Can Shastri be snubbed again?

SK_IH

Can Shastri be snubbed again?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can Shastri be snubbed again?

6 minutes ago, The Outsider said:

Yeah, nothing concrete to support it except anecdotal evidence. Unlike Warne (for whom a similar thing is said in the context of Australia), Shastri didn't really captain the Bombay Ranji team regularly either. In his favor, at least in tests, he used to play the game according to the situation like not throwing it away before breaks or being able to accelerate when the situation demanded. But that would largely be because he was from the Bombay school of batting and not necessarily related to any tactical genius on his part. He certainly could/should have played tests for a few more years but in those days tests and ODI sides were pretty much the same and his ODI game had really gone down the drain when he was dropped. It was a torture to watch him bat in the '92 WC and he was responsible for the losses against Australia and England by batting like a snail before he was dropped for the rest of the tournament. 

This was mostly how Shastri batted in general.

8 minutes ago, The Outsider said:

Yeah, nothing concrete to support it except anecdotal evidence. Unlike Warne (for whom a similar thing is said in the context of Australia), Shastri didn't really captain the Bombay Ranji team regularly either. In his favor, at least in tests, he used to play the game according to the situation like not throwing it away before breaks or being able to accelerate when the situation demanded. But that would largely be because he was from the Bombay school of batting and not necessarily related to any tactical genius on his part. He certainly could/should have played tests for a few more years but in those days tests and ODI sides were pretty much the same and his ODI game had really gone down the drain when he was dropped. It was a torture to watch him bat in the '92 WC and he was responsible for the losses against Australia and England by batting like a snail before he was dropped for the rest of the tournament. 

i think i am getting more n more convinced him being a great captain must have started because the way he is generally ,very positive and in your face ,people might have confused that with captaincy

more i see kohli more i think kohli is pretty much same that why the mutual liking

If Tendulkar is backing him so strongly,it is unlikely he will be snubbed again unless he skypes his interview again with a bear mug in hand wearing a tutu shirt and coconuts on his chest.

Tendulkar supported him last time too but dada and vvs voted for kumble...and that experiment failed badly.

9 minutes ago, Vijy said:

This was mostly how Shastri batted in general.

As an opener in ODIs, yes. Which was okay if there was a Srikkanth at the other end. But Srikkanth himself was finished by the time of the '92 WC so Shastri's innings started to hurt even more. He was decent in the lower middle order positions in general, nothing like Kapil obviously, but would score at a fair clip for those time. 

11 minutes ago, The Outsider said:

As an opener in ODIs, yes. Which was okay if there was a Srikkanth at the other end. But Srikkanth himself was finished by the time of the '92 WC so Shastri's innings started to hurt even more. He was decent in the lower middle order positions in general, nothing like Kapil obviously, but would score at a fair clip for those time. 

I remember him charging down to Donald and co without much result ,in his last series in 92 :laugh: ...This was on indias tour to SA when he was playing in the middle-lower middle order.... didn't do too well but looked like he changed his game but by then it was too late...it all ended.

Edited by maniac
37 minutes ago, The Outsider said:

it was a torture to watch him bat in the '92 WC and he was responsible for the losses against Australia and England by batting like a snail before he was dropped for the rest of the tournament. 

Shiv Chanderpaul has said that "Ravi Shastri is my hero". 

35 minutes ago, maniac said:

I remember him charging down to Donald and co without much result ,in his last series in 92 :laugh: ...This was on indias tour to SA when he was playing in the middle-lower middle order.... didn't do too well but looked like he changed his game but by then it was too late...it all ended.

He also had a large fan following among girls because he was one of the first Indian cricketers to put in dives on the field. It's another matter he used to dive after the ball was already past him.:facepalm:

1 hour ago, beetle said:

If Tendulkar is backing him so strongly,it is unlikely he will be snubbed again unless he skypes his interview again with a bear mug in hand wearing a tutu shirt and coconuts on his chest.

Tendulkar supported him last time too but dada and vvs voted for kumble...and that experiment failed badly.

ok that was brutal, a mental image that i can not forget.

1 hour ago, beetle said:

This time, he will probably be selected even if he shows up "au natural"

Just now, Sloane84 said:

I was joking :wp1:

Actually Shastri was a good counter to several other attacking players - Srikant, Vengsarkar, Azhar etc.

It was fine, if some of them were firing. Otherwise, he could really bog the team down. His batting in 87 WC was an example of that.