Rishabh Pant’s footwork behind the stumps is not good: Syed Kirmani

13 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

His byes percentage is also pretty high, moves left too early and he is not able to collect on the right as it swings quite a bit.

Most of those byes in England tour was not his fault. No one would have gotten those. Haven't watched the first test against windies so can't comment on that.

5 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Most of those byes in England tour was not his fault. No one would have gotten those. Haven't watched the first test against windies so can't comment on that.

It swung a lot, but his technique is flawed too, he is overcompensating for balls going leg, by sacrificing those swinging left.

Even against WI, 16 byes (4th highest score) in 181 is glaring. 

Edited by coffee_rules
Just now, coffee_rules said:

It swung a lot, but his technique is flawed too, he is overcompensating for balls going leg, by sacrificing those swinging left.

That's fine. Just saying no one could have gotten those byes that he gave up. Some previous wk would not have even tried to stop those byes.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, Pollack said:

"He does not move with the ball, instead dives at the last moment."

Wtf I have a complete opposite view. He moves with the ball far too early and eventually has to deal with it with dives because of misjudgements. He actually needs to stop moving a lot and trust his reflexes a lot more.

He moves, but not with the ball. It's a pointless move that makes getting to the ball harder.

He needs to move with the ball, easier said than done, but I guess it's a skill international level keepers should possess. 

On Sun Oct 07 2018 at 7:38 PM, UrmiSinhaRay said:

I liked him but I have a bad feeling he's going to be another Pappu Patel

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Pappu patel to start with was never a bankable batsman,he remained in sidelines as we had dhoni, had he sealed his place only for his batting he could have improved in between..

Pant once gets assured or confident about his place in the team, will surely improve,there is always a zero to start with but it tends to improve when you continue with it for a while

Edited by Suhaan

The whole concept of selecting a test wicketkeeper has radically changed...you have to score and be able to stop the ball...which may work in ODI and T20 circus cricket. But selecting a half baked test keeper should be unacceptable, i don't care if he scores a double hundred but the moment he starts dropping (like PP did ) you have already surrendered no matter how good bowling line up is.

Kirmani has a few tips for Rishabh Pant while keeping up to the spinners

“He has to be on his toes before the bowler takes a turn, sitting crouching down. These are the basics. He has to be crouching down, he has to wait till the ball pitches and then react. After that, he has to move according to the swing, bounce. Wicketkeeper’s ability is judged only when he is standing up to spinners.

Anyone can keep against the Pacers since you have a lot of time to move and anticipate. You have a fraction of a second out there for these three-four coordinates to synchronize for a good collection in the form of stumping or a catch,” Kirmani said as quoted by Times Now.

Wicket-keeping is one of the most important aspects of the game. To be able to whip the bails off in a blink of an eye isn’t something that is easy. MS Dhoni is a master of this art. But, Kirmani doesn’t want Rishabh Pant to copy his unorthodox style of keeping as it doesn’t come naturally to everyone.

“If you talk about collection of the throw. He has to go right behind the stumps, not what Dhoni does (sometimes he takes it from ahead of stumps). Pant is following him. It is not the technique. You have to get behind in line with the stumps, your eye level should be in line with the bails to see where the ball is pitching so that you can judge it better,” he added.

https://www.crictracker.com/former-india-keeper-syed-kirmani-has-a-piece-of-advice-for-rishabh-pant/