'Hindization' - Passports to be in both English and HINDI: Sushma Swaraj

Rohit S. Ambani

how are Tamils even opposing this ? hypocrisy at best from Tamil posters opposing this. you go tamilnadu no one will talk to you in english or hindhi. Tamil govt rewards for naming your child in tamil. They shove tamil not even impose. They should first go and change their own state than lecture others. 

18 hours ago, NareshK said:

Whether anyone likes it or not, English will become the most spoken language among educated people in India in the near future.

Popularity of English increased with English medium schools and its also the language widely used in offices. Learning Hindi is not necessary for day to day life in non Hindi states even though many non Hindi people do learn Hindi than vice versa.

In future, most people will speak in their native language with family and with others who know the same language and use English with others. This way you continue to preserve your language and dont impose your language on others. I think its fair game in a multi lingual, multi cultural country like India. We need to respect the diversity of our country and accept that the population is not one homogeneous group. That's what has worked in India to remain united all these years.

If you happen to move to a state where they dont speak your language or if they cant speak English, you just have to learn a few loan words to get by. Lots of Hindi people have lived in South for decades and still cant speak the local language properly and they get by quite fine.

In hyderabad, kids may or may not speak telugu but they speak Hindi. Won't say this is an ideal scenario but this is what is happening.

I am for religional languages...But Hindi will still find a very strong space as the connect language of India. Most non-Tamils (almost one hundred percent) who I know, can speak n understand atleast basic hindi (basic, not in depth). It's a matter of time before all Tamil kids (one hundred percent Tamil kids) will also start speaking basic Hindi and then, the Hindi opposition will die its natural death.

Our own PM who is a native gujarati speaker, but yet he instead chooses to speak one of our own languages Hindi as it's more widely spoken. So why can't many south indians do the same thing? There is nothing wrong in learning Hindi, and if they are scared or intimated by just seeing any Hindi signs/logos, it's completely illogical. When people learn English, it's not English imposition. But when it comes to Hindi, suddenly, many go paranoid. There shouldn't be any difference between learning Hindi & English in our country, both are essential if you want navigate around India.

11 hours ago, someone said:

Our own PM who is a native gujarati speaker, but yet he instead chooses to speak one of our own languages Hindi as it's more widely spoken. So why can't many south indians do the same thing? There is nothing wrong in learning Hindi, and if they are scared or intimated by just seeing any Hindi signs/logos, it's completely illogical. When people learn English, it's not English imposition. But when it comes to Hindi, suddenly, many go paranoid. There shouldn't be any difference between learning Hindi & English in our country, both are essential if you want navigate around India.

Because Goras ruled both north and south. Once North is sufficiently ahead economically, it can dictate on language policy (Actually at that point, it won't have to. Knowledge of Hindi would be a necessity). 

Edited by surajmal

31 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Because Goras ruled both north and south. Once North is sufficiently ahead economically, it can dictate on language policy (Actually at that point, it won't have to. Knowledge of Hindi would be a necessity). 

Hindi opposition is concentrated almost entirely in TN. Even in TN, many people understand the importance and the meaning of learning Hindi. So not all Tamils are Hindi opposers. No need to dictate, Hindi opposition in TN will die it's natural death alongwith the current generation of opposers in a couple of generations (40-50 yrs)

Edited by randomGuy

On 2017-6-24 at 11:27 PM, StriKe said:

95%+ indians speak and understand basic Hindi.

No.

Rest of the states have embraced it w/o problem.

No

Even more than 95% for youngsters (20-30 yrs olds). If you ask youngsters today all over India, perhaps 98-99% of them speak n understand basic Hindi. If you don't understand Hindi today as an indian youngster, u r in 1-2% minority.

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Even more than 95% for youngsters (20-30 yrs olds). If you ask youngsters today all over India, perhaps 98-99% of them speak n understand basic Hindi. If you don't understand Hindi today as an indian youngster, u r in 1-2% minority.

they understand basic urdu. Aka bollywood taporigiri. Shudh hindi, outside of hindi belt,very few understand.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

they understand basic urdu. Aka bollywood taporigiri. Shudh hindi, outside of hindi belt,very few understand.

Impure Hindi, basic Hindi, tuti footi Hindi, urdu-ized Hindi...all is sufficient sirji...

Not just the north and the west, from the remote village in Arunachal or Jharkhand or Orissa to even the cancerous anti-indian seperatists of Kashmir, basic Hindi is understood by everyone. Even in South, the almost the entire opposition is in TN. And even in TN, not all people oppose Hindi. Two of my colleagues from TN, one studied in Anna univ. in TN , even then he tried speaking Hindi and the other chewtiya who studied at BITS Pilani (up in the north) , pretended as if he doesn't understand a word of Hindi.

45 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Impure Hindi, basic Hindi, tuti footi Hindi, urdu-ized Hindi...all is sufficient sirji...

Not just the north and the west, from the remote village in Arunachal or Jharkhand or Orissa to even the cancerous anti-indian seperatists of Kashmir, basic Hindi is understood by everyone. Even in South, the almost the entire opposition is in TN. And even in TN, not all people oppose Hindi. Two of my colleagues from TN, one studied in Anna univ. in TN , even then he tried speaking Hindi and the other chewtiya who studied at BITS Pilani (up in the north) , pretended as if he doesn't understand a word of Hindi.

No.

Basic hindi isn't understood by most in rural Bengal, even in Kolkata you can run across people who barely understand hindi/can deduce somewhat from some similarities with Bengali.

On 2017-6-23 at 8:47 PM, rahulrulezz said:

We Indians rather have English on our passports than Hindi because Hindi is not spoken in every state??

no wonder why Mughals and Britishers ruled us for hundreds of years 

we rather have a Mughal king than a Rajput king from Mewar as Rajasthani Rajput can't rule over us...we rather have Aurangzeb than a Maratha king as their customs are different. This is the exact reason why we were never together. 

There will be riots if some one suggested Tamil/Kananda/Marathi on your passports .

The point is why Hindi ? 

11 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Hindi opposition is concentrated almost entirely in TN. Even in TN, many people understand the importance and the meaning of learning Hindi. So not all Tamils are Hindi opposers. No need to dictate, Hindi opposition in TN will die it's natural death alongwith the current generation of opposers in a couple of generations (40-50 yrs)

A lot more people do speak and understand Hindi these days , but in my experience a lot more than ever are also turning anti-hindi . 

44 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

There will be riots if some one suggested Tamil/Kananda/Marathi on your passports .

The point is why Hindi ? 

Because Hindi is not any any other regional language of India which is understood only by it's native speakers. 

Your Tamil,  Kannada,  Marathi basically caters to people of their respective regions only while Hindi is a common denominator in majority of regions in India. 

Four people of different ethnicities in a Non-Hindi City like Mumbai are more likely to communicate with each other in Hindi or Kannada/Tamil/Marathi? You know the answer and ask why is that? 

Let's not pretend for a minute that Hindi is just on par with any regional language because if it was then  I and many millions of other of Non -Hindi backgrounds would have no knowledge of it,  just like a Punjabi has no knowledge of Tamil. 

Edited by rageaddict

is urdu more popular in india than hindi? vernacular language used is a mix..i.e historically referred to as hindustani

tv shows and bollywood use a lot more urdu based persian/arabic loan words and increasingly more in 'hindi' dramas.  it's become more 'natural' than using some of the sanskritized hindi words

zehn

filhaal

zarooi/lazmi
Khush fehmi
khudkhushi

zamana, mausam, tabeeyat,

etc

when you have hear hindi dubbed version of bahubali, it sounds un-natural and forced tbh.

16 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Because Hindi is not any any other regional language of India which is understood only by it's native speakers. 

Your Tamil,  Kannada,  Marathi basically caters to people of their respective regions only while Hindi is a common denominator in majority of regions in India. 

Four people of different ethnicities in a Non-Hindi City like Mumbai are more likely to communicate with each other in Hindi or Kannada/Tamil/Marathi? You know the answer and ask why is that? 

Let's not pretend for a minute that Hindi is just on par with any regional language because if it was then  I and many millions of other of Non -Hindi backgrounds would have no knowledge of it,  just like a Punjabi has no knowledge of Tamil. 

Sir Ji am aware of that , am a Southie who speaks very fluent Hindi and living in Bangalore I use more Hindi on a daily basis than my mother tongue which am extremely proud off too . 

So Iam not disputing that Hindi will continue to be important for us . 

My issue is with imposing the language . I like to give real life examples , hers one ( of many many )  which I experienced very recently . I picked up an new apartment , which is getting ready to move in and all owners are part of a watsapp group . They have just 3-4 security guards now since only 1-2 families have moved in and the discussion was about lack of security . I see after a while we have couple of guys complaining about these guys not being able to speak Hindi and demanding getting rid of them . I had to intervene and at my diplomatic best said its unreasonable to expect these guys who come from remote areas to speak Hindi and its not fair to kick them out cos of that . Assuming since I was a local , some of them now started suggesting we need to get a guys who could speak Kannada and Hindi ? 

I had to clarify again , I dont really care weather the guy is a Kannada , Hindi , my first issue is we will not throw some one out cos he cannot speak a certain language . if the argument is that we have lot of NI residents who speak only Hindi , then what about Tamil guys who do not understand Hindi ? Not surprisingly expect for one guy who seemed sensible no else got my point . I will bet this uneducated guard will learn few words of Hindi in next couple of months , but some of our educated brothers from north after having lived here for more than a decade let alone learning a few words cannot tolerate a local guy speaking his language . 

in the end I know I look like a anti-hindi local in Bangalore , but I will keep making it clear to people who do not understand . While no one is expecting you to learn local languages , you simply cannot demand the locals learn Hindi . Thats just wrong and thats exactly the reason why we see a backlash from locals .

Ohh and very important thing, Hindi learning efforts from TN people and all non native Hindi speakers must be appreciated. It must be hard to learn a new language. It's totally understandable if they don't want to learn it. But please don't oppose it.