Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time 2022 list

zen

The countdown has begun for the Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time 2022 list. For those who are unaware, once a decade, Sight & Sound conducts a poll where critics & filmmaker participate to vote on the greatest films. Last list was issued in 2012 -> Link, the next one is expected to come out in Sept to Nov period in 2022. 

The critics' poll was started in 1952, while the directors' poll in 1992. Below are the #1 films: 

Critics' Poll 

1952: Bicycle Thieves

1962: Citizen Kane 

1972: Citizen Kane

1982: Citizen Kane

1992: Citizen Kane

2002: Citizen Kane

2012: Vertigo 

2022: Jeanne Dielman 

Directors' Poll 

2012: Tokyo Story 

2022: 2001: A Space Odyssey 

What surprises do you expect in the 2022 poll? ... Will a foreign language film top the poll for the first time since Bicycle Thieves in 1952? ... Which film is the favorite to the top the list (For e.g. 2001:A Space Odyssey has steadily climbed over the years if I am not wrong)? ... Lastly, If you were to recommend 10 Greatest films to Sight & Sound, what would they be (limit it to 10 to avoid making a laundry list)? 

PS 

2022 Sight & Sound Greatest Films (Critics)

2022 Sight & Sound Greatest Films (Directors)

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

The countdown has begun for the Sight & Sound Greatest Films of All Time 2022 list. For those who are unaware, once a decade, Sight & Sound conducts a poll where critics & filmmaker participate to vote on the greatest films. Last list was issued in 2012 -> Link, the next one is expected to come out in Sept to Nov period in 2022. 

The critics' poll was started in 1952, while the directors' poll in 1992. Below are the #1 films: 

Critics' Poll 

1952: Bicycle Thieves

1962: Citizen Kane 

1972: Citizen Kane

1982: Citizen Kane

2012: Vertigo 

Directors' Poll 

2012: Tokyo Story 

What surprises do you expect in the 2022 poll? ... Will a foreign language film top the poll for the first time since Bicycle Thieves in 1952? ... Which film is the favorite to the top the list (For e.g. 2001:A Space Odyssey has steadily climbed over the years if I am not wrong)? ... Lastly, If you were to recommend 10 Greatest films to Sight & Sound, what would they be (limit it to 10 to avoid making a laundry list)? 

from what I recall, tokyo story has been climbing the ranks steadily. however, I expect vertigo or kane will still win. too many eng-language critics and bias.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

from what I recall, tokyo story has been climbing the ranks steadily. however, I expect vertigo or kane will still win. too many eng-language critics and bias.

Usually, films in the top 10 of the previous list have the best chance of topping the list. Bicycle Thieves (because of the inaugural edition so all films would be 1st) & Citizen Kane (1962) are the two exceptions. As for foreign language films, Rules of the Game & Tokyo Story have remained in the top 5 in the last 3 polls. Rules of the Game has been in the top 10 since time immemorial. 

Edited by zen

The list is expected to come out tomorrow (Dec 01) ... However, there is a discussion of someone leaking a partial list (will know tomorrow if it is accurate or a hoax). Below is the "said" list, which has a couple of films from the last 10 years, which is not usual:

S&S top 100 films of all time list 2022 75 -100:

66 Touki Bouki
67 The Red Shoes
67=The Gleaners and I
67=Andrei Rublev
67= La Jetee
67=Metropolis
72 Journey to Italy
72=L'Avventura
72=My Neighbour Totoro
75 Spirited Away
75= Sansho the Bailiff
75=Imitation of Life
78 Modern Times
78 =A Matter of Life and Death
78= A Brighter Summer Day
78=Sunset Boulevard
78=Satantango
78=Celine and Julie Go Boating
84=Spirit of the Beehive
84=Blue Velvet
84=Histoire(s) du Cinema
84=Pierrot le Fou
88The Shining
88=Chungking Express
90Yi Yi
90=The Leopard
90= Parasite
90=Madame de
90=Ugestu Monogatari
95 The General
95= Get Out
95=Tropical Malady
95=Black Girl
95=Once Upon a Time in the West
95=A Man Escaped

38 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Get Out. Really ! Diversity quota ?

The list would be out tomorrow (this one could be a leak or a hoax). However, the number of voters this time is 2x 2012's ... Many old critics, who would lean towards older films, would have retired so this poll can be a signal of the beginning of a shift in a new direction. 

Edited by zen

Modern times (assuming the Charlie Chaplin one), Parasite, Getout and Shining only movies I watched from the above list posted by zen.

parasite was crap, Modern Times still holds value even though commie crap but Chaplin makes it work, get out was amazing and shining saw it much later so while very good movie I can see why it worked back then but since then a lot more shocking horror has kind of watered it down. It’s kind of like watching omen now. First time I watched it as a kid, sacred the crap out of me for 2-3 days.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:05 AM, ravishingravi said:

In my opinion, 2001 A Space odyssey is greatest movie ever made. Pushed the medium beyond any film I can think of.  And this i say as life long fan of Welles. 

I wonder how much of impact everyone calling a movie  a masterpiece has a judgement on our own tastes.

I am sure if you are a professional in that space there is a different threshold but as an average viewer wondered about many such masterpiece movies. Not watched space odyssey though. 

Just now, maniac said:

Lot of Hollywood folk swear by Citizen Kane. Never got around to see it. Is it really that great?

From a film making perspective, yes ... As for its entertainment value, it would depend on the taste of individuals as it is not a Mission Impossible or an Indiana Jones that almost anyone can enjoy anytime. 

I had done a structured review on the film on this thread - Link

Film: Citizen Kane (1941)
Director: Orson Welles
Oscars: 1

The dying words of a tycoon are "Rosebud". What could it mean?

• Story/Screenplay: The story moves forward non-linearly through interviews and flashbacks. Using different sources and perspectives, a picture or a puzzle of the life of the protagonist is presented. In one segment, the aging of characters and the growing differences b/w them are highlighted over a series of interactions. (10/10)
  • Acting: Orson Welles gives a strong performance, moving through various stages of the life of the character convincingly. The supporting cast consisting of Joseph Cotten plays its parts well. Many of the actors made their debut in this film. (9/10)
  • Cinematography: An effort is made to make almost every frame stand out. The use of lighting, frames within frames technique, deep focus, how actors move on screen (composition), etc., create a powerful visual impact. Much has been written about the film's cinematography. B&W films shot well are a treat to watch. (10/10)
  • Background score: The score does its job well when experiencing the film. Bernard Herrmann in his debut film is said to be given enough freedom to create different musical pieces for different segments of the film (in a period where a generic score for a film was acceptable too). (8/10)
  • Direction: How the package is put together including pushing the actors to give their best and taking creative decisions has made the film stand the test of time. (10/10)
  • Uniqueness/Impact: Frequently cited as among the greatest films of all time. It has been an influence on the film noir genre as well. (10/10)

Overall score: 57/60 = 95% = 9.5/10 (Great 9-10, Good 7-8, Average 5-6, Bad 3-4, Worst 1-2)

Talking about 21st century films, below are some of the films from the top of the mind recall that I would not mind in the top 10-20, in the order of release:

In the Mood for Love (2000) - a unique love story (at #24 on 2012's list) 

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) - a crime drama (was too "new" for the 2012's list)

Joker (2019) - looking at it more as a serial killer (crime) film (if a relatively latest film makes it)

Edited by zen

On 6/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, zen said:

Lastly, If you were to recommend 10 Greatest films to Sight & Sound, what would they be (limit it to 10 to avoid making a laundry list)? 

To answer my question on the 10 films, below is a list from the perspective of film-making (1950 onwards and 1 film per director): 

Joker (2019, Philips)

Persona (1966, Bergman) 

Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock)

In the Mood for Love (2000, Wong Kar-wai)

Godfather I & 11 (1972-74, Coppola) 

The Secret in Their Eyes (2009, Campanella) 

Seven Samurai (1954, Kurosawa)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962, Lean) 

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Kubrick) 

Singin’ in the Rain (1952, Donen-Kelly)

* They are all good so anyone of the above can be #1. Here I have gone w/ Joker as it has incorporated various learnings/best practices to be seen as a modern masterpiece. 

Edited by zen

I respect Jeanne Dielman topping the critics poll. However, it is an experimental film which requires one to be in a special mood and patient to watch it. Most will probably not like (or even attempt to watch) the film (maybe it is unlikely to generate as much positive buzz as what Vertigo did in the last poll). 

On the other hand, good to see Vertigo (#2, rumors on a new #1 were correct) and Tokyo Story (#4) still in the top 10. Happy to see In the Mood for Love and Singin' in the Rain enter the top 10, along w/ Mulholland Dr.  2001 remains in the top 10 but was a big favorite to top the poll if Vertigo didn't (However, did top the Directors‘)

Edited by zen