zen

Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time 2022 list

The countdown has begun for the Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time 2022 list. For those who are unaware, once a decade, Sight & Sound conducts a poll where critics & filmmaker participate to vote on the greatest films. Last list was issued in 2012 -> Link, the next one is expected to come out in Sept to Nov period in 2022. 

The critics' poll was started in 1952, while the directors' poll in 1992. Below are the #1 films: 

Critics' Poll 

1952: Bicycle Thieves

1962: Citizen Kane 

1972: Citizen Kane

1982: Citizen Kane

1992: Citizen Kane

2002: Citizen Kane

2012: Vertigo 

Directors' Poll 

2012: Tokyo Story 

What surprises do you expect in the 2022 poll? ... Will a foreign language film top the poll for the first time since Bicycle Thieves in 1952? ... Which film is the favorite to the top the list (For e.g. 2001:A Space Odyssey has steadily climbed over the years if I am not wrong)? ... Lastly, If you were to recommend 10 Greatest films to Sight & Sound, what would they be (limit it to 10 to avoid making a laundry list)? 

1 hour ago, zen said:

The countdown has begun for the Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time 2022 list. For those who are unaware, once a decade, Sight & Sound conducts a poll where critics & filmmaker participate to vote on the greatest films. Last list was issued in 2012 -> Link, the next one is expected to come out in Sept to Nov period in 2022. 

The critics' poll was started in 1952, while the directors' poll in 1992. Below are the #1 films: 

Critics' Poll 

1952: Bicycle Thieves

1962: Citizen Kane 

1972: Citizen Kane

1982: Citizen Kane

2012: Vertigo 

Directors' Poll 

2012: Tokyo Story 

What surprises do you expect in the 2022 poll? ... Will a foreign language film top the poll for the first time since Bicycle Thieves in 1952? ... Which film is the favorite to the top the list (For e.g. 2001:A Space Odyssey has steadily climbed over the years if I am not wrong)? ... Lastly, If you were to recommend 10 Greatest films to Sight & Sound, what would they be (limit it to 10 to avoid making a laundry list)? 

from what I recall, tokyo story has been climbing the ranks steadily. however, I expect vertigo or kane will still win. too many eng-language critics and bias.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vijy said:

from what I recall, tokyo story has been climbing the ranks steadily. however, I expect vertigo or kane will still win. too many eng-language critics and bias.

Usually, films in the top 10 of the previous list have the best chance of topping the list. Bicycle Thieves (because of the inaugural edition so all films would be 1st) & Citizen Kane (1962) are the two exceptions. As for foreign language films, Rules of the Game & Tokyo Story have remained in the top 5 in the last 3 polls. Rules of the Game has been in the top 10 since time immemorial. 

Edited by zen