Pandya v. Bhuvneshwar - the better choice of allrounder?

goose

Pandya vs. Bhuvneshwar - the better choice of allrounder?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Pandya vs. Bhuvneshwar - the better choice of allrounder?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 12/31/2018 at 10:19 AM, express bowling said:

Pandya is not a top 6 batsman yet.

And won't be a regular in the test team either,  especially in tests in Asia.

But I feel that he is needed in tests outside Asia if he can be made to bat at No.7 and not No.6.

And for that, Rishab Pant has to really step up and be consistent at 6. If Pant can average at least 40 in SENA, Pandya can be No.7. I believe Pandya has the game to average at least 35 in SENA. If only he can spend an entire season in County or even a full Ranji season.

both Pandya & Bhuvi are very good all rounders. The need of the hour is to use them effectively based on the conditions and develop them as better players.   As of now we have Ashwin,Jadeja,Kuldeep,Pandya,Bhuvi,Ishant,Shami,BUmrah for the last 4 spots. And all 8 simply cannot play in all matches going forward.So rotation policy based on conditions,fitness,dead rubbers,weak opponents etc etc is the   way moving forward . Bowlers in general need not 'play in all matches so that  there confidence  & rhythm  do not get disturbed'  as is the case with batsmen, I feel.All that is needed is good man management to ensure that  all these bowlers/all rounders always feel that they are part of the team whether they play in all matches or not

For example, in the on going series I am least inclined to play Pandya because   the series is still alive, he is just coming from an injury break & hence not that accustomed to conditions etc etc .For the Sydney test I would  prefer Bhuvi over him because Bhuvi   is not coming from an injury lay off, he can  put on some useful runs with out the feel of  'burden of an all rounder' etc etc .But now that the other 6 are closely engaged  with the proceedings, I think he too must not play in Sydney test

Edited by rtmohanlal

61% of those polled want Pandya. However, neither Pandya nor Bhuvi are in the shortlist 

ps

“India name 13-man squad for SCG Test: Virat Kohli (C), A Rahane (VC), KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, C Pujara, H Vihari, R Pant, R Jadeja, K Yadav, R Ashwin, M Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav 

A decision on R Ashwin's availability will be taken on the morning of the Test”

Edited by zen
On 12/31/2018 at 1:19 AM, express bowling said:

Pandya is not a top 6 batsman yet.

And won't be a regular in the test team either,  especially in tests in Asia.

But I feel that he is needed in tests outside Asia if he can be made to bat at No.7 and not No.6.

his bowling also remains a work in progress. I was just wondering who would bat at 6 in your book? I'm guessing Pant or Ashwin, although I think 6 is too high for Ashwin. If Pant can bat more judiciously, I can see him in the top 6

23 minutes ago, Vijy said:

his bowling also remains a work in progress. I was just wondering who would bat at 6 in your book? I'm guessing Pant or Ashwin, although I think 6 is too high for Ashwin. If Pant can bat more judiciously, I can see him in the top 6

Pant should be groomed as the number 6 batsman in tests ...  in the next 8 months.  He has the ability.

10 hours ago, express bowling said:

Pant should be groomed as the number 6 batsman in tests ...  in the next 8 months.  He has the ability.

10 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, I agree. if he plays some FC, he should ideally bat at 4 or 5 to prepare him further.

I too back this .... he is an aggressive left hander  . has great record in domestic. His international stats for his age and experience is  ok too. Both 'AUS series  & ENG series combined'  he  avg:s more than  even Rahane  .

3 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

I too back this .... he is an aggressive left hander  . has great record in domestic. His international stats for his age and experience is  ok too. Both 'AUS series  & ENG series combined'  he  avg:s more than  even Rahane  .

rahane's avg is not what it used to be anymore. pant is young - must acquire more game-awareness and better shot selection.