Thommo - how quick was he?'

21 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

bowlers from the 1920s and 1930s bowled much faster and easily broke the 100mph barrier.

Its the volume of cricket played which has reduced speeds if anything

agree. in fact when cricket started in days of WG Grace, bowlers could easily hit 125mph and he averaged 32 in test cricket facing such extreme pace where likes of George Lohmann averaged 10 in test cricket.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Whats laughable, is you can tell whether a bowler is 140kph or not, sitting behind a tv and losing complete 3d perspective, while a professional who's faced a cricket ball thousand times more than you have, in a professional setting, are all wrong. 

We have two words for it: egotistical nonsense.

Yes, I can do that now because i have been seeing bowlers under speed guns for last 18 years and I know what 145 kph bowling looks like. 

8 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:
4 hours ago, rkt.india said:
no one said Waqar was not quick but his quick years didnt last long. 1996 WC is an example where Ajay Jadeja thrashed him. He was certainly under 140 after 95.

No.Thats in correct. In 1996 he was clocked at 90mph in england.

you read it in hari phoram. post evidence.

26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yes, I can do that now because i have been seeing bowlers under speed guns for last 18 years and I know what 145 kph bowling looks like. 

Ghantabhai has a failed central processing unit ,in the modern era, and between 22 yards n after that where keeper stands, u can get a good idea of pace,yes Black n white days, frame rates in olden days it was difficult, the ball travels at real time as captured by camera, hence once can measure time taken to travel the 22 yards to be precise.

In which case, you provide links to prove Waqar was bowling above 150 for more than 10 occassions. Wont ask you to quote 50. Waiting!
There was a video on youtube.From 93-94 in that Waqar Younis was clocked at 150k and it was shown on Tv.Pak tour of NZ.Sadly that account and video is gone now.

But Younis was undobtedly 150ks.Even in England in 1993.
8 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

There was a video on youtube.From 93-94 in that Waqar Younis was clocked at 150k and it was shown on Tv.Pak tour of NZ.Sadly that account and video is gone now.

Yes, in 1993, he would have been clicking over 145 kph. He was very fast on his debut too certainly every quick mid to high 140s but by 96 he had slowed down when Jadeja had thrashed him. Waqar used to be my favourite bowler and I used to copy his bowling style.

16 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

His odd balls were quick. About 6 months ago, I had posted several videos of Waqar clocking early 130's in 94. Waqar at his quickest would be in 140-147ish range.

But post 94-95, he was mostly a 130 bowler.

His odd balls were quick. About 6 months ago, I had posted several videos of Waqar clocking early 130's in 94. Waqar at his quickest would be in 140-147ish range.
But post 94-95, he was mostly a 130 bowler.
Even in 2000s he was bowling 85mph.

At his fastest he was 150 plus.Its on record.153ks in england in 1993.
17 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

At his fastest he was 150 plus.Its on record.153ks in england in 1993.

Yes .... that's right . And Waqar was really fast then.

But a fastest ball of early 150s is pretty standard for all fast bowlers these days

Our own Umesh, Aaron, Ishant and Shami all have fastest balls of 151 k to 153 k .

The very few express bowlers 1999 onwards have all clocked 160 k or very close.

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

You know what an optical illusion looks like, nothing more. What you are doing, is akin to a guy yelling at the top of his lungs that there is water at the horizon in a desert. Because he can 'see it'. 

Look, your claim that you can tell what 145kph looks like on tv, is demonstrably false. I can use Physics to show, how you are incorrect. 

And what is laughable, is a guy who is seeing a 2d projection of a 3d image from a vantage point in the stands, thinks he knows better than professionals who are dealing with the 3d image in real time. That is laughably conceited.

12 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Yes, Lara had a very high backlift and bowlers with decent pace could beat him. Even Munaf Patel in 2006 series consistently troubled him and got him LBW too with full straight deliveries and then to counter Munaf he had to shortened his backlift and also batted outside the crease. Lara was damn good at short stuff but cant same about when balls full and at good pace. 

Lara did not have a high back-lift after 1998. Infact, his famous 1999 series against Australia is noted because he came out of his 3-4 year long slump of inconsistency by consulting Garry Sobers, who asked him to reduce his back-lift.