Will India ever be able to have anything like the Ashes?

G_B_

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Non Aussie/Brit Ashes lovers remind me of people at super expensive restaurants who try cuisines which are nicely decorated but are bland in taste and unfulfilling. They're there not for the food but for the brand. Whereas at a roadside dhaba near a small town would serve you fulfilling food at a cheap price.

To be honest, the best test cricket I've watched is Australia vs South Africa, I would have loved to watch Australia vs West Indies in the 80's, looked pretty engaging.

Aussie were rubbish against great West Indies as their great players of 70s retired and some players were banned for rebel tour to South Africa.

On 11/22/2017 at 9:57 AM, sarchasm said:

You claim, Ashes is the biggest event in test cricket? But big in terms of what?

In terms of eyeballs, India vs Zinbabwe T20 in Harare gets more eyeballs that first day of Ashes at Gabba.

And the real measure of 'bigness', that is money, comfortably weighs in favor of India vs Zimboks T20 than an entire Ashes test. And I am quoting James Sutherland himself on this bit of factoid.

Then you proceed to make a subjective claim about legacy. But legacy is a factor of time. And India already is investing in one such event, it's called the IPL. Give the IPL another decade and you'd see where it stands not just WRT Ashes but international cricket itself. Everything will be sideshow around the IPL.

I am going to up vote this part of the response.

16 hours ago, Gollum said:

India-SA can compete with the Ashes. For Brits and Aussies Ashes will always be the be all, end all. Indo-Pak matches are impossible. Why not try to develop the India-SA series as a marquee series? We both have history right from the apartheid days, we were the 1st team to welcome them back into the fold of international cricket. And India-SA test matches are blockbuster, can remember so many quality series' between the 2 teams. While we have never won in SA, all the tours there have been competitive unlike our tours to Aus and Eng. Among visitors no other team has pushed us to the limits like the Saffers. Whilst I hate the name Gandhi-Mandela trophy (It should have been Kallis-Tendulkar) but this trophy has serious potential. Play 4 tests (not 3 or two) every 2 years on a home away basis and market it well, no reason why this can't rival the Ashes. 

this is a good concept, with pak busy with terrorism we need some nice sized country that has a good cricket team. SA is very comfortably placed there is much potential.

yes see this is what I mean

Why not develop India v SA as a big thing? Both countries have an ideal time difference.

Lets make this a 5 match test series just like the Ashes. Spin it well. Maybe this is the first all day night major test series. Instead we have a patchwork of tests/series v Sa.

Sa would be more than happy with the money. Lets have competitive pitches in both Sa and India in which pacers and spinners both have a say to boost competitive cricket.

The problem lay with the BCCI. Nobody knows what the new admin 2-3 years from now will do. Srini made SA a personal ego thing.

2 hours ago, G_B_ said:

yes see this is what I mean

Why not develop India v SA as a big thing? Both countries have an ideal time difference.

Lets make this a 5 match test series just like the Ashes. Spin it well. Maybe this is the first all day night major test series. Instead we have a patchwork of tests/series v Sa.

Sa would be more than happy with the money. Lets have competitive pitches in both Sa and India in which pacers and spinners both have a say to boost competitive cricket.

The problem lay with the BCCI. Nobody knows what the new admin 2-3 years from now will do. Srini made SA a personal ego thing.

Not sure if I agree with you on this.  BCCI-CSA had amazingly good relations pre-Lorgat.   

5 hours ago, Pakistan said:

Aussie were rubbish against great West Indies as their great players of 70s retired and some players were banned for rebel tour to South Africa.

Still more engaging than any of ashes games, except for 2005 series which was genuinely an entertaining series.

Are you interested in watching Gilchrist smashing wayward bowling of Caddick and Giles nonchalantly for the sake of 'history' or 'tradition'?

On 11/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, MechEng said:

Still more engaging than any of ashes games, except for 2005 series which was genuinely an entertaining series.

Are you interested in watching Gilchrist smashing wayward bowling of Caddick and Giles nonchalantly for the sake of 'history' or 'tradition'?

They helped England win back to back away test series in Pakistan and Sri Lanka before they faced Steve Waugh's all conquering Aussie team.

West Indies beat Aussies so badly that Aussie captain cried in a press conference and resigned as captain. Border took over from as he was the only good player left in the team and he brought the likes of Dean Jones, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh etc into Aussie team.