Class X girl in coma after teacher hits her

Desi Cartman

NEW DELHI: A 15-year-old girl, who was to appear for the Class X board examinations this year, has been in coma for more than a month after being allegedly hit on the head with a stick by her teacher for refusing to attend his tuition classes. Rinky Kaushik, a resident of Mayur Vihar, Phase-III, has been lying at the ICU of Maharaja Agrasen Hospital at Punjabi Bagh since January 7. Doctors attending to her told TOI that Rinky had to be operated on for removing a clot in her head and her condition continues to be critical. They added that Rinky developed a nerve disorder after a motorcycle accident five years back and the current head injury had aggravated that problem. Doctors were, however, hopeful of her recovery. Rinky’s parents claim Dhirendra Kumar Dinkar, a teacher at Dinkar National Model School in east Delhi, repeatedly hit their daughter with a stick on November 10 when she refused to attend his tuition classes. The accused is the principal’s son and Rinky’s father, Naresh Kaushik, claims he has been receiving threats to withdraw the complaint. Rinky’s parents approached the cops on November 15, but the New Ashok Nagar police registered an FIR against Dinkar under Sections 325 (voluntarily causing hurt), 342 (wrongful confinement) and 506 (criminal intimidation) only on Feb 12.

The Indian mentality of "using the stick" on kids has got to change The slapping, punching, caning, pulling years in the name of discipline is just nonsense- no wonder Indians grow up to be so timid most of the times
Speak for yourself. :finger: This whole tuition thingy has got to go. Ever since I can remember it has been a bane on our education system and I have often been surprised as to how teachers almost consider it a "right" to make money outside of what they are paid to do by doing tuitions. Atleast earlier the teachers did not ask you to do it, now it seems they force you even!

Tuition system made my high-school times miserable. I studied in a school which gave utmost importance to studies and percentage and wanted all of their students into top colleges like IIT, Bits Pilani and the top govt. colleges in Chennai. In my school, there was no library, no dedicated play ground, they didnt hold any culturals as such. Students were actively discouraged from attending other college cultural events, not that it mattered, there were hardly any students interested in extra-curricular activities. All were only intent on scoring a high percentage. And bear in mind, our school was the "TOP" most school in Chennai for higher education. The 200 students that were in one batch every year were supposed to be the cream of the talent in the city. They drilled us with exams every week, and made us memorize each and every corner of the text book. The worst aspect was, even in maths, if the sum was solved in a different way and the correct solutions got, the teacher used to strike the answer off saying that all sums need to solved the same way as the text book. And to just put things in perspective, I scored 95.4% in my high school board exams, but do you know what my rank in my batch ? 167/202. I came out of high-school a much better student, but a worser individual.

And bear in mind, our school was the "TOP" most school in Chennai for higher education. The 200 students that were in one batch every year were supposed to be the cream of the talent in the city. They drilled us with exams every week, and made us memorize each and every corner of the text book. ]The worst aspect was, even in maths, if the sum was solved in a different way and the correct solutions got, the teacher used to strike the answer off saying that all sums need to solved the same way as the text book.
What the heck!? Which top school was like this? (well, i understand if you dont want to say it), but weird!

And to just put things in perspective, I scored 95.4% in my high school board exams, but do you know what my rank in my batch ? 167/202.
:omg: You guys don't want to know my high school percentage for sure. I would have been 201/202 with Tendulkar faring below me because he was in NZ playing test cricket.

What the heck!? Which top school was like this? (well' date=' i understand if you dont want to say it), but weird![/quote'] Nah, I dont mind saying it, coz if there are any parents with sons/daughters who are on the verge of admission into high-school, I would sincerely request them - Please, please dont even consider DAV Gopalapuram.

:omg: You guys don't want to know my high school percentage for sure. I would have been 201/202 with Tendulkar faring below me because he was in NZ playing test cricket.
:D That does give us a LOT of clues about your % Proff. The telling fact is, most of these high-scoring heroes have ended up having mediocre, run of the mill careers, while my other friends, who studied in other, normal schools, have go on to shine massively, whether be it in work, or in post graduation. Imagine this, I score more than 95% in my boards and the day after the results came, we all went to school to meet with teachers, discuss the Cut-offs and stuff and hearing the other students' marks, I just felt like hiding my face behind some doors. Pardon me if I sound over the top for repeating my % several times, but I now realize how artificial all that % hoopla was.

Nah' date=' I dont mind saying it, coz if there are any parents with sons/daughters who are on the verge of admission into high-school, I would sincerely request them - Please, please dont even consider DAV Gopalapuram.[/quote'] Yep they are "advertised" not as Madras' best school - BUT - wait - hold ur breath - wait - haha - INDIA's BEST SCHOOL! Ofcourse going by "results" they are one of the best, given that In the recently published CBSE class XII results, the Chennai region has topped among the five regions in India with 91.46 pass percentage and DAV Gopalapuram stands first in India. Well, stats can be misleading to get overall picture just like in cricket. http://ia.rediff.com/news/2006/may/26spec.htm Welcome to India's best school by Shobha Warrier in Chennai 26%20DAV%20school.jpg26%20DAV%20school2.jpg Principal Dr C Satish says the school does not compromise on the quality of students 26%20DAV%20school1.jpg

Reading all the comments of the students, and their elation at scoring those monstrous percentages, I couldnt help but laugh my a$$ off. VERY VERY soon, they will realize how ridiculously useless all these bloated percentages will prove to be in their lives ! :haha:

You are right. Brainwashing in India starts from the day the child is born :D Study, dont waste time playing. Study, dont waste...study, dont waste... Then later on after all the education is over, and real life takes over, thats when they will realize all the % arent worth that much, and overall personality and social development is very important. If only parents realized that sports (just as an example) actually also can be a career option?

Reading all the comments of the students' date=' and their elation at scoring those monstrous percentages, I couldnt help but laugh my a$$ off. VERY VERY soon, they will realize how ridiculously useless all these bloated percentages will prove to be in their lives ! :haha:[/quote'] So true , when I see my cousins loose sleep over their class X or XII exams I always say "Yaar its not the most important thing that you'll ever do in your life" and then I get a strange stare from the maa - baaps. Anyway I had a medical problem when I was in class X and attended school for not more than 5 days and managed to get 52% without any tuitions .. My parents were more proud of me than my IIT-ian brother :yay: