Sachin's 42nd hundred celebration!

14 centureiz' date=' and thatz not his fault that all 14 hundredz haven't resulsted in India's victory.. its more like Team didn't support him..[/quote'] Let me ask, how many of so called good players under pressure have 14 100s in their whole career?
Sachin's hundred shows that he has a master plan for the finals. He planned his batting very differently as compared to his earlier innings. It was like a slow death for the aussies.
Yeah and as Paul Giamatti in Shoot Em Up shall say - Eff me sideways! This has got to be the bizzarest explanation ever. Sachin planned his failure earlier only to succeed in finals! Bizarro with a capital B! Not sure how old many of those who support SRT here are, not even sure of their cricketing knowledge but it would be only prudent to ask them to check SRT's previous record Down Under. This is NOT the first time SRT is playing in a tri-series down under. This is NOT the first time he is playing in a tri-series finals. Now please feel free to check how many of those finals were won by India in previous tours, including those when SRT was the best batsman in the world(today he is not). Go ahead, to quote Clint Eastwood now, Make my day....punk! But seriously this is one of the rare occassions when India has won a finals down under in a tri-series and taking nothing away from SRT I would give the credit to the young brigade of Dhoni-Sharma-Sharma just as much, if not more xxxx
I completely agree with Lurks. I do know that Sachin played a matchwinning 100 yesterday , but that doesnt erase the fact he took 17 years to score a ODI 100 in Aus, and also that his ODI record against some countries like Aus, SA, NZ etc is pretty ordinary when playing there. It is a well known fact that Sachin fails in crucial games and no records are necessary to prove this. Just visualise any crucial game and India chasing 280 odd , MOST fans at their homes in front of TV will be saying " Oh no, noway Sachin is scoring today"...fans have almost taken it for granted that Sachin doesnt click in big run chases, doesnt click in very crucial games. The fact he does exceptionally well in other situations is to be appreciated of course, but when we talk of Sachin we dont talk like we do of other very good int'l players, we apply standards consistent for "world greats" and hence this higher expectation. This was a superb hundred and in a crucial final game, and yes it reflects Sachin's skills more accurately, but the fact remains it has taken long time in coming.
Thats not true, Hari, if you are talking SRT's entire career. I couldnt obtain stats on Varun's DB as the info about which games being finals is missing. I dug the cricinfo DB manually & came back with this: SRT averages 56 in tournament finals, which seems to be the highest among modern players. Ponting averages 36 Lara averages 27 Inzi averages 32 Mark Waugh 29 Gilchrist, 39 Hayden, 45 Jayasuriya, 44 Ganguly, 35

Bloody hell. This is also promises to be a 300+ thread. :cantstop: I'll pontificate a bit now: Critics of SRT, showing a little bit of admiration for a very important ton (probably the only bat in the last 10-15 years to make 2 tons against OZ in finals) won't do you any harm. Fans of SRT, overdoing the adulation can be very off putting for others. Let's cherish the ton and look forward to the next one! :top:

14 centureiz' date=' and thatz not his fault that all 14 hundredz haven't resulsted in India's victory.. its more like Team didn't support him..[/quote']
Let me ask' date=' how many of so called good players under pressure have 14 100s in their whole career?[/quote'] exactly what i was thinking 14 centuries is a lot

Agree Lurks, the credit for the win goes all around. Ishant and Praveen did a good job with the new ball, Dhoni's captaincy and handling of the bowlers was smart, Rohit played a blinder of an innings, Chawla and Harbhajan bowled very well when Symmo/Hayden were hitting out, even Uthappa managed to last a few overs against the new ball, and then of course SRT tonned up. Just that SRT's own success is particularly enjoyable given the criticisms he's received lately, many of which have come across as over-the-top/unjustified for many.

Thats not true, Hari, if you are talking SRT's entire career. I couldnt obtain stats on Varun's DB as the info about which games being finals is missing. I dug the cricinfo DB manually & came back with this: SRT averages 56 in tournament finals, which seems to be the highest among modern players. Ponting averages 36 Lara averages 27 Inzi averages 32 Mark Waugh 29 Gilchrist, 39 Hayden, 45 Jayasuriya, 44 Ganguly, 35
good 1 bumps :two_thumbs_up:....sachin critics, get over it...as he said in his interview, he doesn't need to prove anything to any1...even if he scores 100 agian in the next match ppl will start that oh ! it was against a weak attack without warne and MCGiraff ..and so on,,,,Guys runs are runs, doesn't matter which team and where and when..the guy has been scoring them consistently ...still a humble man and always eager to improve....PLZ....stop making threads about comparing him with others.....there was only 1 guy u could put into sachin's class, that was lara...so, i am going to ask 1 question to u guys..just like lara asked at the end of his carrer...didn't he entertain u all ?
So people say he does not do well in finals but has an average of 56 in finals! EH???????????
Just that SRT's own success is particularly enjoyable given the criticisms he's received lately, many of which have come across as over-the-top/unjustified for many.
Fair enough. I found Sachin's comments very interesting after the game. He said, and I paraphrase, about his criticism by some of the ex-players - They perhaps say it because they did not quite do the same when they were playing. I found that strangely fascinating as SRT doesnt give in to his emotions rather easily. The only time I can remember when he had a go of sorts was after 2003 WC win over Pakistan when he rubbed it in with a - Yes we have beaten them 4-0 in WC and I am glad we kept the record that way. Ah and by the way I beleive SRT was hitting out at Manjrekar when he made that comment about ex-players.
Not sure how old many of those who support SRT here are, not even sure of their cricketing knowledge but it would be only prudent to ask them to check SRT's previous record Down Under. This is NOT the first time SRT is playing in a tri-series down under. This is NOT the first time he is playing in a tri-series finals. Now please feel free to check how many of those finals were won by India in previous tours, including those when SRT was the best batsman in the world(today he is not).
So what is your point? Your attempt to slaughter the great sachin is starting to mark you down as a troll and a desperate one at that. Even some of the fiercest critics of sachin on this board have admitted they were wrong and eaten humble pie. You sound either very stubborn or very proud. Do you want sachin dropped from test or odi side? You are basing your slaughter of sachin simply on how he does in finals against oz in oz. Mad! He averages 50 + in finals and you criticise! NUTS!!! For the record he averages 45 against them and 35 against them in oz. The 35 average is better then most career stats for players eg The great gilly has career average of 36 to put sachins record in perspective
So what is your point? Your attempt to slaughter the great sachin is starting to mark you down as a troll and a desperate one at that. Even some of the fiercest critics of sachin on this board have admitted they were wrong and eaten humble pie. You sound either very stubborn or very proud.
And you have so figured me out now. Spare yourself, and me, the anguish and walk past my post next time onwards. :hatsoff:
And you have so figured me out now. Spare yourself' date=' and me, the anguish and walk past my post next time onwards. :hatsoff:[/quote'] Probably will have to! Its hard to take someone seriously who wants to calculate someones average by taking away their tons! If you loved the indian team from your heart you would not be slamming him after such a majestic knock. It was a work of genius
Probably will have to! Its hard to take someone seriously who wants to calculate someones average by taking away their tons! If you loved the indian team from your heart you would not be slamming him after such a majestic knock. It was a work of genius
He's not slamming, he's saying SRT's contribution was the least in that win, thus negligible, thus you need to take away the 100 and add that run to RS' score. Then the question arises, why should SRT be in the team?

Lurk, If your point is that others are not getting credit for what they are doing then that is not entirely true. There are Appreciation thread for almost everyone in the team except Yuvi. But my personal take is we have beeen consistently working on their psychy for past 2+ months. The win in this first of finals did not come as a result of good batting by SRT alone. We have created this pressure on them through out this tour. So starting with some exceptional batting performances VVS, VS and SG, SRT. Exceptional bowling performances, in Test by AK, IS and RP Some stunning catches taken by MSDhoni, RD, SRT Some brilliant fileding by younger guys throug out, Like RS stunning run outs, or stops by RU, RS, SR or IP. Some really strong verbals given back to them by HS, MSD and IS and off course last but not the least BRILLIANT captancy by AK and MSD in odis So when they walked in for finals, they (Aus) had this strong pressure that this Indian team is trying to match them in every department and while doing so the younger members are doing exceptionally well compared to Aussies youngsters. They still can't digest the fact that some 19, 20 and 23 years old guys are standing face to face and giving them back (or hammering sometimes). So all these things contributed to what the end result we see. And in doing so SRT has made as much contribution that is expected of him. I think these guys are celebrating that but not in anyway that we are ignoring the fact that Younger brigede did exceptionally well too... And rest of the guys....Chill out a bit...

I like stats and stuff, but no stats can describe SRT's batting in the Test series and innings yesterday or the half-ton he scored against SL the other day. If you haven't watched them, you can sit here pontificating about his usefulness or otherwise to the side, but the fact remains that aesthetes follow cricket for the quality that flows from batsmen such as Tendulkar. You can dissect reams and reams of statistics and never get anywhere close to comprehending why the man gives goose-pimples to so many connoisseurs of the game.