Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners in IPL 2020

express bowling

Young Indian fast bowlers are showing a lot of promise at U19 level for the last 5 years. They have the raw talent.

But I get the feeling that they are not being guided or mentored properly after that. Avesh, Khaleel, Mavi and Nagarkoti have not progressed the way they could have, given their talent. 

While Rabada, Alzari and Shaheen have become regulars for their teams. 

BCCI needs to look into this aspect. 

Is it a case of too many coaches guided them at different times and confusing them ?  Or is it the lack of a central co-ordinator for youngster development ?  Why are they not playing sufficient FC, the bedrock of career development ?

A talent like Prasidh has played just around 10 FC games so many years after debut.

Even supremely talented young batsmen like Gill, Shaw and Pant are losing their way.

Something to reflect about.

Edited by express bowling

Someone should talk to the young Indian fast bowlers about the lines and lengths they should try to bowl.

I am not talking about poor execution here  ... which can happen to youngsters.

But the deliveries they are trying are often not the ideal ones. Too many poor deliveries and too many variations are being tried. While not enough top of off stump directed deliveries are being tried in the first 15 overs.

17 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

That will be absolutely foolish for RR as one mat h before this he bowled beauty against greatest loi batsmen the world has ever seen,for a kid like him patience is worth investment

You should expect such blunders from RR

19 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Young Indian fast bowlers are showing a lot of promise at U19 level for the last 5 years. They have the are talent.

But I get the feeling that they are not being guided or mentored properly after that. Avesh, Khaleel, Mavi and Nagarkoti have not progressed the way they could have, given their talent. 

While Rabada, Alzari and Shaheen have become regulars for their teams. 

BCCI needs to look into this aspect. 

Is it a case of too many coaches guided them at different times and confusing them ?  Or is it the lack of a central co-ordinator for youngster development ?  Why are they not playing sufficient FC, the bedrock of career development ?

A talent like Prasidh has played just around 10 FC games so many years after debut.

Even supremely talented young batsmen like Gill, Shaw and Pant are losing their way.

Something to reflect about.

I don't think Mavi,Nagarkoti bowled that bad,they had a mixed season so far,yes we had high expectations but then they barely had matches behind them

Im sure these are hard working kids,and BCCI will look after them well,things have changed there is a culture behind they can look upto their own heroes such Bumrah,Shami,Ishant and i meant to say way of coaching has changed too

I won't recognise their potential on IPL performance,lets see how they fare in FCs(including A matches)

Even still i hope old Khaleel makes a comeback

Gill,Shaw,Pant will come good bro,they will be in good hands

Edited by Suhaan

27 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

That will be absolutely foolish for RR as one mat h before this he bowled beauty against greatest loi batsmen the world has ever seen,for a kid like him patience is worth investment

What gives me hope is that Tyagi got to bowl his last 2 overs too at the death, despite bowling 2 poor overs upfront. 

He is being looked at as a good enough death bowler and RR does not have many.

11 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

I don't think Mavi,Nagarkoti bowled that bad,they had a mixed season so far,yes we had high expectations but then they barely had matches behind them

Im sure these are hard working kids,and BCCI will look after them well,things have changed there is a culture behind they can look upto their own heroes such Bumrah,Shami,Ishant and i meant to say way of coaching has changed too

I won't recognise their potential on IPL performance,lets see how they fare in FCs(including A matches)

Even still i hope old Khaleel makes a comeback

Gill,Shaw,Pant will come good bro,they will be in good hands

Bro, I am not blaming the youngsters. Most of them look like hard working kids who want to make it big. 

Nor am I talking about performances in just this IPL.

But none of them have progressed the way they could have, in their careers. Not even a single one despite being so talented. There must be some reason behind it. 

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bro, I am not blaming the youngsters. Most of them look like hard working kids who want to make it big. 

Nor am I talking about performances in just this IPL.

But none of them have progressed the way they could have, in their careers. Not even a single one despite being so talented. There must be some reason behind it. 

Mavi,Nagarkoti were mostly out injured

Mavi whatever little he played in Ranjis did well

Shaw,Pant,Gill all had atleast one good season in FC

Lets see how they fare from here post pandemic

Starting after pandemic is like debuting once again(for these boys)

,to have concern is quite natural,maybe lets wait for some more time

12 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Mavi,Nagarkoti were mostly out injured

Mavi whatever little he played in Ranjis did well

Shaw,Pant,Gill all had atleast one good season in FC

Lets see how they fare from here post pandemic

Starting after pandemic is like debuting once again(for these boys)

,to have concern is quite natural,maybe lets wait for some more time

Nagarkoti took almost 2 years to recover. Many people felt that his injury and recovery process was not managed properly. 

Prasidh did not get to play FC for 3 years.

Khaleel's action and bowling style was tampered with just after joining Team India, and he was never the same bowler again. And he has not played enough FC too.

Tyagi's run up was changed and he was using larger steps while running in. 

Avesh has lost pace.

Gill's off side play has deteriorated. Maybe someone has changed his grip a bit.

Shaw seems confused and demotivated. 

These are the issues which are bothersome.

Mavi's case is ok.

46 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Someone should talk to the young Indian fast bowlers about the lines and lengths they should try to bowl.

I am not talking about poor execution here  ... which can happen to youngsters.

But the deliveries they are trying are often not the ideal ones. Too many poor deliveries and too many variations are being tried. While not enough top of off stump directed deliveries are being tried in the first 15 overs.

Thats why i had written in earlier post about the need for a very good pace bowling coach  someone like Mcdermott.  Shami , Bhumra might have become good under B Arun , but that is after several years . Shami is playing almost 7+ years ? Bumrah is an exception . He can read the conditions and change his game between sessions . 

If these youngsters are to continue as is now , then they may also take 4-5 years to become good and who knows only 1 or 2 may succeed .

But these young bowlers need a mentor who can drill home the finer points of taking wickets - primarily test match wicket taking bowling.  Once you have that ability , adapting to one dayers will be easier . You need to have accurate Yorkers and some death over bowling. skills as additions . 

Pace alone will not take them further .

Have a couple of  2-3 month stint with such a mentor  and then assess how they do in FC matches . 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Nagarkoti took almost 2 years to recover. Many people felt that his injury and recovery process was not managed properly. 

Prasidh did not get to play FC for 3 years.

Khaleel's action and bowling style was tampered with just after joining Team India, and he was never the same bowler again. And he has not played enough FC too.

Tyagi's run up was changed and he was using larger steps while running in. 

Avesh has lost pace.

Gill's off side play has deteriorated. Maybe someone has changed his grip a bit.

Shaw seems confused and demotivated. 

These are the issues which are bothersome.

Mavi's case is ok.

Our fast bowling coaching methods are still old school

Our fast bowling coaches at grassroot level must come to the terms of new age methods

I was reading somewhere these days coaches are training guys based on Steffan Jones research work,

Steffan Jones is highly appreciated name in fast bowling coaching,but seems we still lag in guiding our pacers,it will take time

1 hour ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Thats why i had written in earlier post about the need for a very good pace bowling coach  someone like Mcdermott.  Shami , Bhumra might have become good under B Arun , but that is after several years . Shami is playing almost 7+ years ? Bumrah is an exception . He can read the conditions and change his game between sessions . 

If these youngsters are to continue as is now , then they may also take 4-5 years to become good and who knows only 1 or 2 may succeed .

But these young bowlers need a mentor who can drill home the finer points of taking wickets - primarily test match wicket taking bowling.  Once you have that ability , adapting to one dayers will be easier . You need to have accurate Yorkers and some death over bowling. skills as additions . 

Pace alone will not take them further .

Have a couple of  2-3 month stint with such a mentor  and then assess how they do in FC matches . 

Will a strong and independent fast bowling coach be able to function properly in the Kohli / Shastri regime ?  If the answer is yes then I have no problem. 

But we need to look at the pre-international coaching style and coaches too. The mentors and coaches who handle the transformation from U19 or U23 level to Senior cricket. I think we are lagging here.