Trescothick retires

Marcus Trescothick has announced his retirement from international cricket. The 32-year-old has been suffering from a stress-related illness which makes travelling abroad difficult. The former England opener, who played in 76 Tests and 123 one-day games, said he was retiring now so that the England team could plan their future. He said: "It is in the best interests of all concerned the issue is put to rest so the England team can concentrate on moving forward." Trescothick last played for England against Pakistan at The Oval last summer but has not featured in an overseas tour since returning before the start of the Ashes in Australia at the end of 2006. Last week, he was set to travel to Dubai with his county team Somerset on a pre-season tour but pulled out when the squad arrived at Heathrow Airport. Trescothick told the Somerset CCC website: "I have tried on numerous occasions to make it back to the international stage and it has proved a lot more difficult than I expected. "I want to extend my playing career for as long as possible and I no longer want to put myself through the questions and demands that go with trying to return to the England team." Trescothick, who averaged 43.79 with the bat in Tests, said he was proud and privileged to have played for England. But he admitted travelling abroad had become "extremely stressful" and said he instead wanted to concentrate on his Somerset career. "My desire to play cricket is as strong as it ever was," added Trescothick, who made his Test debut against West Indies in 2000. "It is a very big season for the club and I am looking forward very much to playing a full part." Hugh Morris, the newly appointed managing director of the England and Wales Cricket Board, paid tribute to Trescothick. "I would like to place on record my thanks to Marcus for the enormous contribution he has made to the England team in both Test and One Day International cricket," he said. "I fully respect and understand his decision to retire from international cricket and wish him every success in his future career with Somerset."

this is really quite odd I must say ... without trying to marginalize his illness ... I am not sure I have ever heard an illness which is induced purely by the thought of being abroad ... oh well ... he had a nice above average career .. in fact he is still prolly England's top 5 ODI players if not better

He was one THE best timers of the cricket ball I have ever seen. Could take away the match from you in an hour, if he got going. He was one of those rare batsman, whose bat didnt 'shimmy' upon impact with the ball, which is probably one of the reasons why he timed it so well. His international debut heralded a golden age for English cricket, starting 2002 and ended with victory in the Ashes in 2005. Trescothick, along with Strauss were a very good opening combination.

Guest Hiten.

I watched him play in Wankhede Stadium and he scored 95 runs (Eng eventually won the game by close margin). Terrific batting display that was. Good luck for his stint with Somerset.

I am not sure I can relate with his illness much, though. But good he chose to retire than magnify his illness before the world everytime he pulled out of a tour. Does he go to the Bahamas or the Caribbean for a vacation? ... just a thought ... Travel sickness or just work related travel sickness? ... anyways, good luck to him.

He was my favourite English bat after Thorpe. He was awesome against spin and pretty aggressive against pace. He made the slog sweep shot his own. IMO he was one of the best test openers in the world during 2001-2004.

What a shame. He was a very exciting batsman' date=' played many great knocks against India. One of the few batsmen i can recall who have silenced a full house at the Eden Gardens.[/quote'] I remember that knock. That was savage hitting. The LBW decision he got was beyond ridiculous.

Who cares for the cry baby? The latter part of his career since 2005 he had many problems bugging him enough not to play cricket. Problems as bad as quitting a tour as his F-I-L fell down from a ladder. He showed what happens to a guy who lets his better half control his life more than himself.

sad stuff... good player

Who cares for the cry baby? The latter part of his career since 2005 he had many problems bugging him enough not to play cricket. Problems as bad as quitting a tour as his F-I-L fell down from a ladder. He showed what happens to a guy who lets his better half control his life more than himself.
he had some kinda illness... u dont, so u dont know what its like, so stfu :two_thumbs_up:
There are all kinds of sicknesses out there coffee ....not under control.Sometimes the sickness is too strange for others to understand and may be he just uses other excuses. I suffer from vertigo and when it is bad then even someone waving a hand close to my face or running fast towards me makes me giddy.Once I got giddy just watching my students singing because they were moving side to side together.These things are difficult for others to understand but can make life really difficult for the person suffering from it.