INDIANS from NORTH-EASTERN STATES are now being attacked and harassed all over the country

Manny_Pacquiao

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

If something like what this delhiite did happened in Chennai, he would be beaten up by the local lower wage people like autorickshaw drivers. These lower wage people have other bad attributes such as intolerance towards other state people but they don't humiliate people like this. spitting paan on someone is the ultimate humiliation. Paan spitting and gutka chewing has increased in Chennai with the arrival of northie workers. some of these people spit every few seconds and don't even look at who is nearby and whether or not it may fall on them :facepalm:good luck with controlling this mass epidemic

This regionalistic attitude doesn't help. everyone should be united, as indians. now is not the time to do the northies vs southies bakwaas.

Finally, someone speaks about this in mainstream print media:

https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/india-news-opinion-not-covid-19-racism-is-a-virus-that-knows-no-cure-and-india-is-a-hotspot/303019

Racism is a deadly virus. A global scourge that has no known cures yet. Its manifestations are ugly, even fatal. And who would know that better in independent India than a native of the Northeast—that part which is still mysterious and exotic for many of their countrymen. It’s not familiarity which breeds contempt here—it’s the lack of a capacity to be familial. An outright refusal by “mainland India” to see beyond its nose, to truly understand and appreciate anything beyond what it already thinks and knows. Here, they are presented with a diverse people, with div­erse cultures, languages and food habits, with one commonality: that for all of them, their home is not a remote corner of a huge country, but the centre of their universe.

But racism is a global pandemic, and also a local one. Taunts, abuses and even physical assault directed at people from the Northeast, with distinctly Mongoloid features, are a symptom that any roadside checking can catch. Just the other day, a Mizo girl, apparently a student, was accosted by a woman at a Pune department store. For the Pune woman, the Northeast girl was a “Chinese”, a carrier of COVID-19. Her abuses, caught on mobile phone video and widely circulated online, were only the latest proof of supreme ignorance. In Delhi, another inc­ident saw racism and sexism at work tog­ether when a 40-year-old man spat at a woman from Manipur and called her “corona”, following on some lewd comments. (The man has since been arr­ested, mercifully) That was no exception.

The inherent racism among Indians—against even other Indians—shows up often. Even inadvertently. Like a tweet by Ashok Swain, whose bio says he is a Professor of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University in Sweden. He faced a backlash, mostly from Northeasterners, when he tried to compare “exotic” Chinese food habits with “Frogs in Sikkim & Goa, Red Ants Chutney in Chhattisgarh 3. Snail stew, steamed hornet larvae in Nagaland 4. Dog meat in Nagaland, Mizoram & Manipur 5. Pig Brain in Meghalaya 6. Silkworm curry in Assam”. A rough ethnography that ended up, doubtless inadvertently, appearing even more racist. So widespread have been such ins­tances that political leaders of the Northeast have often appealed to the Centre to take harsh action against these racist attacks. A small irony there.

I don't agree with some of the political undertones contained in the article, but these comments are correct.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:57 AM, jf1gp_1 said:

Educated ones yes i agree but as a hindi speaking individual from northern part of India i have mixed experience for the few times i have visited Chennai. I would also upfront confess i last visited 8yrs ago so a lot might have changed.

Agree. My experience too though it was 13 years back but there is some xenophobia was there towards Northies.

16 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Pune isn't north.

Yes it is , North of South India. I agree the m rest of India has this superiority feeling over NE. I remember a lot of them went running back to their homes after rumors of some Muslims in Bangalore threatened to kill them as a retaliatory attack to hundreds of illegals were killed by Bodo separatists in Assam.

Need something similar from indian politicians. maybe PM modi could make a statement in relation to north-easterners?

President Trump said at a briefing Thursday he may stop referring to coronavirus as “Chinese virus” if it bothered the Chinese community.

Although he said he would consider nixing the term, he didn’t think there was anything wrong with it.

Trump began calling COVID-19 “Chinese Virus” soon after rumors began circulating among Chinese officials that coronavirus found its origin in the U.S. Army, and he rejected objections from the media that the term might be “racist.” However, he said that if China continues to protest the name he might stop using it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-may-stop-coronavirus-chinese-virus

well, this is interesting.

Chinese nationals working in Nepal clashed with local Nepali people on ... The locals were agitated as the workers had just returned from China

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/south-asia/go-back-clashes-erupt-between-nepali-locals-chinese-workers-amid-lockdown/articleshow/74913551.cms

Maybe this is a solution? just use the north-easterners to express anti-chinese sentiment.