Agarwal Vs Shaw

Sooda

Reserve opener  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have replaced Vijay

• Prithvi Shaw
    • Mayank Agarwal

55 minutes ago, Lannister said:

You are just nitpicking here. Like I said Agarwal has been doing it for a much longer period even before we heard anything about Shaw and he has set some domestic records to his name. To just casually throw it all away just because he couldn't score runs in a match where he was made to bat in the middle order is just biased and disrespectful. I think we are done here. Let's just agree to disagree and leave at it. 

Last season Agarwal scored 5 tons in 8 matches.

Before that it was 3 in 34 matches, idk what his average was until 2016/17 it'd be interesting to know.

He's been around for a while but was well below average until last season. If he gets picked it will be reward for one spectacular season not consistency over a period of time like say Panchal. 

There is an element of judgement here too, I don't know what either of these guys are like but I have to trust the selectors judgement that Prithvi is the best option  for now.

And it's not like Mayank is getting ignored altogether. Long run for the A team and Obviously next in line and he'd be picked for an odi squad if an opener slot was available

2 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Before that it was 3 in 34 matches, idk what his average was until 2016/17 it'd be interesting to know.

He's been around for a while but was well below average until last season. If he gets picked it will be reward for one spectacular season not consistency over a period of time like say Panchal. 

There is an element of judgement here too, I don't know what either of these guys are like but I have to trust the selectors judgement that Prithvi is the best option  for now.

And it's not like Mayank is getting ignored altogether. Long run for the A team and Obviously next in line and he'd be picked for an odi squad if an opener slot was available

Here my cue would be Vengsarkar's view even though he is a mumbaikar  i trust his selection judgement .

16 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Very good point.

And Shaw has scored and scored right from the start of his FC career.  Averaging 56.7 after 14 FC games with 7 centuries.  Achieving this average without any double century, which shows incredible consistency showcased by 12   50+ scores from 26 innings.

Moreover, Shaw is a special talent whose ceiling can be very high if he comes good.  Has to be tried as soon as possible.

But I would like to see how his off stump game and short ball game is against quality pace bowling.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:10 PM, Lannister said:

If they had selected Siraj along with Shaw then I wouldn't have a problem with this. But it seems like Shaw has been pushed into the team because of a strong backing from Mumbai lobby, while the others are left with having to prove themselves more. Mayank Agarwal was hard done by the petty politics. 

I agree....Mayank is ready and more mature, Shaw should be picked one year later , as of today Mayank is ready and better than shaw.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:41 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Mayank Agarwal toured for Ind A to England. He scored 69 runs @ avg of 17.25 
Shaw scored 250 runs @ avg of 62.50.

He doesn't look convincing to me as also Shreyas Iyer. Iyer however did not get proper chance and has not done bad in limited opportunity he got.