Half of my career over, no point thinking about Test record: Rohit Sharma

1 hour ago, maniac said:

We already are on the same page he was a poor test captain,so no arguing that

ok fair enough he won the WT20 in 2007,he got kicked out in the first round in 2009,2010,2012.....How many captains have lasted so many failures?  was it justified for him to go on and on and on despute failures in that format-so now that is 2/3 formats where he was a failure.

Now coming to ODI cricket-Dhoni is a serviceable player in this format no doubt unlike the other 2 formats. I believe no one had a problem with him captaining in 2015 WC  as the captain of the defending champions.

I have said many times before I was a big fan of Dhoni the player till 2011(never rated his captaincy but thought he was a lucky mascot) .

Those world T20s are flawed argument because there used to be a World T20 almost every odd year at that time. LOL.

So lets look into it objectively.

Dhoni won us the inaugural World T20 in 2007 and he became the talk of the town. Dravid stepped down from captaincy next and MSD got to lead the ODI team as well (and deservedly so). In his very first tour in 2008 he won us the Tri series in Australia  (first Indian captain to do so). Suddenly 'WOW' factor got attached to him and people realized that T20 win was no fluke. BCCI started thinking of Dhoni as 'long term captain'. Immediately in 2009 & 2010 T20 WC India lost badly. But selectors could never even think of removing a captain who just won you the WC and a trophy in Australia couple of years ago. That was out of question.

Kumble retired and MSD got to lead the test side too. Team India under MS didn't lose a single test (all in India) for first 3 years. Suddenly people felt, wow now that's the captain for ages.

Next the World cup 2011 was in India and no team had won a WC at home up until then. MSD led side not only won the cup but he played a pivotal role as a batsman in the finals. The punchline 'Midas Touch...whatever he touches turns into gold' attached with him. Removing him from captain was a distant thought.  In between he was winning all those IPL titles (2010, 2011) and there was no touching him.

India started away test series and got blanked in England. People raised eyebrows and did a 'Urghh' but still removing an all conquering Dhoni was out of question. Lets give him some more time was the general perception. 2012 was the worst phase for him with those whitewashes in Australia and perhaps was the right time to strip his test captaincy. And there were murmurs in BCCI quarters as well regarding the same. But question was who? Big 3 (Sachin, Dravid, VVS) were almost at the end of their career. Sehwag & Gambo was struggling as a player and Kohli was yet to make his test debut. So there was no choice but to continue with him.

2013 came and he won us another ICC trophy in the shape of Champions trophy. Again no selectors could remove him up until 2015 WC. So just because Dhoni had few T20 WC failures, he couldn't be removed at that time as his achievements overshadowed the failures.

Dhoni has cost us a lot more matches than he has won in recent times......His finishing comes in games where any half decent player can do the same in easy situations....Can you remind me when was the last time Dhoni won a match for us from a position where the game was lost? the only 1 I can remember was that England game with partnership from Yuvi another guy who was over the hill at that point.

As far as when was the last time Dhoni has won us the match from losing situation, you will never get XI players who will be a match winner. As long as they do their assigned job, that is okay. Let me ask you, when was the last time Rohit Sharma won us the game from losing situation? LOL. Yes he had those double centuries but all those were while batting first. He goes hiding always when the chips are down. Does it mean he is a bad player or needs to be dropped? Ofcourse not. Lets get it straight, except Kohli there is not a single player in this team who won us a game from the clutches of defeat. Dhoni used to do that in his prime but not anymore

He gets the hate because a)because of this cringe-worthy hype...I mean what kind of a narcissist you have to be to produce your own biopic  b) There are better alternatives C) He has brought in a lot of politics,favoritism into the game that has undone the hard work of the previous generation

a) That's fans. Cricketers are considered as Gods in India and people are crazy about the sport. So its obvious people will go overboard sometime with the most successful captain. The success of franchise cricket (IPL) also helped his popularity a lot. I mean if I see MS ( and I have met him few times), I wont go crazy and all. But we cant stop people from worshiping players.

b) There are better alternatives  - At present moment (2018 Dhoni i.e), yes agreed.

C) He has brought in a lot of politics,favoritism into the game that has undone the hard work of the previous generation - Every Indian captain has some sort of favoritism. Ganguly used to sit with selectors to handpick his players, Kohli's favoritism for his punjabi friends is well known.  We have to deal with it and there is nothing wrong as long as the results are positive.

Edited by Austin 3:!6
4 hours ago, maniac said:

What’s up with the stereotype?

Amitabh Bacchan,Govinda all won LS seats  because people voted for them for being cinema 

Stars....Mayawati has statues all over UP...will you walk out of 90% of Maharashtra if you say something against Bal Thackeray? Most states vote for leaders who are   cult of personality....every state has atleast one actor from that region who is a movie star.

Even though I agree with most of your post why bring region and stereotype  into it?

You still dont get it do you? There is always a bias against the South. How many times have you heard Sambar and Rasam in this forum. Actually South Indians are the more educated and less prone to hero worship than other regions. Test matches in the South are played in a friendly atmosphere where the local support is for the home team but there is some appreciation for the opponent players if they do well. And usually the test crowds are more knowledgeable. Accuser is usually the accused. A blind devotee will see everyone as such. A blind Sachin fan would see "an opponent" as a blind Dhoni fan. I dont hear Dhoni fans targetting Sharapova's facebook account :biggrin:

PS - Also see how he starts with CSK and ends with South Indians. You are always a madrasi lol even if you are a telugu. This guy came up with farting jokes on Dhoni and his fans. And the rest of his troll buddies having a low IQ laughing and upvoting. Quite disgusting. It is more appropriate to Sachin and his Sachinistas. As usual accuser is the accused. Lots of Sachin fans think he craps ice creams. This is how he chose to represent the other states to the Southern states.

Edited by Garuda
3 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Those world T20s are flawed argument because there used to be a World T20 almost every odd year at that time. LOL.

So lets look into it objectively.

Dhoni won us the inaugural World T20 in 2007 and he became the talk of the town. Dravid stepped down from captaincy next and MSD got to lead the ODI team as well (and deservedly so). In his very first tour in 2008 he won us the Tri series in Australia  (first Indian captain to do so). Suddenly 'WOW' factor got attached to him and people realized that T20 win was no fluke. BCCI started thinking of Dhoni as 'long term captain'. Immediately in 2009 & 2010 T20 WC India lost badly. But selectors could never even think of removing a captain who just won you the WC and a trophy in Australia couple of years ago. That was out of question.

Kumble retired and MSD got to lead the test side too. Team India under MS didn't lose a single test (all in India) for first 3 years. Suddenly people felt, wow now that's the captain for ages.

Next the World cup 2011 was in India and no team had won a WC at home up until then. MSD led side not only won the cup but he played a pivotal role as a batsman in the finals. The punchline 'Midas Touch...whatever he touches turns into gold' attached with him. Removing him from captain was a distant thought.  In between he was winning all those IPL titles (2010, 2011) and there was no touching him.

India started away test series and got blanked in England. People raised eyebrows and did a 'Urghh' but still removing an all conquering Dhoni was out of question. Lets give him some more time was the general perception. 2012 was the worst phase for him with those whitewashes in Australia and perhaps was the right time to strip his test captaincy. And there were murmurs in BCCI quarters as well regarding the same. But question was who? Big 3 (Sachin, Dravid, VVS) were almost at the end of their career. Sehwag & Gambo was struggling as a player and Kohli was yet to make his test debut. So there was no choice but to continue with him.

2013 came and he won us another ICC trophy in the shape of Champions trophy. Again no selectors could remove him up until 2015 WC. So just because Dhoni had few T20 WC failures, he couldn't be removed at that time as his achievements overshadowed the failures.

As far as when was the last time Dhoni has won us the match from losing situation, you will never get XI players who will be a match winner. As long as they do their assigned job, that is okay. Let me ask you, when was the last time Rohit Sharma won us the game from losing situation? LOL. Yes he had those double centuries but all those were while batting first. He goes hiding always when the chips are down. Does it mean he is a bad player or needs to be dropped? Ofcourse not. Lets get it straight, except Kohli there is not a single player in this team who won us a game from the clutches of defeat. Dhoni used to do that in his prime but not anymore

a) That's fans. Cricketers are considered as Gods in India and people are crazy about the sport. So its obvious people will go overboard sometime with the most successful captain. The success of franchise cricket (IPL) also helped his popularity a lot. I mean if I see MS ( and I have met him few times), I wont go crazy and all. But we cant stop people from worshiping players.

b) There are better alternatives  - At present moment (2018 Dhoni i.e), yes agreed.

C) He has brought in a lot of politics,favoritism into the game that has undone the hard work of the previous generation - Every Indian captain has some sort of favoritism. Ganguly used to sit with selectors to handpick his players, Kohli's favoritism for his punjabi friends is well known.  We have to deal with it and there is nothing wrong as long as the results are positive.

I have said this many times on this forum in case you missed it let me re-state,I was a fan of Dhoni the player from 2004-2011.

After 2011 I thought as a player he was on the down but still for a couple of years after that there was definitely a T.I.N.A factor but I will come back to that.

Now as a captain I did not mind him initially and I thought even though he was tactically not great, a.he was a luckly mascot

b. He seemed to be a likable guy that everyone in the team could player around.Him coming from a small,non-powerful cricket region did not bring a baggage of politics with him and I thought he was the right man for the job.

Now let us look into this bs that oh Dhoni won us all these cups etc.

T20

In 2007 WT20- All the inspiring performances came from- Yuvraj,RP Singh,Gambhir,Irfan Pathan and even Sreeshanth,Uthappa and Rohit Sharma to some extent...Dhoni did next to nothing but that was still acceptable because as I said he was the guy with the midas touch and also he was a good supporting act,not everyone gets to be a hero,you need supporting characters too in a movie and he was just that and the lack of hype made it seem good for what it was. Also as I mentioned,he seemed a likable guy  that no one really minded leading the team. Not this bs inspiring leadership crap everyone keeps harping on...How many people call Gavaskar an inspiring captain for winning us the World Championship in 1985? it was a young team that pulled it off.

Now 2009 was a disaster but fine,defending champions fair enough.....2010 lost badly, 2012 another shot- Lost badly all the while not a single show of leading from the front...didn't we have better options in the T20 format come 2014?

Tests

Till 2008 He was the understudy of Kumble. 2009 and 2010 he did well but he had a team of Sachin,RD,Laxman,Sehwag,Zak,Bhajji etc etc.  fast bowlers stepped up here and there to win us games. Neither was he an inspiring captain nor he showed any special vision. Decent at home,poor abroad but overall captain of a very good team. Again a guy who just went with the flow.

Now once he started getting powerful is where the problem started....in 2010 SA series,he destroyed the morale of a rampaging Sreeshanth. Sure,Sreeshanth was obnoxious and annoying but great captains have always worked with guys they hated for the greater good. In 2011 the debacle where his bowling in the first session was a universally ridiculed move took the gas out of the balloon in one move. Infact he was removed from captaincy in tests in 2012 by Mohinder Amarnath before Sreeni Mama stepped in....so was he deserving of this great leader status?

ODI's

One format where he was a gun player again till may be 2011. Won the WC again with a gem of a team...Played a good innings in the final where it was the 3rd best innings in the game and you are calling the greatest performance in a final lol. He had his utility in this format but his approach has become stale and not evolved with the changes. After the WC,Before and after the CT his results were pretty poor too,so don't know where teh hype is coming from.

Now As far as IPL goes. Great performances in the IPL have not seen Rohit Sharma or Gambhir escape criticism for their failures or Poor or mediocre performances in IPL has not impacted Virat Kohli's reputation as a great of the game.

Dhoni is just media hype and creation...when it comes to Sachin or any most ATG's ,there is documentary evidence as to why he is a great...with Dhoni it is always,he took 50% of the wickets,or some crap like that.

Hence,the annoyance...I personally think Dhoni is a India ATG across 2 of the 3 formats absolutely but he is snot even the Top 10 greatest cricketers produced by India leave alone the world....this hype makes me want to throw up.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

I have said this many times on this forum in case you missed it let me re-state,I was a fan of Dhoni the player from 2004-2011.

After 2011 I thought as a player he was on the down but still for a couple of years after that there was definitely a T.I.N.A factor but I will come back to that.

Now as a captain I did not mind him initially and I thought even though he was tactically not great, a.he was a luckly mascot

b. He seemed to be a likable guy that everyone in the team could player around.Him coming from a small,non-powerful cricket region did not bring a baggage of politics with him and I thought he was the right man for the job.

T20

In 2007 WT20- All the inspiring performances came from- Yuvraj,RP Singh,Gambhir,Irfan Pathan and even Sreeshanth,Uthappa and Rohit Sharma to some extent...Dhoni did next to nothing but that was still acceptable because as I said he was the guy with the midas touch and also he was a good supporting act,not everyone gets to be a hero,you need supporting characters too in a movie and he was just that and the lack of hype made it seem good for what it was. Also as I mentioned,he seemed a likable guy  that no one really minded leading the team. Not this bs inspiring leadership crap everyone keeps harping on...How many people call Gavaskar an inspiring captain for winning us the World Championship in 1985? it was a young team that pulled it off.

Now 2009 disaster but fine,defending champions fair enough.....2010 lost badly, 2012 another shot- Lost badly all the while not a single show of leading from the front...didn't we have better options in the T20 format come 2014?

Tests

Till 2008 He was the understudy of Kumble. 2009 and 2010 he did well but he had a team of Sachin,RD,Laxman,Sehwag,Zak,Bhajji etc etc.  fast bowlers stepped up here and there to win us games. Neither was he an inspiring captain nor he showed any special vision. Decent at home,poor abroad but overall captain of a very good team. Again a guy who just went with the flow.

Now once he started getting powerful is where the problem started....in 2010 SA series,he destroyed the morale of a rampaging Sreeshanth. Sure,Sreeshanth was obnoxious and annoying but great captains have always worked with guys they hated for the greater good. In 2011 the debacle where his bowling in the first session was a universally ridiculed movie...took the gas out of the balloon in one move. Infact he was removed from captaincy in tests in 2012 by Mohinder Amarnath before Sreeni Mama stepped in....so was he deserving of this great leader status?

ODI's

One format where he was a gun player again till may be 2011. Won the WC again with a gem of a team...Played a good innings in the final where it was the 3rd best innings in the game and you are calling the greatest performance in a final lol. He had his utility in this format but his approach has become stale and not evolved with the changes. After the WC,Before and after the CT his results were pretty poor too,so don't know where teh hype is coming from.

Now As far as IPL goes. Great performances in the IPL have not seen Rohit Sharma or Gambhir escape criticism for their failures or Poor or mediocre performances in IPL has not impacted Virat Kohli's reputation as a great of the game.

Dhoni is just media hype and creation...when it comes to Sachin or any most ATG's ,there is documentary evidence as to why he is a great...with Dhoni it is always,he took 50% of the wickets,or some crap like that.

Hence,the annoyance...I personally think Dhoni is a India ATG across 2 of the 3 formats absolutely but he is snot even the Top 10 greatest cricketers produced by India leave alone the world....this hype makes me want to throw up.

such a long post :p:

before digging how big you were a fan of Dhoni , are you seriosuly a fan of Rohit ? :hmmmm2:  :cantstop: 

1 hour ago, Garuda said:

You still dont get it do you? There is always a bias against the South. How many times have you heard Sambar and Rasam in this forum. Actually South Indians are the more educated and less prone to hero worship than other regions. Test matches in the South are played in a friendly atmosphere where the local support is for the home team but there is some appreciation for the opponent players if they do well. And usually the test crowds are more knowledgeable. Accuser is usually the accused. A blind devotee will see everyone as such. A blind Sachin fan would see "an opponent" as a blind Dhoni fan. I dont hear Dhoni fans targetting Sharapova's facebook account :biggrin:

PS - Also see how he starts with CSK and ends with South Indians. You are always a madrasi lol even if you are a telugu. This guy came up with farting jokes on Dhoni and his fans. And the rest of his troll buddies having a low IQ laughing and upvoting. Quite disgusting. It is more appropriate to Sachin and his Sachinistas. As usual accuser is the accused. Lots of Sachin fans think he craps ice creams. This is how he chose to represent the other states to the Southern states.

Lol you started of on a good note but you lost me when you brought in Sachin. Firstly it is not about Sachin vs Dhoni...one must be brain-dead(not you) to think both are even in the same league.

Now if one associates Dhoni with South Indians and Sachin with North Indians,that is an equally idiotic assumption.

Sure it is fun to have the MI vs CSK rivalry but why does it automatically become about Sachin? Sure,Dhoni I can understand as he is still the captain and people either defend or take digs at him.

Coming to South Indian bias or  the term Madarasi or generalizing South Indians,I wouldn't call it bias...it is just ignorance and surprisingly it is still in abundance,so can't argue there...plenty of such idiots out there..

As far getting offended by rasam and sambhaar,you gotta grow a thicker skin I mean "biryanis" "Dhoklas" "butter chicken" etc etc are thrown around loosely as slurs and no one seems to be offended,complaining on that seems lame.

11 hours ago, maniac said:

T20

Now 2009 was a disaster but fine,defending champions fair enough.....2010 lost badly, 2012 another shot- Lost badly all the while not a single show of leading from the front...didn't we have better options in the T20 format come 2014?

Tests

Now once he started getting powerful is where the problem started....in 2010 SA series,he destroyed the morale of a rampaging Sreeshanth. Sure,Sreeshanth was obnoxious and annoying but great captains have always worked with guys they hated for the greater good. In 2011 the debacle where his bowling in the first session was a universally ridiculed move took the gas out of the balloon in one move. Infact he was removed from captaincy in tests in 2012 by Mohinder Amarnath before Sreeni Mama stepped in....so was he deserving of this great leader status?

ODI's

:cantstop: Bhai kehna kya chahte ho? You are just going in circles.

You asked me why was Dhoni not removed from T20 Captaincy post the debacles of T20 WCs (2009,2010,2012 etc). All I am saying is that Dhoni could not have been removed from captaincy back then because his achievements overshadowed his failures. Also BCCI was not very serious about international T20s back then. You are asking why not a new captain for 2014 T20 WC? So you wanted selectors to remove Dhoni when he just won you the champions trophy in 2013? Lets face it both of us know it does not work like that in Indian cricket.

Also what is this new logic that Dhoni alone didn't win us so many ICC trophies but others players contributed too. Of-course they all have, cricket is a team sport after all. But captain gets the credit when team wins and get the blame when team loses. So will you not blame Dhoni when we were losing those overseas tests because there were lack of contribution from players. Or is it when India wins...its due to contribution from all quarters and when lose its all Dhoni's fault :cantstop:

10 hours ago, maniac said:

Lol you started of on a good note but you lost me when you brought in Sachin. Firstly it is not about Sachin vs Dhoni...one must be brain-dead(not you) to think both are even in the same league.

Now if one associates Dhoni with South Indians and Sachin with North Indians,that is an equally idiotic assumption.

Sure it is fun to have the MI vs CSK rivalry but why does it automatically become about Sachin? Sure,Dhoni I can understand as he is still the captain and people either defend or take digs at him.

Coming to South Indian bias or  the term Madarasi or generalizing South Indians,I wouldn't call it bias...it is just ignorance and surprisingly it is still in abundance,so can't argue there...plenty of such idiots out there..

As far getting offended by rasam and sambhaar,you gotta grow a thicker skin I mean "biryanis" "Dhoklas" "butter chicken" etc etc are thrown around loosely as slurs and no one seems to be offended,complaining on that seems lame.

I have a thicker skin than most but as you mentioned the South Indian bias is behind those comments. And you used to see this bias in the team selection as well. How many fans really appreciate Dravid, Laxman, Kumble and Srinath. You call it ignorance I call it hatred. Lets agree to disagree here.

With regards to Sachin, I'm only speaking the truth. Him and Lara are the best batsmen during his playing days but Sachin played selfishly some times (not all the time). His autobiography was trash - full of stats and whining about the multan declaration

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/multan-declaration-sachin-tendulkar-no-sense-autobiography

He still hasn't forgiven Dravid and the team management for that. He is usually the proponent of "what happens in the dressing room stays there". But he goes on and tells it in his book. Hypocrite much Sachin :phehe:. Imagine what must be going through in Dravid's mind - Don't get in the way of Sachin's stats or else face the wrath and blame from his fans. Analyst considers South Indians to be hero worshiping. Oh the irony.

6 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

:cantstop: Bhai kehna kya chahte ho? You are just going in circles.

You asked me why was Dhoni not removed from T20 Captaincy post the debacles of T20 WCs (2009,2010,2012 etc). All I am saying is that Dhoni could not have been removed from captaincy back then because his achievements overshadowed his failures. Also BCCI was not very serious about international T20s back then. You are asking why not a new captain for 2014 T20 WC? So you wanted selectors to remove Dhoni when he just won you the champions trophy in 2013? Lets face it both of us know it does not work like that in Indian cricket.

Also what is this new logic that Dhoni alone didn't win us so many ICC trophies but others players contributed too. Of-course they all have, cricket is a team sport after all. But captain gets the credit when team wins and get the blame when team loses. So will you not blame Dhoni when we were losing those overseas tests because there were lack of contribution from players. Or is it when India wins...its due to contribution from all quarters and when lose its all Dhoni's fault :cantstop:

It’s the other way around actually lol. You chose to think I am going around in circles because you just want to overlook the main point of my post 

Dhoni was already removed in 2012 for being a disastrous captain but was saved by his god father...now please don’t put the spin that Dhoni was upset about this and hated the fact that Srinivasan saved him etc etc. A lot of captains have stepped down voulantarity as an act of self-respect and ethics.

There were lot of options to replace him as captain ....good or bad is your perspective.

I haven’t even gone into Dhoni’s personal performances, I just went with 2 examples of his failure as a leader.

Dhoni as I said was considered to be the right man for the job because he was from a small town which was not a power center of cricket and he was personally a likeable guy but what they didn’t know is that in those states, nests run riot once they get power which is exactly what happened on this case.