Cancel the ODI series

4 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

Problem is it takes 7 to 14 days for it to get detected. Which means if your immune system is strong, there's no problem but likely to pass it on to someone with less immunity/kids/elders.

It is mostly affecting 30+. Kids are safer than older people.

1 hour ago, ganeshran said:

This is plain wrong. The growth rate of the cases is exponential. It can spread very very quickly. USA had 15 cases just a week or so back. today it crossed 1000

The only unknown is the spread of the virus in the heat. We dont know whether it will die down because of the heat. Lets hope it does but prepare for the worst case scenario either way

Mortality rate is 3%.  Most of the affected people have recovered.

India is very crowded, how does one stop corona type of virus when millions are walking almost shoulder to shoulder on the street, taking the bus, train, etc. Cricket matches might be the last concern in this type of situation. This is one of those double edge swordish situation - to stop spreading it, stop all activity and stay home and let the economy crumble or go do your thing, do what's necessary to stay safe. Can't have it both ways.

27 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

India is very crowded, how does one stop corona type of virus when millions are walking almost shoulder to shoulder on the street, taking the bus, train, etc. Cricket matches might be the last concern in this type of situation. This is one of those double edge swordish situation - to stop spreading it, stop all activity and stay home and let the economy crumble or go do your thing, do what's necessary to stay safe. Can't have it both ways.

People have to do what they do to earn money, but going to stadiums, movies, functions, etc. can be avoided at least for now as a precautionary measure.

4 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

More people travel on local trains in mumbai than those who attend a cricket match.

The OP has little idea about India.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

those people have no choice.people from all over the country come to watch the cricket match,if some of them catch the virus then we are making it easier for it to spread it all over country when those people go home.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Mortality rate is 3%.  Most of the affected people have recovered.

3% is massive for a virus which spreads this quickly ( Even 1-2% is huge for a disease which could impact millions). It also risks overwhelming the medical system with not enough isolation wards or ICU beds available. 

In a developing country without social safety net, people will go to work and end up spreading the virus everywhere. The hot weather is pretty much the only hope right now

43 minutes ago, ganeshran said:

3% is massive for a virus which spreads this quickly ( Even 1-2% is huge for a disease which could impact millions). It also risks overwhelming the medical system with not enough isolation wards or ICU beds available. 

In a developing country without social safety net, people will go to work and end up spreading the virus everywhere. The hot weather is pretty much the only hope right now

Yeah like I said the ignorance about this is astounding, especially in India :hmpf:

It might slow down the spread but as many have said before, there's no indication nCoV spread will be affected by Summer or even moderately high temps.

18 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Yeah like I said the ignorance about this is astounding, especially in India :hmpf:

It might slow down the spread but as many have said before, there's no indication nCoV spread will be affected by Summer or even moderately high temps.

There is also no evidence it won't in heat if you see previous record of such viruses.

7 hours ago, Lannister said:

Virus mutate with positive and negative mutations 

I will be surprised if it is there in summer . It will never go away but we will all have some baseline herd immunity ... right now we lack that 

The Who is right . Summer in one hemisphere is winter ❄️in some parts of another hemishpere . Stay calm . The fact that india is not affected is reassuring 

7 hours ago, R!TTER said:

You're forgetting Italy, Iran then? There's also no indication that the nCoV has heat as a potential deterrent in it's wake, so this rumor needs to die down! In fact, as temps grow the number of cases are also growing exponentially, though that may also have to do with infected patients spreading it across the globe.

Yes, but as you know we can only count fatalities from the number of confirmed cases. In that sense DJT is right that the absolute fatality "might" be lower but then again are we counting patients who've died of nCoV & not been reported or detected? In that sense it's a slippery road, one thing is clear though it is more deadly than most strains of influenza & highly contagious!

That's interesting (is it a feature of all influenza/CoV strains?) because this is what killed people the most in Spanish flu. I wasn't aware that nCoV is also leading to this, but possibly in lesser number or % of people than the disease that killed well over 50 million over a century back?

Just to be clear it's a 2 part statement & I guess you probably being in medicine(?) would know a lot more about it's genealogy & lifecycle.

Temperature in Tehran right now is 17 degree 

celcius 

mumbai it’s 30 degree Celsius - big difference 

it’s a virus like common cold hence anybody can get it . But seems to have low case fatality in general . But issue is it’s overwhelming my er ... if u have more people coming in for corona virus , regular services get disrupted . People don’t get seen for other conditions . Kids don’t get regular vaccines .. people delay getting a stress chest ... so in that sense health systems get overwhelmed and non corona case fatalities. Start increasing . 

the ct scans of all young health people in icu with corona virus show severe cytokine stems . 
antiretroviral drugs are helping 

38 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

There is also no evidence it won't in heat if you see previous record of such viruses.

The closest incident, representing the scale of this thing, is the "Spanish Flu" & why do I keep going back to that? Because it got much, much worse before it got better. SARS belongs to the same family of viruses but it's almost as if this was "engineered" to be nearly as deadly as SARS though much more virulent & contagious, kinda like influenza.

6 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Temperature in Tehran right now is 17 degree 

We're talking entire Iran which is affected, then Italy. You're also forgetting that India does have like 3-4 months of cold weather & can get really chilly even in the monsoon, so it's not like we get free immunity just because we're near the tropics.

10 minutes ago, mani sha said:

the ct scans of all young health people in icu with corona virus show severe cytokine stems . 
antiretroviral drugs are helping 

That sounds somewhat assuring, although I will add that we have yet to see the full brunt of it in India. The issue in India isn't just nCoV, the air is so polluted that any potential infection may cause other respiratory illnesses like a cascade & we obviously have no way to stop that. I for one, am of the opinion that Indians are at just as much risk because of our (much more) polluted environment especially air!

7 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

People have to do what they do to earn money, but going to stadiums, movies, functions, etc. can be avoided at least for now as a precautionary measure.

I am all for that. I myself have been trying to not go out if it doesn't require me to, and I live in CAN. My POV was, in a place like India, cricket matches or no cricket matches, it will spread like wildfire due to population crisis. 

While we are on that subject, seems like Asia v world has been put on hold for now which is the right decision. I donno why India is going on with these meaningless bileteral series when there is a possible outbreak

6 hours ago, R!TTER said:

We're talking entire Iran which is affected, then Italy. You're also forgetting that India does have like 3-4 months of cold weather & can get really chilly even in the monsoon, so it's not like we get free immunity just because we're near the tropics.

That sounds somewhat assuring, although I will add that we have yet to see the full brunt of it in India. The issue in India isn't just nCoV, the air is so polluted that any potential infection may cause other respiratory illnesses like a cascade & we obviously have no way to stop that. I for one, am of the opinion that Indians are at just as much risk because of our (much more) polluted environment especially air!

True about pollution adding to respiratory illness . As I speak first two cases in my hometown mumbai . And India closes down travel ... v v interesting response . Think it’s a good move 

yes colder areas in India at risk .. my gut though feels that it’s gonna be ok .the cohort of Italian travellers in India would have by now infected more people . 
praying for India as it’s gonna be very difficult if indeed the virus takes a liking for us