Movies that surprised you!

zen

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Don't know how I missed this. Road house ( 1989 ) was cheesy unadulterated fun. Swayze was in different zone. 

Road House and The Rock’ Dwayne Johnson’s Walking Tall are similar. I liked Road House. Guilty pleasure 

Edited by coffee_rules

Quo Vadis (1951) 

This is a Roman-era epic with a religious angle to it. Saw its trailer (didn't recall much about the film and if I had watched it in the past) and it had Deborah Kerr looking good in it so I immediately bought it on iTunes (I may have a subconscious crush on her). 

An excellent time pass with tons of drama in it. I liked how "Nero" is woven into the story. Surprised that I didn't recall much about this film and avoided watching it for so long. If not for Deborah Kerr, I may have missed it. Technically very good for a 1951 film esp. with its colors. The print on iTunes was excellent as well. 

Three Days of the Condor (1975) 

This is a good understated elegant thriller starring Robert Redford and Max von Sydow. Recently, the film was restored and released in 4K DV. 

What surprised me was its cinematography. The film is shot in NYC (and you get to see the Twin Towers too) and Washington D.C. The cityscapes, whether in the day or at night, are captured nicely, making you want to go out and shoot some part of your city.

The 4K presentation is nicely done as well, where HDR/DV complements the image rather than taking over and turning it into a bright torch show. What is bright is what is needed to be bright (but not blinding bright) such as street lights, lamps, taillights, etc. 

I like adventure films. King Solomon's Mines films used to provide entertainment when growing up. The version that I used to watch (or had access to) was the 1985 one starring Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone. There was a follow-up film to it as well - Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (1986). However, now these films may not click like they used to. 

There is a classic version of King Solomon's Mine (1950) starring Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr. This version lacks action, stunts, etc., so wasn't my preferred version when growing up. Gave it a shot for Deborah Kerr, and this film surprised me with how good it is. It is simple and takes you on a tour of Africa. There is no rush, and time is spent on showcasing various animals, birds, etc. The cinematography is appealing. I found it to be one of the best adventure films. Glad to have added it to my collection.

Now I have four Deborah Kerr films in my collection : 

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943, usually rated by me as one of the best war films)

Black Narcissus (1947, this one always makes it to my all-time favorite lists) 

King Solomon's Mines (1950, now rated by me as one of the best adventure films)

Quo Vadis (1951, now rated by me as one of my favorite films set in ancient Rome) 

Other films of her that I like but are not in my collection yet: The Prisoner of Zenda (1952, but I like the 1937 version starring Ronald Coleman & Douglas Fairbanks Jr. more), Julius Caesar (1953, need to rewatch this), The King and I (1956), An Affair to Remember (1957, but I probably prefer the original Love Affair), The Innocents (1961), The Night of the Iguana (1964), and so on. 

Blow-Up (1966) ... This is Michelangelo Antonioni's most successful English language film (as many may recall I like his Italian film L'Avventura a lot). I used to appreciate Blow-Up but did not connect much with it as I watched it as a film where a photographer is attempting to solve a murder mystery, however, that does not happen, leading to a vague ending for which Antonioni is known for. Looking at it from a different angle, i.e. that of a photographer's journey rather than a murder mystery makes it a far more appealing film. It is a rare film. It is astonishing how Antonioni manages to grab attention with nothing much to work with. A cult classic!