Young upcoming fast bowlers thread.

rkt.india

23 minutes ago, express bowling said:

What many of these quick.pacers like Thomson have done is much more close to a javelin throw action. It is not true slinging.

Javelin is slinging. Rotating isn't slinging. The video you posted. You can throw the ball with sling even without rotating it and that will still be sling. It's not called just because you are rotating. 

22 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Javelin is slinging. Rotating isn't slinging. The video you posted. You can throw the ball with sling even without rotating it and that will still be sling. It's not called just because you are rotating. 

The speed of the attachment is generated because of the multiple rotations of the sling.

You cannot have a true slinger's action in bowling. What you some pacers replicate is PART of the action of the person USING the sling.

While Bumrah's bowling arm becomes the SLING ITSELF.

Differentiation should done between SLINGING ACTION and the part ACTION of the SLINGER.

This is what I am trying to say. They shouldn't be used interchangeably. 

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The speed of the attachment is generated because of the multiple rotations of the sling.

You cannot have a true slinger's action in bowling. What you some pacers replicate is PART of the action of the person USING the sling.

Differentiation should done between SLINGING ACTION and the part ACTION of the SLINGER.

Wasn't the notorious Atul Sharma's bowling speed supposed to come from javelin skills or some type of sling expertise? I'm not sure if anyone on ICF remembers but there were a bunch of articles long ago about some Associate cricketer from one of the African nations who came in with a javelin background and was supposed to be capable of bowling 90+ mph.

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

bowling itself is an act of rotation. All bowlers rotate their bowling arm especially front on bowlers have larger rotation. The thumb rule for front on hip dominant bowlers is to make an 'O' as big as possible with their bowling arm while rotating. It doesn't make them a slinger. Rotating a sling in circle isn't slinging. Throwing with a sling in itself is slinging.

Edited by rkt.india
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

bowling itself is an act of rotation. All bowlers rotate their bowling arm especially front on bowlers have larger rotation.

No other pacer has a 180 degree + 360 degree arm rotation like Bumrah ... done very fast and seamlessly in an unbroken motion... with a straight arm.

The thumb rule for front on hip dominant bowlers is to make an 'O' as big as possible with their bowling arm while rotating. It doesn't make them a slinger. Rotating a sling in circle isn't slinging. Throwing with a sling in itself is slinging.

It does not make him a slinger (  person using the sling. )

But a pacer like Bumrah is slinging. (  his bowling arm is used like the sling itself )

I explained the difference above.

You cannot redefine the English language to suit cricket.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

No other pacer has a 360 degree +180 degree arm rotation like Bumrah.

It does not make him a slinger.

But a pacer like Bumrah is slinging. 

I explained the difference above.

You cannot redefine the English language to suit cricket.

This is slingy bowling explained. Bumrah isn't slingy. Bumrah doesn't do anything different than other front on bowlers to be called slinger. All bowlers rotate their arm 360 degree.

30 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

This is slingy bowling explained. Bumrah isn't slingy. Bumrah doesn't do anything different than other front on bowlers to be called slinger. All bowlers rotate their arm 360 degree.

You are not understanding what I am trying to say and are just getting caught up in the terms that are loosely used in cricket.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

You are not understanding what I am trying to say and are just getting caught up in the terms that are loosely used in cricket.

Your idea of sling is wrong. Check the pics. Sling in fast bowling is the pics I showed you. This is Slingshot. 360+180 degree rotation isn't slinging. You have absolutely incorrect notion of sling in cricket. 

https://www.pitchvision.com/how-to-bowl-with-a-slingy-action

Screenshot_2021-09-05-09-42-03-30.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-05-09-39-24-30.jpg

Edited by rkt.india
16 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Your idea of sling is wrong. Check the pics. Sling in fast bowling is the pics I showed you. This is Slingshot. 360+180 degree rotation isn't slinging. You have absolutely incorrect notion of sling in cricket. 

https://www.pitchvision.com/how-to-bowl-with-a-slingy-action

Screenshot_2021-09-05-09-42-03-30.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-05-09-39-24-30.jpg

You are confusing a sling with a slingshot.

A slingshot uses a catapulting motion.

30 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Even Jofra Archer, Starc make 360+180 degree angles. Every bowler who takes his arm above head makes 180+360 degree angle

BUMRAH  ... Straight stiff bowling arm ... Rotates bowling arm very fast and seamlessly in a slinging circular motion that covers 180 degrees + 360 degrees.

ARCHER ... Slightly bent bowling arm ... Lifts his bowling arm 180 degrees rather slowly ... Then rotates his bent bowling arm 360 degrees, that too not so fast and not seamlessly with the first movement ... the movement isn't that circular either.

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You are confusing a sling with a slingshot.

A slingshot uses a catapulting motion.

Slingshot in short is called sling in cricket. It's catapulting. You had some misunderstanding.

The rotation you are talking about, almost all front on bowlers do that rotation of 180 + 360. Once your bowling arm goes above head, it is a 180 degree rotation and then it comes down back and rotates backwards, it becomes 360 degree rotation. You are confused just because Bumrah has straight arm without elbow bend when it goes up while elbow doesn't make any difference because bowling doesn't make use of the elbow.

Al Amin Husain, Morne Morkel, Archer, Starc all have same rotation. Even Naseem Shah. There are many more, Steve harmison, Hamish Bennett.

Edited by rkt.india
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

BUMRAH  ... Straight stiff bowling arm ... Rotates bowling arm very fast and seamlessly in a slinging motion that covers 180 degrees + 360 degrees.

ARCHER ... Slightly bent bowling arm ... Lifts his bowling arm 180 degrees rather slowly ... Then rotates his bent bowling arm 360 degrees, that too not so fast and not seamlessly with the first movement.

So the slinger video you posted that guy has straight arm? No, he doesn't. Straight arm just doesn't matter at all because elbow isn't used in bowling. Archer is much more smoother and seamless than Bumrah. Bumrah has to exert a lot. In fact, that straight arm is limiting his pace. A better molded action, he could have been bowling as fast as Archer.

A point I am worried about is that a fast bowler has a very short Peak Bowling fitness.

It is like 3 to 4 years as a build up and then 2 to 3 years as Peak fast bowling stage ( fastest he can bowl) and then next 3 to 6 years as GOING DOWN/Declining stage ( when he has a lot of SKILLS but his pace declines rapidly or slowly depending on individuals).

LIke Kapil, he continued to play for those 6 declining Years also. 

ZAK played only 1 or 2 years during the declining stage. Srinath resigned as soon as declining started but was called back by ganguly and then he again resigned soon.

fast bowlers should identify these declining years and kind of call it a day and get into coaching or other fields of cricket.

where as Batting is a full 8 to 12 year of Peak fitness and later the eyesight starts going down and then physical fitness.

indian selectors should identify these Peak fast bowling Stage and may be play one fast bowler who may have started declining just on his experience and Skills. 

many team selectors have committed a mistake by playing fast bowlers just based on past achievements where as they are in their declining stage.

Boom , Siraj seem to be in Peak fast bowling stage , IShant is declining very fast ( retiring fitness) and SHammi and Umesh have started the declining stage.

Prasidh, Avesh, siraj, boom and Shammi and if a sixth bowler was required then Umesh Or any good genuinely fast left arm pacer( not nargaswalla). i think IShant has declined and that's why he was not played in IPL, avesh was selected ahead of him and Umesh yadav. Indian selectors should have dropped him.

shardul could have been picked as all rounder as now his pace bowling is at declining stage and he cannot be playing for India as a pacer. hardik seems to be history now for tests as he has fitness issues at least in bowling.

13 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

So the slinger video you posted that guy has straight arm? No, he doesn't. Straight arm just doesn't matter at all because elbow isn't used in bowling. Archer is much more smoother and seamless than Bumrah. Bumrah has to exert a lot. In fact, that straight arm is limiting his pace. A better molded action, he could have been bowling as fast as Archer.

Again you are mixing up a SLINGER's ACTION with the MOTION of the SLING itself.

My point is NOT whether Bumrah's action is optimum for pace generation.

His bowling arm motion replicates the motion of a sling. 

That's all.

5 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Best of luck,dont forget his batting and fielding ,even if he doesnt turn out to be that quick, you can make him into an all round cricketer,someone like  prabhakar,pandya ,pathan,chahar type arent bad ,or for that matter kapil dev!!.

As much as i love quick bowling but i have one doubt ,is having a slingy action that good a thing? most of the pacers you have named like lee,johnson,edwards ,thomson have high averages ,only shoaib is low ,maybe it affects the balance of the bowlers, what do you think?

The names you mentioned were all express, operating at those speeds isn't easy at all,i believe slingers who are knee dominants have more stressful action than hip dominants they have to take care of quiye a few things from impulse stride to follow through,so control is an issue there but pace is not