Dinesh Karthik when will the Torture end?

Lone Wolf

33 minutes ago, lemsip said:

Those are t20i stats where his position has always been floating and uncertain and he usually ends up facing a small number of balls  behind statpadders. In ipl he has played 98 matches and averages 34.6 which is pretty good. He hasn't averaged below 30 in a single season he has played. For reference Rohit averages just 29 in ipl despite opening. T20 is not Pant's strongest format but he can certainly be used much more effectively than he has been. 

For the upcoming WT20, our top 5 is already sealed.      Rohit, Jaiswal, Kohli SKY, Pandya/Dube & Rinku.     If Pant gets to play, he is unlikely to bat in the top 4.   Mostly he would be batting as a finisher (ie 6th or 7th spot).  That's where I believe he has not been at his best in this format.    Anyway, time will tell how it all unfolds (as the IPL progresses). 

3 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Mostly he would be batting as a finisher (ie 6th or 7th spot).  That's where I believe he has not been at his best in this format

Agreed. regardless of where Pant bats, I think having Kohli and Rohit in the top 4 is likely to produce the same results it always has in international tournaments. Unless Kohli navigates a chase from start to finish, most of the time the batting will put up mediocre totals with half the resources left unused.

One of the biggest underachievers in Indian cricket, because of his mental midgetry. 

Remember this is the same guy who played a huge part in winning the series in England in 2007. Opened the batting and was top scorer of the series for our side which had other big names like SRT, Dravid, VVS, Ganguly, Dhoni. Overall only KP batted better than him in that series IIRC. 

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

One of the biggest underachievers in Indian cricket, because of his mental midgetry. 

Remember this is the same guy who played a huge part in winning the series in England in 2007. Opened the batting and was top scorer of the series for our side which had other big names like SRT, Dravid, VVS, Ganguly, Dhoni. Overall only KP batted better than him in that series IIRC. 

I completely agree, he had all the talent to be a great player but between the ears he had lot of issues.

There were no expecations on him in that series in 2007 and it went unnoticed that is why he could do well. 

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

He has concentration levels of a child. I remember recording a challenger Trophy match where DK was a senior. Rohit was slightly a junior. DK made 86 in 50 balls or something. He played all those diliscoops all kind of shots even back then. I think he scooped Ganguly for six right behind keeper. Not like he can't play big innings. He has 28 first class 100s, 12 List A 100s. He just didn't achieve consistency and didn't prove to be reliable. To his credit he runs faster than some of the youngsters at this age,.

25 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I completely agree, he had all the talent to be a great player but between the ears he had lot of issues.

Recurring theme for many TN cricketers. 

On 3/26/2024 at 9:16 AM, Gollum said:

Recurring theme for many TN cricketers. 

many S. Indian cricketers actually. lots of lazy Hyd players since the 60s. only Kar has bucked the trend somewhat