England hoping to ‘unretire’ Stokes in time for 50-over World Cup

javier26

MELBOURNE (Reuters) – England are hoping Ben Stokes might reconsider his retirement from one-day internationals and help the team defend their 50-over World Cup title next year.

The talismanic all-rounder, who batted England to victory in the T20 World Cup final against Pakistan on Sunday, retired from one-day cricket in July, citing the “unsustainable” rigour of playing all formats.

England coach Matthew Mott said test captain Stokes would be welcomed back to the ODI squad with open arms.

When he spoke to me about his ODI retirement one of the first things I said was that I’d back any decision he made, but I said to him he didn’t necessarily have to retire, he could just not play 50-overs for a while,” Mott told British media.

“And I said: ‘You could always unretire.’

“That’s his decision. It’s going to be a World Cup year and we don’t play much T20 cricket for a while, but it will be up to him. The more we can get him is great.”

https://theprint.in/sport/cricket-england-hoping-to-unretire-stokes-in-time-for-50-over-world-cup/1216827/

Considering the form that he is and with World Cup less than 12 months away, won't be a bad move to get him back into the Odi Side for the Final Hurrah !!!

Edited by javier26

He won't come back. They have enough spinning AR whom they can play in India..

I doubt even current regular will be there or not. Moeen is already 35, Rashid 34. England players are known for surprise retirement. One off series and they are known to make a way for better player unlike our mofos. So very early to speak about Ben Stokes. Ideally he should make a come back.. Just 31, how can he retire from ODIs..

10 hours ago, javier26 said:

England coach Matthew Mott

So, I looked up this guy.  No international experience.  How do the English international cricketers listen to anything he says?  I ask because every time we talk about guys like Mhambrey and Rathour, or selectors who were mediocre cricketers, we say they did nothing or very little at the international level, hence they are bad coaches or selectors. 

Fact is - they are bad coaches or selectors, but it is not because they were not international-class players.  It is because they cannot coach or evaluate players.  You don't really need a former star-player  to do that.

2 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

He won't come back. They have enough spinning AR whom they can play in India..

I doubt even current regular will be there or not. Moeen is already 35, Rashid 34. England players are known for surprise retirement. One off series and they are known to make a way for better player unlike our mofos. So very early to speak about Ben Stokes. Ideally he should make a come back.. Just 31, how can he retire from ODIs..

His game is better suited for ODIs than T20s as well. 

2 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

So, I looked up this guy.  No international experience.  How do the English international cricketers listen to anything he says?  I ask because every time we talk about guys like Mhambrey and Rathour, or selectors who were mediocre cricketers, we say they did nothing or very little at the international level, hence they are bad coaches or selectors. 

Fact is - they are bad coaches or selectors, but it is not because they were not international-class players.  It is because they cannot coach or evaluate players.  You don't really need a former star-player  to do that.

And yet a few days ago I saw a post here Indian selectors must have played X Test matches Y ODI. Z T20 .

You are incorrect He does have a lot of international experience , head coach of the Australian women's team . Today's modern cricket head coach has a huge back up  team doing various jobs and it's his job to manage that team , be a motivator, set strategy, be big on communication in tandem with the captain not standing there saying you must play with your elbow up because I got 100 caps and scored a century once at Eden gardens . 

India must start employing " best in class" not this oh it's his turn 

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

And yet a few days ago I saw a post here Indian selectors must have played X Test matches Y ODI. Z T20 .

This is exactly my point and complaint.  Quality of playing career does not necessarily translate to quality of coaching ability.

When I said Mott lacked international experience, I meant playing experience, which again, does not translate into coaching ability.