2  years of captaincy isn't fair.    Kohli must have abused his own players and the umpires in 2 years compared to what Ponting has done in 8-10 years.  I hope this clears your confusion or my attempt to "take"  Ponting out.  

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Just wanted to respond to your point about fitness. Kohli is not the first to bring a change in the mentality with fitness. Infact it started way back during Dhoni's tenure. Fitness, running between wickets, athleticism in fielding -- all of these were encouraged and supported by Dhoni over seniority during the transition period. 

Having said that, I have no issue with Kohli and his aggression. He has room for improvement in his reactions but those are trivial things which keeps on changing from time to time. We have a well settled team with plenty of experienced people for all positions. I see us winning lot of games under Kohli which is great. I will be satisfied if he wins as many ICC trophies as Dhoni. 

42 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Yeah we were one of the fittest teams even before Kohli became captain.

The team that won CT2013 was easily the best fielding in the tournament.

IMO the culture shift happened when Dhoni went for younger blood in Aus instead of old legs who didn't contribute much in the field. I think the indian cricketing culture and attitude to fielding changed since then. Before that India used to be clubbed with likes of Pakistan in terms of fielding but thanks to that cultural shift we are now one of the best fielding units around in shorter formats :agree: But we still need to work on close-in caching, especially slip catching, in Tests.

3 hours ago, bleaf27 said:
  1. Yes  I have seen many more cricketers as committed or if not more committed than Kohli   -    Sachin / Dravid / Kumble / Saurav -  List is endless  .    Have  I seen many cricketers doing acting or being overdramatic like Kohli ?   No.       Also  acting like an ass does not equal commitment.      Don't gauge commitment of a cricketer based on how idiotic he acts.   Might as well  put 11 monkeys on the field - they will show the same energy and over the top acting like Kohli does.
  2.  So lack of match fixing indicates commitment ?   Then I guess I am a candidate to be an Indian Captain as well - might as well make  99 % of the Indian cricketers who have not been in match fixing a candidate for captaincy. 
  3. I am not arguing for Rohit to be the captain
  4.  Never did I say that Bhajji is a role model to the youngsters.
  5.  Cursing on the road is not a model to be followed.  Is that something acceptable because It happens on a daily basis so to replicate that on an international stage ?   Would you play international cricket in the same way you'd play gully cricket ?   There is no shame in watching a mirror but it's more important to try and improve on that behavior , not portray that on an international scale to encourage it. 

1.  Where did I say Dhoni is the ideal captain or follow his replica ?      This isn't following someone else's blueprint .  This is about not making a fool of yourself and act with some sort of decency and not like a chimp off his meds.   It's quite simple.   Ofcourse you shouldn't act in the same way  - bring new flavor / motivate your team thats completely fair.   But acting like a petty spoiled child everytime things do not go your way is also not something anyone likes to see. 

Ofcourse Kohli wins games  , you said that  Kohli acts like this because he "raises" his game   -   my point was you can still "raise" your game without acting over the top.   This isn't the WWE  -  it's a sport -  India has had passionate cricketers -  Yuvi/ Sachin / Saurav / Dravid all have been passionate players but they had the maturity to know where to draw the line -  Making statements like " I am not friends with Australians"   -  That is shameful and embarassing coming from a person who is a captain of an international team in his late 20s playing a sport.  

Why should I  ?  This is a forum for discussion and I am stating my views - if you cannot tolerate that , that's your flaw, not mine.   I do not blind worship and I can see Kohli's fair points but also his flaws. 

MS Dhoni (IND) 14 3 6

I am really not sure how old you are but I will give you a lesson on statistics.   Kohli's sample size as a captain is quite small -  so do not equate Kohli who has been a captain for less than a year with captains like Ponting and Dhoni who have been captaining for more than 10 years and have won multiple World Cups for their teams.    If you like to compare statistics - compare oranges vs oranges .   Compare 10 yr record of Kohli as a captain vs   10 yr record of Dhoni and Ponting.   

Virat Kohli needs to mature as a captain, says Steve Waugh

Brad Haddin also put it quite well  in the India - Australia series

"But as Kohli's runs dried up, he seemed almost to be compensating by getting more confrontational with his words and gestures"
"Those wickets all fell with Australia still in deficit, and all but decided the course of the entire series. It was a passage that said a lot about Umesh as a fast bowler, but also about Rahane as a leader: he showed toughness of mind to recognise the key moment and seize it"

And lastly,  I think you are a seasoned cricket fan so I did not put Ponting in my views thereafter but If you see that as an attempt to subtly take it out , I will explain to you in detail to make it easier for you. 

Ponting has nearly 8-10 years of captaincy with him -  He plays hard and does have his confrontations but not on a regular basis - He sledges and gets under the skin  - Ponting does not abuse his own players ,  Ponting's body language on the field does not look confrontational all the time.   There is no harm in taking a stand once in a while - every captain does that -  Kohli does it  UNNECESSARILY. he does it ALL THE TIME.    That's the difference.    Bringing examples of Ponting over a 8-10 year period of captaincy vs Kohli's 2  years of captaincy isn't fair.    Kohli must have abused his own players and the umpires in 2 years compared to what Ponting has done in 8-10 years.  I hope this clears your confusion or my attempt to "take"  Ponting out.  

Ok lets just agree to disagree we can go on n on......

End result will only be shown how kohli  takes this team forward. 

What idiotic behaviour in my books is what sreesanth did......what kohli is doing will be done by many in future. Why becoz this generation grew watching the mighty aussies. Why people are not able to digest kohli aggresion its becoz none of the past successful crickter was as aggresive as him. Till now it has worked wonder. 

Old school wnt b able to digest it.....but ull have to live with it. Times have changed n things will change 360 deg. Ull get calm characters but the new breed of crickters will be in ur face and i truely beilve in future the indian side wud be the most aggresive on field and ppl will not like it. As i said moral policing exist in our cultural from homes to smallest of road corners. 

This team has learned under dhoni to win n become champions.

Now under kohli  they shud opp like how aussies use to do. 

34 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Yeah we were one of the fittest teams even before Kohli became captain.

The team that won CT2013 was easily the best fielding in the tournament.

Yes it was, dhoni demanded fit players.

But kohli  has asked them to raise fitness level so they dnt loose out on last hours of a day in test which were the gr8 aussies  sides made the diff.

He has already asked ashwin n rohit . Yes this started with dhoni but this guy is taking it a to a diff level. Harabhajan also mentioned in an interview how kohli didny appreciate his poor fitness and motivated him to work. 

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ok lets just agree to disagree we can go on n on......

End result will only be shown how kohli  takes this team forward. 

What idiotic behaviour in my books is what sreesanth did......what kohli is doing will be done by many in future. Why becoz this generation grew watching the mighty aussies. Why people are not able to digest kohli aggresion its becoz none of the past successful crickter was as aggresive as him. Till now it has worked wonder. 

Old school wnt b able to digest it.....but ull have to live with it. Times have changed n things will change 360 deg. Ull get calm characters but the new breed of crickters will be in ur face and i truely beilve in future the indian side wud be the most aggresive on field and ppl will not like it. As i said moral policing exist in our cultural from homes to smallest of road corners. 

This team has learned under dhoni to win n become champions.

Now under kohli  they shud opp like how aussies use to do. 

Yes it was, dhoni demanded fit players.

But kohli  has asked them to raise fitness level so they dnt loose out on last hours of a day in test which were the gr8 aussies  sides made the diff.

He has already asked ashwin n rohit . Yes this started with dhoni but this guy is taking it a to a diff level. Harabhajan also mentioned in an interview how kohli didny appreciate his poor fitness and motivated him to work. 

Well Aussie may not necessarily be the blue print to follow -  South Africa battles hard and Aussies in terms of sledging sure once in a while is fine -  The issue with Kohli is the constant switch that never goes off and it is horrible when he turns it against his own fielders and players when playing IPL or Domestic.    But aggression doesn't necessarily means results.   India under Dhoni and with greats like Dravid / Sachin has shown that without overt aggression also you can achieve great success thus Aggression isn't necessary for success. 

I do not have a problem in players standing up for themselves or getting into faces of other players if they get in yours but Kohli is acting like a prima donna where he always wants the limelight and tends to go overboard.  He needs to mature quite a bit and put a filter on his behavior.   Cursing your players if they misfield or drop a catch or argue with an Umpire if they not give a decision your way or go berserk in the dressing room when you get out isn't professional or responsible to say the least. 

I am not sure why you see Aussies in such a high light - and if you do I hope its to mimic their effort and skills not in terms of behavior.