Question-pedia - Ask away questions and get answers.

coffee_rules

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Don’t know literal meaning, but the gist is Ekadashi will make you eat more , to that effect. Ekadashi is the day of fasting in a month.?

I'm not sure.

I thought it means Ekadashi is twice as holy as Kashi.

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@BacktoCricaddict

What does "Ekadashi duppat khaashi :-)" mean?

Ekadashi (11th day from new moon or full moon) are fasting days each month.  Mainly staple grains like rice and wheat, along with certain veggies etc are not allowed.  But other starch sources such as potatoes, tapioca (sabudana), moraiyo (amaranth seed) are allowed.  The menu from these allowed fasting items can be quite elaborate and provide more calories than a regular meal.

Literally it means, "on Ekadashi, you eat twice as much."

3 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:
23 minutes ago, Mariyam said:
[mention=28110]BacktoCricaddict[/mention]

What does "Ekadashi duppat khaashi :-)" mean?

Thought you knew Marathi..

Clearly, not that well.

This is not common parlance.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Glad you didn’t relate it to Ekadashi is twice as bad as Khaasi (cough)

On the other hand, if my grandma were to be believed, doing the fasting thing would cure everything from cough to cancer.  Thinking back, I can see how these fasts help to keep metabolic syndrome (obesity, diabetes) under check - but only if done in the right spirit of actually fasting and not eating a bag of potato chips for lunch because it is allowed.  

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

On the other hand, if my grandma were to be believed, doing the fasting thing would cure everything from cough to cancer.  Thinking back, I can see how these fasts help to keep metabolic syndrome (obesity, diabetes) under check - but only if done in the right spirit of actually fasting and not eating a bag of potato chips for lunch because it is allowed.  

People eat more junk during these...potato is allowed type of fast.

I fast on mondays. I started off only eating fruits and milk. Slowly peanuts, chikki , til laddos, chocolates , breezer etc were added. I am sure I consume more calories on mondays than other days.

Edited by beetle

I fast on mondays. I started off only eating fruits and milk. Slowly peanuts, chikki , til laddos, chocolates , breezer etc were added. I am sure I consume more calories on mondays than other days.
Rofl

5 hours ago, beetle said:

:-)!!  

Vaise daaru bhi chaltaa hai.  Like ... Beer is okay, but barley is not.        

6 hours ago, beetle said:

Breezer :woot: for upwaas. Pehli baar suna ye pratha! Isi ko shayad kehta hain ki Upwaas chadhana! :lol:

Actually, you are not supposed to eat any vegetables/nuts grown under the ground. Onion, Aloo, peanuts to mana hain. 

Avalakki (poha), Jaggery, coconut mix, or puffed corn (araLu),

Keeping the Question  thread in mind...

If Gaumutra and Gobar are waste products, how come eating kidneys, testicles, liver, small/large intestine of animals considered ok for nonveg eating atheists? Just asking, not advocating urine/**** consumption.

Edited by coffee_rules

33 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Breezer :woot: for upwaas. Pehli baar suna ye pratha! Isi ko shayad kehta hain ki Upwaas chadhana! :lol:

Shiv ji ka fast hai....:p:

We don't believe in no onion garlic stuff. Never saw my mom follow.

I don't eat grains , veggies ,salt ,eggs or egg products(no non veg for non vegetarians)

In the night , I eat a normal vegetarian meal with salt and no restriction on type of vegetables.

When I was a teenager, panditji told me to keep thursday fast and not to eat bananas that day....I heard it as ' eat bananas ' that day. 

I used to eat only bananas the whole day. :facepalm:

Thankfully ,God doesn't care as much as the people who make the rules.

Edited by beetle

42 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If Gaumutra and Gobar are waste products, how come eating kidneys, testicles, liver, small/large intestine of animals considered ok for nonveg eating atheists? Just asking, not advocating urine/**** consumption

I am a vegetarian ....and non gobar gomutra consumer. 

43 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Actually, you are not supposed to eat any vegetables/nuts grown under the ground. Onion, Aloo, peanuts to mana hain. 

Avalakki (poha), Jaggery, coconut mix, or puffed corn (araLu),

Keeping the Question  thread in mind...

If Gaumutra and Gobar are waste products, how come eating kidneys, testicles, liver, small/large intestine of animals considered ok for nonveg eating atheists? Just asking, not advocating urine/**** consumption.

Nothing wrong with consuming gobar or gaumutra.  Just don't claim they have magical powers to cure all your body-mind-spirit problems.  

20 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I fasted a couple of times recently drinking honey lemon water through the day and eating fruit starting from the afternoon onwards. It was not easy, but doable. I realized how much I overeat everyday and reduced portion size little bit.