Tripura HC bans animal sacrifice in all temples with immediate effect

Gollum

1 hour ago, mishra said:

So, just for sake of argument, You are okay to resolve practice of allowing Dalits seeking blessings of God in a separate queue via different side of a temple?

Answer should be No. same queue for everyone as temple cant give special rights to choosen few.

Where is the equivalence? 

Treatment of Dalits is a discrimination problem. No one is being discriminated in these handful of shakti temples. Pray the way you want, whenever you want, whichever caste you are...even non-Hindus, foreigners are allowed in all these places. It is your personal business with the deity, you don't even have to be at the place (or time) where bali happens, neither do you have to eat the meat if that's what you are thinking :laugh:. Go once to Kamakhya and see for yourself, enjoy the atmosphere and seek her blessings...you'll understand there is more than one path. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

I don't see Hindus shoving the dead goat in the face of others who don't participate in this ritual. 

In fact this is done in the separate premises and things such as hygiene etc as well as sensitivities of others are kept in mind too. 

It isn't as if vegetarians are forced to suffer through it while they are quietly doing pooja in the mandir. 

Exactly. Some of our Hindu friends here need to expand their horizon and do some religious tourism across all corners of India. Seems like they are woefully unaware of the diversity in our faith. 

2 hours ago, maniac said:

I don't want to create the equivalence that why is this not being applied to other cultures because it is a good decision as animal sacrifice is barbaric act and I agree with this decision.

Barbaric act, excuse me? If you are vegan and PETA type, you may find meat eating practice not to your liking but you must understand that animal cruelty free world is impossible. They use rats and rabbits in drug testing, scientific research, cosmetics trials etc, extending it further we kill so many bugs, birds, reptiles knowingly and unknowingly. If you consume milk and/or eggs you are responsible for red meat and poultry industries. Claiming a moral high ground is extremely difficult (unless you are a baba), however if you suggest ways to ease the pain of animals that can be a workable option. Using labels and dismissive words aren't helping anyone tbh. 

Now time to grow some balls and apply this to bakri-Eid etc as well. About time.

Millions of animals/birds are slaughtered across the globe for food on a daily basis, Bakrid is just part of the overall picture...Muslims consume lots of meat during that period but then the graph goes downwards cos it gets monotonous/heavy for them. I think they donate a part of it to the poor and homeless, so not entirely a bad thing. Besides an entire section of economy is centered around that due to which farmers, shepherds and traders benefit.

Instead of banning I would want them to maintain sanitation, slaughter in scientific govt designated places (not housing complexes) far away from settlements, use services of professional butchers, ensure no wastage etc. Stun guns too but that they might not accept, Hadiths, Quran and all that. More govt regulation too, I am against bans, better to regulate. 

India mein per capita meat consumption bahut kam hai. You live in USA right? Must be tough out there, no?

2 hours ago, Stradlater said:

In my village we sacrificed a goat yesterday only on the auspicious first day of Navratri. 

Yaha ban kar ke batao fir batate hain. 

And those who are calling it barbaric well Go fck yourself. 

Nice to see you stand up for your culture. We Hindus need to take pride in our regional traditions, no to homogeneity. 

Me too pissed bruh. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, mishra said:

So, just for sake of argument, You are okay to resolve practice of allowing Dalits seeking blessings of God in a separate queue via different side of a temple?

Answer should be No. same queue for everyone as temple cant give special rights to choosen few.

False equivalency. No one is restricting the right of the Hindus visiting. But you are a guest in the temple. You are required , as a pilgrim and a guest, to tolerate the traditions of your host. If you don’t like it, don’t go. 

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Barbaric act, excuse me? If you are vegan and PETA type, you may find meat eating practice not to your liking but you must understand that animal cruelty free world is impossible. They use rats and rabbits in drug testing, scientific research, cosmetics trials etc, extending it further we kill so many bugs, birds, reptiles knowingly and unknowingly. If you consume milk and/or eggs you are responsible for red meat and poultry industries. Claiming a moral high ground is extremely difficult (unless you are a baba), however if you suggest ways to ease the pain of animals that can be a workable option. Using labels and dismissive words aren't helping anyone tbh. 

Killing pests to protect the crops or your health is the same thing as "sacrificing" an animal for religion?

Similarly, while I would prefer alternatives to testing on animals but testing on them to discover new breakthroughs in science for the benefit of humans sounds a better compromise than killing them in name of tradition or religion.

If someone wants to eat meat that is fine. I don't want to get get into the whole vegetarian is better for health debate as that is not the topic here.

Sometimes you just can't leave something as it is just tradition when it doesn't look right.

I understand the premise of the point you,Stradlater and Coffee are making about the hypocrisy of these judgements only pertaining to one religion, However I don't think there are too many justifications to sacrifice an innocent animal in the name of culture and religion be it for Bakri-Eid or at any temple in the name of sacrifice. I can't get around to justify it.

Edited by maniac

3 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Strangely, the types of people who selectively accuse the RSS of trying to homogenize Hinduism are absent in fighting this case. 

True man, libtard frauds missing. They are generally quite vocal about freedom of choice when it comes to food, diversity etc, sadly nowhere to be seen now.

Even RSS is quiet as is BJP, RW voices aren't generating twitter hashtags either and this indifference is more unpardonable IMO. Despite being a RWer myself, I do agree RSS has natural inclination to homogenize Hinduism...sad to see them misunderstand the religion so badly. A real pity some of our sane friends here too are falling for this farce. 

When did we become so particular about picking sides about everything, it's either you pick team left or right.

It is like you have to be a total jain monk or become this meat eating alpha male who hunts his own game. I mean is there no middle ground :laugh:

Simple I will kill mosquitoes with those electric mosquito bats you get in India (what are they called officially again) without any remorse

But give me a huge sword and ask me to chop the head off of a chicken or a goat I will refuse to do it for all the so called punya in the world.

That doesn't make me a hypocrite. 

I think sacrificing animals on the grounds of religion is barbaric.

27 minutes ago, maniac said:

Killing pests to protect the crops or your health is the same thing as "sacrificing" an animal for religion?

Similarly, while I would prefer alternatives to testing on animals but testing on them to discover new breakthroughs in science for the benefit of humans sounds a better compromise than killing them in name of tradition or religion.

The point I am trying to make is that an animal cruelty free world is impossible. By talking about fundamental right to life of animals these judges have opened a pandora's box, a multitude of questions will arise which we can't possibly answer without tying ourselves in knots.

The animals here are sacrificed in honour of the deity but ultimately consumed by people, not wasted, that's the point some of us have been trying to make. Instead of butcher's shop the animal is slaughtered at an altar within temple premises, only the venue is different. End purpose is same.

Your family might offer prasad daily during this Navratri period, often a sweet dish like Kesri, Payasam, Rava Laddu etc. Why do you offer that and not karele ka juice? Because you want to offer something to the deity which you relish, is it not? Likewise in this case forget the traditions, scriptures etc and think about it as devotees offering meat symbolically to Devi because they love meat dishes. They are still going to consume meat despite the ban, but the slaughter will be done elsewhere. So what difference does this judgement make other than pissing over time honoured shakti traditions which is an important part of religion/history/culture in Tripura? 

Edited by Gollum

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

If someone wants to eat meat that is fine. I don't want to get get into the whole vegetarian is better for health debate as that is not the topic here.

Sometimes you just can't leave something as it is just tradition when it doesn't look right.

I understand the premise of the point you,Stradlater and Coffee are making about the hypocrisy of these judgements only pertaining to one religion, However I don't think there are too many justifications to sacrifice an innocent animal in the name of culture and religion be it for Bakri-Eid or at any temple in the name of sacrifice. I can't get around to justify it.

So if eating meat is fine by you, why the * are you offended by those who are saying a prayer to their Gods before killing the creature for its meat ?? 

23 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

So if eating meat is fine by you, why the * are you offended by those who are saying a prayer to their Gods before killing the creature for its meat ?? 

Are you thick in the head or do you have comprehension issues?

Eating meat in a restaurant or the comfort of your own home the same as creating a spectacle and chopping an animal in the name of tradition?

So a tribal man who hunts for a living to provide for his family is the same as some  prick who hunts for sport because he might end up consuming the meat as well ?

Am I the only one who thinks these are not the same thing :facepalm:

Edited by maniac

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

The animals here are sacrificed in honour of the deity but ultimately consumed by people, not wasted, that's the point some of us have been trying to make. Instead of butcher's shop the animal is slaughtered at an altar within temple premises, only the venue is different. End purpose is same.

Firstly, it is not the same. How can you equate buying meat from a butcher and then cooking at the comfort of your own house to making a spectacle and chopping the head of innocent animals either be it by Jhatka or by Halal?

As I said above, do you think it is ok for a

person to kill animals for hunting as a sport because a tribal does the same to Provide for his family? Are they the same thing? 

That is wrong on so many accounts. Firstly the whole spectacle is barbaric. Then the consumption of that meat doesn’t exactly sound very hygienic.

I used to take pride in the fact that Hinduism is all about having a debate and updating customs and practices that are out dated and getting rid of some practices deemed archiac.

Whats the difference between us and abrahamic faiths if we also follow the same template that a certain custom is set a certain way and we won’t question it and blindly follow it?

Look if you are eating an animal as part of your diet, well then so be it, now I don’t want to start a sermon  there.  I can understand that. Even though  I have been a vegetarian most of my life, however I think killing an animal in the guise of custom is wrong

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Are you thick in the head or do you have comprehension issues?

Eating meat in a restaurant or the comfort of your own home the same as creating a spectacle and chopping an animal in the name of tradition?

Given that it’s to be eaten every single time, it’s essentially the same and only varies in scale and pomp. The difference of a restaurant meal and a wedding banquet.

So a tribal man who hunts for a living to provide for his family is the same as some  prick who hunts for sport because he might end up consuming the meat as well ?

If you eat the meat every time then it’s the same damn thing. 

Am I the only one who thinks these are not the same thing :facepalm:

Clearly not. You are not the only one trying to impose your sensibilities on others and their traditions that are harming no one.

Firstly, it is not the same. How can you equate buying meat from a butcher and then cooking at the comfort of your own house to making a spectacle and chopping the head of innocent animals either be it by Jhatka or by Halal?

Because both are done for the purpose of eating the said meat. I respect the one who butchers the meat more, because that person isn’t hiding behind some lame concept of not being responsible for death etc.

person to kill animals for hunting as a sport because a tribal does the same to Provide for his family? Are they the same thing? 

It is the same thing if they hunt for food. 

That is wrong on so many accounts. Firstly the whole spectacle is barbaric. Then the consumption of that meat doesn’t exactly sound very hygienic.

Who r u to judge what is barbaric in their culture ? As far as hygiene goes, it’s been that way for millennias and last I checked nobody is dying of hygiene related issues there. Clearly they know what they are doing .

I used to take pride in the fact that Hinduism is all about having a debate and updating customs and practices that are out dated and getting rid of some practices deemed archiac.

It is for THEM to get rid of, not for the judiciary or outsiders to impose on.

Whats the difference between us and abrahamic faiths if we also follow the same template that a certain custom is set a certain way and we won’t question it and blindly follow it?

The difference is we have no linear one doctrine custom. 

Look if you are eating an animal as part of your diet, well then so be it, now I don’t want to start a sermon  there.  I can understand that. Even though  I have been a vegetarian most of my life, however I think killing an animal in the guise of custom is wrong

The custom is ceremony before eating it. 

26 minutes ago, maniac said:

They are not sacrificing and throwing the meat away. They consume it just like you eat in a restaurant. They are saying grace before killing it. How is it different and why killing is not barbaric when you say grace before you eat in a home/restaurant? Is the animal happy to be killed when you eat in a restaurant as opposed to being sad when sacrificed? You are infringing on its right to live in both cases. Hence I feel it us hypocritical to be ok for meat consumption in general, but feel animal sacrifice is a barbaric act.

Edited by coffee_rules

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

They are not sacrificing and throwing the meat away. They consume it just like you eat in a restaurant. They are saying grace before eating it. How is it different and why killing is not barbaric when you eat in a restaurant? Is the animal happy to be killed when you eat in a restaurant as opposed to being sad when sacrificed? You are infringing on its right to live in both cases. Hence I feel it us hypocritical to be ok for meat consumption in general, but feel animal sacrifice is a barbaric act.

The problem is, right to live applies to plants as well. So this can only work with a strict Jain diet. My position on ethics is, it cannot be unethical for a creature to do what’s in their nature biologically. It is in ours to eat meat. So eating meat cannot be unethical for a human anymore than it is unethical for a bull to not be monogamous. 

11 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

The problem is, right to live applies to plants as well. So this can only work with a strict Jain diet. My position on ethics is, it cannot be unethical for a creature to do what’s in their nature biologically. It is in ours to eat meat. So eating meat cannot be unethical for a human anymore than it is unethical for a bull to not be monogamous. 

Do Jains eat artificial plants? Plants don't have a nervous system to feel pain ! Even if it did, it is very primitive. My point is to not compare plants vs animals, but how is it ok for meat consumption when it is not sacrificed "barbarically" and to eat it polishly in a fancy restaurant. In both cases you are killing it.. 

Edited by coffee_rules

16 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

They are not sacrificing and throwing the meat away. They consume it just like you eat in a restaurant. They are saying grace before killing it. How is it different and why killing is not barbaric when you say grace before you eat in a home/restaurant? Is the animal happy to be killed when you eat in a restaurant as opposed to being sad when sacrificed? You are infringing on its right to live in both cases. Hence I feel it us hypocritical to be ok for meat consumption in general, but feel animal sacrifice is a barbaric act.

Only relatively speaking

14 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

On reflection, I agree in spirit that all living organisms have a right to live, but ghoda agar ghas se dosti karega to khayega kya. There is nothing superior about vegetarianism and nonveg.

9 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Do Jains eat artificial plants? Plants don't have a nervous system to feel pain ! Even if it did, it is very primitive. My point is to not compare plants vs animals, but how is it ok for meat consumption when it is not sacrificed "barbarically" and to eat it polishly in a fancy restaurant. In both cases you are killing it.. 

Having a nervous system is irrelevant. We know they feel pain because they react to it. Rest is just your animal bias from being an animal. And on the latter we agree. It’s morally okay for a species to follow its biology.our biology allows us to digest meat. So it’s morally okay for us to eat meat.