(Discussion)Modern hinduism is against its original views on sexuality

Muloghonto

39 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

So the sages who came up with Yoga and Ayurveda are dumber than kids on their insta/Facebook/Twitter?

Dumber ? maybe not. Less knowledgeable about everything ? Yes, definitely. Do you take instructions on how to live life from a hunter-gatherer bushman from the Kalahari desert ? No ? Well, the knowledge of these sages are batting at the same average practially. 

Ramayana,Mahabharata and their offshoot stories are treated as Itihaas(history). How difficult is it to understand that maybe not every culture has the same way of recording historical events.

Nonsense. History is recorded more or less the same way (out of a few different styles) for everyone who knew how to write. Romans, Greeks, Assyrians, Chinese, Arabs, reneissance Europe- they all wrote it in the same framework, with just stylistic differences.

Ramayana and Mahabharata are not itihaas, aka history - they are legends. 

Our knowledge has been passed down orally be it rituals or history, so maybe stories might have been exaggerated to make them easy to remember. Why this total disdain and lack

of respect? Maybe giving it a flavor of mysticism and magic was the norm of retelling history is putting you off but hey it is that culture and it is what it is.

Simple. Because we are no longer living in the iron age. The average high school graduate knows more math than Brahmagupta could imagine. the average university grad in biology or psychology knows more than the entire sum total of biological/psyschological knowledge of the ENTIRE ancient world - Indian and non-Indian- put together. 

We are in a new era for the past few hundred years. Humans have made these kinds of leaps where the knowledge of the average person increased orders of magnitude greater than the most knowledgeable of their predecessors. One example is when humans settled down and invented farming. 

I am not arguing these ancient sages and rishies were stupid people - the human intelligence, atleast as a species, has shown no evidence of significant change in the tens of thousands of years. But what has changed, is our knowledge. And that makes these sages and rishis cute children's stories, nothing more. 

Today plastic surgery is a big deal and probably pretty much every Hollywood/Bollywood actor/actress has had rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty was first performed in india and this is not bs to

make ancient India exotic. There is a recorded event where a Indian surgeon performing this on a Maratha general was documented by a couple of  British doctors . This was a time when British  were just about making inroads into

India as a ruler.Now the source material this surgeon followed might be totally opposite of what a med student prefers . Just because we can’t intetpret  it doesn’t mean it is bs and doesn’t make sense case in point your dig at the epics

Yes, i am aware of India's accomplisments in science, medicine, math, etc. Does not change the fact that my teenage daughter knows more about the universe than Valmiki could even conceive of. So his ideology, is no longer adequate or relevant. 

52 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Some sorry responses in this thread. Justice Indu Malhotra when she dissented against Sabarimala verdict clearly said there is no logic or rationale in religion. It's a belief system that the atheists don't understand. Some are selective devotees claiming to be believers, but question others' beliefs.

This thread is not about Sabarimala. This thread is about how our religious and cultural views on sexuality and dress code has changed. I don't care what your belief systems are but claiming religious belief system is not a free pass to do whatever the heck you want to do on public land or to other individuals. 

Ithihasa and Puranas were verbal and narrated through generations to keep the dharma alive. They are not recorded history, but were narrations to let generations know about the geography of India. Ramayana traverses from North to south. Mahabharata does it from west to east. These were constructs of our civilizations education system, the gurukuls which were destroyed by McCaulay's colonial brainwash.  As with modern rationale we can question them, but at some point some of us believe in various degrees of divinity. Ultimately, this Dharma lets you pick and choose. 

Yes, but now we don't need these fables to form our views on geography or anything. They are obsolete. Now, lets return to the topic at hand - why are sanskaari hindus so reluctant to discuss the sexuality and dress code of our much more illustrious (relative to the world that is) ancestors ?

Edited by Muloghonto

Human (not just Home Sapiens) history is 2.5M yrs old iirc. Home Sapiens are only 10k yrs old if I m not wrong 

Home Erectus is the longest surviving human species. We, Homo Sapiens, will probably not break Home Erectus’ record 

At some point in time, multiple species of humans co-existed 

Not everything in history is recorded. History was passed down from one gen to the next through fables, many of them designed in a way to make them interesting, entertaining and easy to remember 

Just now, zen said:

Human (not just Home Sapiens) history is 2.5M yrs old iirc. Home Sapiens are only 10k yrs old if I m not wrong 

You are very wrong. Species homo sapiens has been around for 150-300,000 years. 

Just now, zen said:

Not everything in history is recorded. History was passed down from one gen to the next through fables, many of them designed in a way to make them interesting, entertaining and easy to remember 

Sure. But they are irrelevant mostly today in face of far superior universal awareness over...everything. Again, the kids today know how universe works, orders of magnitude greater than the brightest of the iron-age sages and sadhus. That makes them obsolete. 

9 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Dumber ? maybe not. Less knowledgeable about everything ? Yes, definitely. Do you take instructions on how to live life from a hunter-gatherer bushman from the Kalahari desert ? No ? Well, the knowledge of these sages are batting at the same average practially. 

Nonsense. History is recorded more or less the same way (out of a few different styles) for everyone who knew how to write. Romans, Greeks, Assyrians, Chinese, Arabs, reneissance Europe- they all wrote it in the same framework, with just stylistic differences.

Ramayana and Mahabharata are not itihaas, aka history - they are legends. 

Simple. Because we are no longer living in the iron age. The average high school graduate knows more math than Brahmagupta could imagine. the average university grad in biology or psychology knows more than the entire sum total of biological/psyschological knowledge of the ENTIRE ancient world - Indian and non-Indian- put together. 

We are in a new era for the past few hundred years. Humans have made these kinds of leaps where the knowledge of the average person increased orders of magnitude greater than the most knowledgeable of their predecessors. One example is when humans settled down and invented farming. 

I am not arguing these ancient sages and rishies were stupid people - the human intelligence, atleast as a species, has shown no evidence of significant change in the tens of thousands of years. But what has changed, is our knowledge. And that makes these sages and rishis cute children's stories, nothing more. 

Yes, i am aware of India's accomplisments in science, medicine, math, etc. Does not change the fact that my teenage daughter knows more about the universe than Valmiki could even conceive of. So his ideology, is no longer adequate or relevant. 

Your logic is flawed. Just because I can connect my phone using Bluetooth or WIFII or can do basic troubleshooting if faced with minor tech issues, can use a TV remote and post on forums and social media doesn’t make me smarter than Edison,Newton and Einstein because they will have no clue on what they are or how to even use them.

Ramayana is one of the biggest epic ever compiled in the history of the world with an outreach even outside India. No disrespect to your kid but that is not the best analogy. Sure you can compare Valmiki with Contemporary literary figures but then again how many of these works are even in the same ball park as the Ramayana?

it is ironic you started a thread about how Indian culture was progressive in the past and how it is going backwards while you yourself are demeaning the accomplishments of ancient India lol.

Edited by Global.Baba

10 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

@Muloghonto ‘s logic the guy who created the cordless phone is way smarter than Graham Bell Or the guy Engineer/s who designed the sleek IPAD is/are way smarter than the first guy who invented the computer because that moron created this huge monstorous contraption.

Is that the right understanding?

Why are you misrepresenting me ?! The guy who invented the smart phone may or may not have more KNOWLEDGE than Graham Bell.

But guess what - I am a simple regular engineer and i have more KNOWLEDGE of mathematics (as does every single engineering graduate, really) than Issac Newton. 

I SPECIFICALLY stated KNOWLEDGE. 

29 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Your logic is flawed. Just because I can connect my phone using Bluetooth or WIFII or can do basic troubleshooting if faced with minor tech issues, can use a TV remote and post on forums and social media doesn’t make me smarter than Edison,Newton and Einstein because they will have no clue on what they are or how to even use them.

It doesn't make you smarter. But if you have a science degree today, it makes you more KNOWLEDGEABLE than Edison or Newton. 
Just like my kid today has more KNOWLEDGE than Valmiki. 

Ramayana is one of the biggest epic ever compiled in the history of the world with an outreach even outside India. No disrespect to your kid but that is not the best analogy. Sure you can compare Valmiki with Contemporary literary figures but then again how many of these works are even in the same ball park as the Ramayana?

No, my kid knows more about the universe than Valmiki ever did. I am talking about knowledge. Philosophy, awareness, etc are ALL function of knowledge. The biggest genius of the hunter-gatherer society was probably SMARTER than you or me. But it doesn't change the fact that this person knew 1/10000th of what we know and therefore, are not fit to instruct us on meaning of life. 

A teacher's main qualification is not to be smarter than their pupil but have more knowledge. Since the average person today has far more knowledge than the biggest sages of 2500 years ago, the latter are not fit to be teachers (ie, instruct) the former. Clear ?

it is ironic you started a thread about how Indian culture was progressive in the past and how it is going backwards while you yourself are demeaning the accomplishments of ancient India lol.

I am doing no such thing. I am simply stating that we today live in an age where even the average person KNOWS more than the most learned person from 3000 years ago. Therefore, the person with the lesser knowledge, is not fit to instruct us. 

Now, lets please get back to the topic at hand. 

6 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

@Muloghonto ‘s logic the guy who created the cordless phone is way smarter than Graham Bell Or the guy Engineer/s who designed the sleek IPAD is/are way smarter than the first guy who invented the computer because that moron created this huge monstorous contraption.

Is that the right understanding?

:lol:   

On 10/26/2018 at 5:26 AM, dandaroy said:

I think during the golden era of the Gupta period, sexual expression may have been at its peak. I hear people were phucking like minks! Then the mullahs came and ruined everything. :lol:

This is more or less true for even much later after the Gupta period. India undergoes this change of morality from a predictable NW->SE axis. 

The Western regions, such as the Rajputs regions &  shows a significantly earlier adoption of the Islamacised/super-conservative dress code than many other regions. The Konark temple for eg, is a mini sex-temple graphics and it was built in the 13th century.