Ramkumar Ramanathan upsets World no.8 Dominic Thiem 6-3, 6-2

Cricketics

24 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Great result for Ramanathan and Indian tennis. But they were playing in an empty stadium ?!? shocking- its 1 of 2 Atp event in turkey and an empty stadium seems odd...

Antalyan open never gets big crowd, from my earlier memories of this tournament.

No wonder there is no consistent tv coverage. 

Chennai Open which is also pathetic draws bigger crowd than this tournament after being 250 event.

4 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

that's something, and thiem is by no means a pushover in grass.

is he now the highest ranked male singles player of India?

no Yuki Bhambri is, but when the actually ranking come out, Ram K might replace Yuki and also if they both play tomorrow, I am sure Yuki will beat him, but this is a brilliant win by Ram K.

For next few months, Yuki is not defending anything, so he can easily make it to US Open qualies and Ram Kumar too. 

We have few interesting young players in singles to look forward too. 

12 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

no Yuki Bhambri is, but when the actually ranking come out, Ram K might replace Yuki and also if they both play tomorrow, I am sure Yuki will beat him, but this is a brilliant win by Ram K.

For next few months, Yuki is not defending anything, so he can easily make it to US Open qualies and Ram Kumar too. 

We have few interesting young players in singles to look forward too. 

I read that Thiem was no where near his dominating best and was quite average? Anyway this is good for indian tennis. India has lost quite a few tennis players recently, who never performed to their potential, eg Somdev, Bhambri etc.

12 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I read that Thiem was no where near his dominating best and was quite average? Anyway this is good for indian tennis. India has lost quite a few tennis players recently, who never performed to their potential, eg Somdev, Bhambri etc.

He might not be at his best or is the best grass player around but fans make too much about out of it. Thiem is not the greatest player on grass, but still is pretty good whom I expect to have a decent run in Wimbledon. 

There are many anti-Thiem folks on MTF and other places who would bring about anything to bring Thiem down, just like we have Anti-Kohli and Anti-Dhoni folks on site here. 

take the news with a pinch of salt. Thiem didnt want to be there.

Ramkumar is far far from ready to defeat top 50 players. he has to demonstrate top 175 level first.his backhand returns are abysmal.

yuki already is around 130 level due to superior experience, just unlucky with injuries.but ramkumar could scale higher eventually.