Wtf statements you have heard from people.

beetle

7 minutes ago, Brainfade said:

You must avoid it, and especially avoid giving it to your kids.  If you are going to eat it, make sure it was grown by vedic farming methods - the toxins do not appear in these plants if grown in that way.

ok, I didn't take it seriously until now. For a guy from a scientific background, it is surprising coming from you.

16 minutes ago, Brainfade said:

You must avoid it, and especially avoid giving it to your kids.  If you are going to eat it, make sure it was grown by vedic farming methods - the toxins do not appear in these plants if grown in that way.

What is the scientific explanation for this?

I can understand calcium rich food not be be cooked in spinach as calcium supposedly prevents absorption of iron .( palak paneer :(()

Any such reason ? 

Don't be so quick to dismiss such advice as mere superstitions.  1000s of years ago, our ancestors did these things because of some scientific reason and passed the wisdom on.  And the effects could manifest weeks or months down the line - the next time you get upset with your little daughter when she throws a tantrum, it will be because of the salt-exchange.  

She always throws tantrum and I often get frustrated but there is no fighting as such.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

It is a Golt thing , I guess.  There is one family, they would not utter the word 'salt'. Instead they would say 'sugar' twice. Uttering the word 'salt' is considered inauspicious!

Not just Golts.  It is cross-cultural.  I come from a Tamizh family and we do the same thing - there is a scientific reason behind it.  

56 minutes ago, beetle said:

What is the scientific explanation for this?

I can understand calcium rich food not be be cooked in spinach as calcium supposedly prevents absorption of iron .( palak paneer :(()

Any such reason ? 

Tomato plants are especially susceptible to plant pathogens and respond by making toxins such as solanine.  When solanine reacts with Iron-rich spinach which is also rich in light-absorbing chlorophyll, it generates reactive oxygen species such as hydrogen peroxide and superoxide anions.  These have been shown to promote the genesis of tumors. 

But, when something is grown by vedic farming, the cosmic waves inhibit infection by plant pathogens and thus prevent oxidative damage to the plant cells.  Thus, the plants do not need to make toxins such as solanine to fight off these pathogens.  The nutrients absorbed by the plant roots are more harmoniously distributed in the tomato fruits (remember, tomatoes are fruits not vegetables).  Also, the use of synthetic, chemical fertilizers containing Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium is bad for plant and human health.  You must buy tomatoes grown organically with natural manure-based non-chemical NPK.  Being natural, the Nitrogen, Phoshporus etc are much more healthy in this farm.