Dhoni back in Top 10 ODI batting rankings [Joint at Top 10]

velu

3 minutes ago, Khota said:

I did not  take 2015 but fair enough.

as you can see Raina, Dhawan, Kohli, and Sharma outscored him. rahane was close.Under these controlled conditions these four batsman were ahead of him.

2017 CT once again thogh sample size is small he clearly failed to produce.

There is nothing that shows to me that he walks on water.

who is claiming that ? top 10 is not exactly walking on water. on the other side we have you claiming he is the worst Indian bat, how does that statement workout at the face of pure facts ?

1 minute ago, Khota said:

I am taking this data as this is not a controlled sample but nothing stands out.

IPl is about as closed to controlled sample you will get and he is terrible.

Once again he does not stand out.

Like I said he hit the last six to win but that was totally unneccasry. A good coach would have told him to play safe. 6 is a very low percentage shot and cricket analysed critically is a game of percentages.No need to hit that. There was no upside to that shot.

controlled sample ?? we are talking statistical sampling not analytical chemistry. Why do you need to control or restrict to IPL? why and how do you explain knowing IPL better based on stats than ODI cricket. And Dhoni is top 10 in ODI not IPL, IPL stats will come in if we are claiming Dhoni is top 10 in IPL. bah i feel i am chatting with a kid. 

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

insults dont work with me, its useless.

amid all the clutter and clouded thought trolling and cute attempts at bravado , i see you are trying to make one feeble point. bi-laterals are less than multi-laterals, there is no reasoning still given against sample size covering the period in question. You dont need a sample actually to judge why he is ranked high, just look at his stats for 2017. 

respond to my posts with that. 

Now we are both acting in a mature manner. 

Bilaterals like this SL series does not reveal anything. Tournament with multiple bowlers similar pitches are a better indicator. A run scored against Dennis Lillee is not same as one scored against a random bowler. That is what makes cricket averages absolutely useless.

6 minutes ago, Vilander said:

who is claiming that ? top 10 is not exactly walking on water. on the other side we have you claiming he is the worst Indian bat, how does that statement workout at the face of pure facts ?

Top ten is impressive and if you crack that you are amazing. My contention is that he is a beneficiary of a flawed ranking system. In my heart I do not believe he is top ten in India let alone the world. 

I do respect him so it is not personal.

Just now, Khota said:

Now we are both acting in a mature manner. 

Bilaterals like this SL series does not reveal anything. Tournament with multiple bowlers similar pitches are a better indicator. A run scored against Dennis Lillee is not same as one scored against a random bowler. That is what makes cricket averages absolutely useless.

i have been from the start.

The stat i gave is for entire 2017( Multiple oppositions, tournaments, pitches), you can easily look at past 12 months and extend the sample, from his stats page in cricinfo its still a ridiculous average check it out. 

ok he still scored runs and at 85+ strikerate, how is that bad ? lol

4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

controlled sample ?? we are talking statistical sampling not analytical chemistry. Why do you need to control or restrict to IPL? why and how do you explain knowing IPL better based on stats than ODI cricket. And Dhoni is top 10 in ODI not IPL, IPL stats will come in if we are claiming Dhoni is top 10 in IPL. bah i feel i am chatting with a kid. 

I am a kid but that does not mean we cannot discuss. IPL is a better metrics because ove a two month period you are exposed to the same pitches and same set of bowlers. This is more meaningful rather than abusing SL and calling yourself a hero. Dhoni is done.

2 minutes ago, Khota said:

Top ten is impressive and if you crack that you are amazing. My contention is that he is a beneficiary of a flawed ranking system. In my heart I do not believe he is top ten in India let alone the world. 

I do respect him so it is not personal.

cricket as a game is played at the highest level in ODI by what 9 teams. out of that WI,SL,BD,Eng,Pak make more than half and Dhoni played four of them well in the 2017 period. So if you believe top 10 bat in cricket odi is impressive, then he seems to have earned it no wonder you have respect for him.

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

i have been from the start.

The stat i gave is for entire 2017( Multiple oppositions, tournaments, pitches), you can easily look at past 12 months and extend the sample, from his stats page in cricinfo its still a ridiculous average check it out. 

ok he still scored runs and at 85+ strikerate, how is that bad ? lol

Look at 2017 carefully. One good inning against England is all he have. You take SL out and do you think he is good. Not in my book.Dhoni is toast.

2 minutes ago, Khota said:

I am a kid but that does not mean we cannot discuss. IPL is a better metrics because ove a two month period you are exposed to the same pitches and same set of bowlers. This is more meaningful rather than abusing SL and calling yourself a hero. Dhoni is done.

IPL stats are better or worse is a anecdotal discussion, as international teams do not play IPL teams you can not form statistical opinion on it. IPL is IPL. ODI is ODI. 

Meaning top 10 in ODI needs to be seen based on ODI performances.  A young person with limited mathematical exposure should still understand this, as its mere co-relation.

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

cricket as a game is played at the highest level in ODI by what 9 teams. out of that WI,SL,BD,Eng,Pak make more than half and Dhoni played four of them well in the 2017 period. So if you believe top 10 bat in cricket odi is impressive, then he seems to have earned it no wonder you have respect for him.

2017 stat.

Pakistan Fail

SA DNB

England one good inning

WI OK

You cannot spin this one. Dhoni sucks.

I am tired. We will resume later.

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

IPL stats are better or worse is a anecdotal discussion, as international teams do not play IPL teams you can not form statistical opinion on it. IPL is IPL. ODI is ODI. 

Meaning top 10 in ODI needs to be seen based on ODI performances.  A young person with limited mathematical exposure should still understand this, as its mere co-relation.

Last one today. ODI is ODI agreed. ODI in controlled conditiond like CT is fine or WC is fine. In either case he does not stand out. See where it is going?

7 hours ago, Vilander said:

again what do you mean by controlled ? you seem to drop words without understanding them. 

Controlled means:

In statistics, controlling for a variable is the attempt to reduce the effect of confounding variables on an observational study. It means that when looking at the effect of one variable, all other variable predictors are held constant.

Let us say Vilander scores 10 runs against Brett Lee and I score 100 against Nathu Lal. Looking at simple stats shows I am better but since the variable in this case is the bowler we cannot honestly say I am better. You may be way better.

Like I said before cricket averages done straight up are meaningless.

7 hours ago, Vilander said:

Mod = Troll/baiter = site loosing visitors. :bow:

I think this si a honest discussion going on. No name calling please and we may see each others point of view. Mods are well within their rights on this one to let it continue. We may have to tone it down which we have.

1 minute ago, Khota said:

I think this si a honest discussion going on. No name calling please and we may see each others point of view. Mods are well within their rights on this one to let it continue. We may have to tone it down which we have.

Not intended for your khote account. Intended for the obvious troll one.lol