Cinematography in new Bollywood films

zen

When watching cricket I see ad of various Bollywood films including that of Housefull 4 (Bala Bala ...) where the trailers look to have cinematography like a TV movie. The last Bollywood films that I saw in cinema were Tiger Zinda Hai and Raees. I do not recall much about their cinematography. 

It also appears as if the aspect ratio is adjusted for full screen on TV (1:85), which is good if done properly ... May have to click on one of the films to find out :hmmm:

Edited by zen

15 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

95% of Bollywood is shot on green screens and shitty vfx.. when item numbers by nora fateh and promotions need to Be paid for then why spend on real locations and stunts.

This is so harsh.

@Ankit_sharma03 can corroborate the following:

VFX has taken off in a really big way in India. Red Chillies started it and now there are a dozen or so major VFX companies which do the effects for most Hollywood productions and OTT shows.

GoT's Dragon/ Dragon fire scenes and the last season's effects in its entirety were done by an Indian company.

Two of these companies are so big now that it is rumoured that IPOs are on the cards.

Re: Spending on locales.

2 words. Yash Chopra.

There is a statue of YC at Interlaken!

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

This is so harsh.

VFX has taken off in a really big way in India. Red Chillies started it and now there are a dozen or so major VFX companies which do the effects for most Hollywood productions and OTT shows.

GoT's Dragon/ Dragon fire scenes and the last season's effects in its entirety were done by an Indian company.

Two of these companies are so big now that it is rumoured that IPOs are on the cards.

2 words. Yash Chopra.

there’s a difference between an Indian company getting paid millions of dollars to do vfx for Hollywood and Bollywood paying them pittance in comparison.. you get what you pay for.

i was talking about priorities of budgets.. not the ability of Indian vfx companies 

9 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

there’s a difference between an Indian company getting paid millions of dollars to do vfx for Hollywood and Bollywood paying them pittance in comparison.. you get what you pay for.

i was talking about priorities of budgets.. not the ability of Indian vfx companies 

Not the case at all!

Most of the big production houses have their own in-house VFX companies. And they poach the best talent. Not just from India, but the wider world . And all of this before the corona induced WFH.

Let me give you an example of some movies with amazing VFX ( movies maybe terrible tho :p:)

Bahubali.

Race 3

Ra.One

Fan

Robot ( Some guys from Finland also worked on this)

Padmavat.

As a result of a lot of cross border work, the pay is generally standardized. From what I am made to understand, generally speaking there is no differential pay structure.

Even the Indian OTT market pays a lot.

Edited by Mariyam

4 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Not the case at all!

Most of the big production houses have their own in-house VFX companies. And they poach the best talent. Not just from India, but the wider world . And all of this before the corona induced WFH.

Let me give you an example of some movies with amazing VFX ( movies maybe terrible tho :p:)

Bahubali.

Race 3

Ra.One

Fan

Robot ( Some guys from Finland also worked on this)

Padmavat.

As a result of a lot of cross border work, the pay is generally standardized. From what I am made to understand, generally speaking there is no differential pay structure.

Even the Indian OTT market pays a lot.

They may be 'amazing' for the Indian market but definitely no comparison with Hollywood vfx.

My point is a lot of action sequels in Hollywood is REAL stunts, vehicles, explosions etc. Whereas 99% of sequences in Bollywood is CGI. Border one of my fav films came out in 1997, the war sequences, tanks, explosions, fighter jets were ALL real. Are you telling me 25 years on, with bigger budgets, real sequences cant continue? This is production houses trying to go cheap and reallocate funds for different purposes

16 hours ago, zen said:

When watching cricket I see ad of various Bollywood films including that of Housefull 4 (Bala Bala ...) where the trailers look to have cinematography like a TV movie. The last Bollywood films that I saw in cinema were Tiger Zinda Hai and Raees. I do not recall much about their cinematography. 

It also appears as if the aspect ratio is adjusted for full screen on TV (1:85), which is good if done properly ... May have to click on one of the films to find out :hmmm:

I like the general camera work in this number.

10 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I like the general camera work in this number.

Among older films, I like cinematography in films like Pakeezah which was mostly done by Josef Wirsching for e.g. …  Here I am focused on the newer films

Edited by zen

49 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This is so harsh.

2 words. Yash Chopra.

16 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

95% of Bollywood is shot on green screen

not true - 95% is absolute nonsense

green screen depends film to film n circumstances as well 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

35 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

hollywood films have a wider market then bollywood specially china, which is why off lately bollywood is trying to open that market

2nd we waste a huge chunk of money on stars and their vanity cutting budget on every other aspect 

16 hours ago, zen said:

ur observation isnt entirely wrong

its a comman thing with most bollywood films- flat lighting or at best they use back light which is taught to freshers in film school . But their are their are some terrific work also going on - follow work of santosh sivan, Ravi k chandran , pankaj kumar, ravi verman and im sure im missing many 

55 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This is so harsh.

2 words. Yash Chopra.

yeaa most hollywood shows n films VFX happens here only, My bro works in double negative and he worked on recent fast n furious. He told me another diff that comes with hollywood budget is the number of VFX artist they hire. 

A hollywood film will hire again 5-10 times more number of VFX artist then bollywood film and they ll have right amount of work load as compare to a bollywood film where they ll be overloaded and then time pressure coz big stars decide diwali or eid release. All this in the end make the product suffer. 

South films in that regd have more patience- recent example like baahubali n 2.0 were not released till they were happy with product but here if release date of a festival is important. 

13 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

budget diff is 5-10 times 

Yes because they want the film to be focused only on the Indian market

so spending 60-100 crores is enough for them... if Bollywood wants to expand its market globally it has to start making films in the budget of 400/500 crores ( and this is just around $50 million- low budget for hollywood standards

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yeaa most hollywood shows n films VFX happens here only, My bro works in double negative and he worked on recent fast n furious. He told me another diff that comes with hollywood budget is the number of VFX artist they hire. 

A hollywood film will hire again 5-10 times more number of VFX artist then bollywood film and they ll have right amount of work load as compare to a bollywood film where they ll be overloaded and then time pressure coz big stars decide diwali or eid release. All this in the end make the product suffer. 

South films in that regd have more patience- recent example like baahubali n 2.0 were not released till they were happy with product but here if release date of a festival is important. 

Again importance of quantity over quality.

6 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Yes because they want the film to be focused only on the Indian market

na they dnt want is not , they dnt have market to think of targetting 

6 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

so spending 60-100 crores is enough for them... if Bollywood wants to expand its market globally it has to start making films in the budget of 400/500 crores ( and this is just around $50 million- low budget for hollywood standards

it ll happen slowly, china is slowly opening up

till then its foolish to spend that much coz u wnt be able to recover it