Centre drops Tamil, 16 other languages from teacher test

The Dark Horse

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

1. Yes, only 2. Perhaps fair to say more tamils have tried n succeeded in Bollywood n cricket than keralites relative to population.

2.its borne out of a) lack of trust in RoI by TN. b) politics by local parties making it worse, taking it to next level. Please let me know how you feel hindi is tried to be enforced. It's always depends on your choice. Don't learn if you don't want to. 

That doesn't seem to be the motive of the center, as seen in the OP.

After all the acrimony near the time of independence, "leaders" should've gotten creative and pushed for a national script instead of a national language (especially after they dropped the ball and didn't take Ambedkar's advice to adopt Sanskrit as a national language, which also had support from "the South" as well by the way). Needless to say, "leaders" of that era gave themselves Bharat Ratnas for accomplishing nothing and kicking problems down the curb for others in the future to deal with. 

A suitable national script would've been Brahmi, which many languages were written in before.  It could have been easily included in textbooks, you learn your mother tongue in both Brahmi and state-script and then you are good to go. 

Schools could've been filled with textbooks to learn all the different languages of India, through the Brahmi script!

Anyone who knows the Roman alphabet,(ABCD) has a much easier time to learn other languages using the same script.  

Edited by Tibarn

There are both Tamil and Urdu speaking muslims. However, most identify themselves as Tamils rather than Muslims, at least in the current generation.
I have a friend who is from Coimbatore. He is a Muslim and speaks weird Urdu when he calls back home. It's like Dhakkani with heavy Tamil accent. But when he speaks hindi, it's more normal. I then realized that's just how Urdu is spoken there.

Yeah, like every tamilian he takes great pride in being one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, G_B_ said:

yes cause kumarasamy is the answer to karnataka's problems.

PS Several RSS heads have hailed from northern karnataka who vouched for hindi. The northern regions of Karnataka and Telangana share similar cultural values with Maharashtra than the south. Prime Minister Rao for eg spoke fluent Marathi. Draw a 500km circle around Nagpur. Hindi is an important link language between several languages from Marathi to Telegu.

RSs? Are you kidding me with this?. My point is language learning outside of state language should be up to individual.the center has no right to dictate 1 language over others.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, Tibarn said:

After all the acrimony near the time of independence, "leaders" should've gotten creative and pushed for a national script instead of a national language (especially after they dropped the ball and didn't take Ambedkar's advice to adopt Sanskrit as a national language, which also had support from "the South" as well by the way). Needless to say, "leaders" of that era gave themselves Bharat Ratnas for accomplishing nothing and kicking problems down the curb for others in the future to deal with. 

A suitable national script would've been Brahmi, which many languages were written in before.  It could have been easily included in textbooks, you learn your mother tongue in both Brahmi and state-script and then you are good to go. 

Schools could've been filled with textbooks to learn all the different languages of India, through the Brahmi script!

Anyone who knows the Roman alphabet,(ABCD) has a much easier time to learn other languages using the same script.  

Sounds like a novel idea.  

Does the Brahmi script have letters to incorporate sounds of all Indian languages, given that it is an older script?

For instance the sound of 'ळ' is present in the Marathi language , kind of like an L sound with the tongue rolled up to the hard palate, doesn't exist in the other Indo-Aryan languages.

There are many such sounds/ syllables that exist exclusively in the Dravidian languages only. 

What does one do in such cases?

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Sounds like a novel idea.  

Does the Brahmi script have letters to incorporate sounds of all Indian languages, given that it is an older script?

For instance the sound of 'ळ' is present in the Marathi language , kind of like an L sound with the tongue rolled up to the hard palate, doesn't exist in the other Indo-Aryan languages.

There are many such sounds/ syllables that exist exclusively in the Dravidian languages only. 

What does one do in such cases?

It's not exactly my idea, as SCB wanted to convert all Indian languages into Roman script( along with making Hindi the national language). I just think that choosing a pan Indian national script would be a safer way to avoid the language politics.

There were regional variants of the script ie Tamil-Brahmi probably with some different sounds/letters, but I am guessing that there are some sounds that it didn't have.

For those, I suppose, one can insert the letter/sound ('ळ') from the other language directly into the new Indian Standard Brahmi script. Since the idea is to teach students the script from a young age at school, their brains would still be able to learn the 'ळ' sound and they would be able to make the sound, should they ever decide to learn to speak Marathi. If they never learn Marathi, they would still be able to make the sound, they just wouldn't ever use it.      

On 6/25/2018 at 6:00 AM, Stradlater said:

How will English ensure equal footing for all when most North Indian Bemaru state people can barely speak a word of the language? 

False equivalency. Bimaru states have literacy problem, period. Its not gonna matter which language gets 2nd language status other than Hindi- which favors the North Indian bimaru states the most. 

And what unfair advantage are you talking about lol? I haven't suggested removing the regional languages out of the equation. Infact I have argued for their preservation and promotion. What I want is to have Hindi as a second language in place of English which seems quite fair imo and also helps extending our cultural influence around the world.

Nonsense and putting pride before common sense. Kids in India already have zero life being kids. If a second language is to be a focus for children's precious time away from being children, then it makes far more sense to use the global language that automatically gives Indian kids a leg-up in the international world, than jingoistic 'extend our culture' nonsense, which serves far little advantage compared to English. 

English is a relic of colonial era and ideally should have no place in our society. I'm not calling for an outright ban on the language which would be silly considering it's global importance but why give it an undue importance when we have our very own Indigenous language as a perfect replacement understood by most of the people and which could help us spread our cultural soft power around the world. 

Nonsense. There never will be a language that will compete with English in global value. Period. Learning English means automatic advantage in interacting with USA, Canada, Britain, Australia and all of Europe, as Europe averages 40-50% comprehension in English. I've been a tourist in Denmark. Known people who went to study in Norway. Thank God for English and these folks having 70-90% of their population speaking English that life was awesome for us there.  English is still the second most common language spoken in Latin America after spanish (even though 90% don't speak it, you are still more likely to find an English speaker in Colombia or Peru after Spanish, over virtually any other language).

Relic of the colonial world or not, English literacy serves ANY person in the world infinitely more than any other language. 

This love for English is both irrational and unreasonable.

Linguistic Chauvinism? Now you are just putting words in my mouth.

The love for English is completely rational - it is the global lingua franca and serves a person FAR greater global communication ease than Hindi. This i know from being a fluent speaker of both Hindi and English. This is why i recommended every single relative in India to either enroll their kids in English medium schools or pick English as second language over Hindi if they are in Bengali or Marathi medium schools.