Women Premier League Discussion thread - Mar 04-26, 2023 (Live on Sports 18 & Jio Cinema)

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Yastika always could protect her wicket. She lacked t he power game or the big hitting game if needed. She can improve a lot though. Mandhana has to tighten her technique a bit.

Having Edwards as coach will have given her food for thought because in England from international team down the message is be positive and back yourself , I could see her doing more of that . There is certainly a lot to work with that's why I said the right coaches . Mandhana has to go away and look at her game , he problem is playing back where she just moves he Blackfoot to leg stump keeps her front foot planted , leans back hoping to cut it every time , she get off with it most times with seamers but with spinners she is all at see and no clue what **** to play . Too much hype and money isn't helping her 

10 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Having Edwards as coach will have given her food for thought because in England from international team down the message is be positive and back yourself , I could see her doing more of that . There is certainly a lot to work with that's why I said the right coaches . Mandhana has to go away and look at her game , he problem is playing back where she just moves he Blackfoot to leg stump keeps her front foot planted , leans back hoping to cut it every time , she get off with it most times with seamers but with spinners she is all at see and no clue what **** to play . Too much hype and money isn't helping her 

Mandhana's sweep is not convincing like Kaur's. She has a gift of timing. Don't want her to end up as a choker. Not sure if we have enough evidence. She seems to have touch of stage fright. Otherwise a brilliant player.

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Mandhana's sweep is not convincing like Kaur's. She has a gift of timing. Don't want her to end up as a choker. Not sure if we have enough evidence. She seems to have touch of stage fright. Otherwise a brilliant player.

I watched her last year 5 times live against England and commonwealth games and in the hundred for Southern Brave   and each she looked great but now I think about it she wasn't tested by off spin . I agree with you about stage fright,  the biggest bid has not helped her at all nor has the captaincy , that should have been Devine or Knight both international captains , far too much pressure on her in first wpl . Just needs to go away and work on her technique deficiencies because everyone will be gunning for her now . 

Mandhana has these shots:

- pull/short arm pull - lack of power in the short arm pull sometimes means she gets caught at square or deep mid wicket.

- lofted shots mid wicket, long on, long off

- off drive/cover drive

- occasional cut

For the lofted shots, she uses arms leverage, ie full flow of her swing to get distance, not wrists and forearms.

Missing

- flick

- on drive

- square cut

- sweep

These require wrist and forearm strength. Sweeps abd Square cuts also needs strong base (legs). Unless she works on strength and conditioning she can’t develop her game. And the mental side is the whole another matter. 

I hope she is not the defacto captain once HK decides to retire. I don’t see a good pipeline of players. 

Edited by devla
2 hours ago, devla said:

Btw, what GG idiot thought Sneh Rana could backfill for Beth Mooney. 

You pay big bucks to Ash Gardner, star player, give her the responsibility. 

2 hours ago, devla said:

Btw, what GG idiot thought Sneh Rana could backfill for Beth Mooney. 

You pay big bucks to Ash Gardner, star player, give her the responsibility. 

With crazy team selections , batting line ups ,  Rana as captain  I feel it was Mitali Raj who was pulling the strings at GG not Coach Rachel Haynes . Haynes was a captain in WBBL and that wasn't how she operated infact it's not a way any Australian works . 

2 hours ago, devla said:

Mandhana has these shots:

- pull/short arm pull - lack of power in the short arm pull sometimes means she gets caught at square or deep mid wicket.

- lofted shots mid wicket, long on, long off

- off drive/cover drive

- occasional cut

For the lofted shots, she uses arms leverage, ie full flow of her swing to get distance, not wrists and forearms.

Missing

- flick

- on drive

- square cut

- sweep

These require wrist and forearm strength. Sweeps abd Square cuts also needs strong base (legs). Unless she works on strength and conditioning she can’t develop her game. And the mental side is the whole another matter. 

I hope she is not the defacto captain once HK decides to retire. I don’t see a good pipeline of players. 

That pull/ short arm jab is her downfall because that's her go to shot to spinners and she isn't reading out of the hand but off the pitch . 

Have you seen the forearm and biceps on the Aussies and English women ? My mate is coach for English women's  regional side The Sunrisers and I know what gym work the English girls are doing and I don't think she is doing anything like they do . 

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

With crazy team selections , batting line ups ,  Rana as captain  I feel it was Mitali Raj who was pulling the strings at GG not Coach Rachel Haynes . Haynes was a captain in WBBL and that wasn't how she operated infact it's not a way any Australian works . 

I bet RH would’ve ended up being better than Rana.

9 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

That pull/ short arm jab is her downfall because that's her go to shot to spinners and she isn't reading out of the hand but off the pitch . 

Have you seen the forearm and biceps on the Aussies and English women ? My mate is coach for English women's  regional side The Sunrisers and I know what gym work the English girls are doing and I don't think she is doing anything like they do . 

Mandhana is more a touch player with natural timing than a power player, maybe there are other things she can do without trying to copy what women whose game itself is very different to hers are trying to do. It would be like asking why Rohit Sharma doesn't bat like Andre Russell.

3 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

Mandhana is more a touch player with natural timing than a power player, maybe there are other things she can do without trying to copy what women whose game itself is very different to hers are trying to do. It would be like asking why Rohit Sharma doesn't bat like Andre Russell.

There are lots of touch players in the women's game who have developed strength in their arms and legs , Meg Lanning and Harmanpreet Kaur are just two examples .  She is a professional earning good money batting in the very important position in the power play where women are playing more T20 than 50 over and she has a duty to herself to improve , technique and strength are two of the ways OR she will quickly get over taken by those who do and imo Yastrika will be a better bat to open for India in T20 in 12 months time . Wether you, me or Mandhana likes it or not  even in women's cricket power hitters are being developed for power plays 

3 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

I will give you two other players as evidence , Elyesse Perry and Laura Wolvaart . Two of the very best classical ODI batters in the world but both were forced to go away and develope their T20 game . It wasn't good enough for Australia and South Africa that they would play fantastic drive after drive straight to fielders , play defensive shots and have a strike rate less than a hundred , 

2 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

There are lots of touch players in the women's game who have developed strength in their arms and legs , Meg Lanning and Harmanpreet Kaur are just two examples .  She is a professional earning good money batting in the very important position in the power play where women are playing more T20 than 50 over and she has a duty to herself to improve , technique and strength are two of the ways OR she will quickly get over taken by those who do and imo Yastrika will be a better bat to open for India in T20 in 12 months time . Wether you, me or Mandhana likes it or not  even in women's cricket power hitters are being developed for power plays 

I don't disagree with your point actually, just wondering aloud whether this might affect the rest of her game detrimentally. Your eg of Wolvaardt is infact a good one since she herself is not a power player but does score quickly having a technique that is very distinctly S african.

Edited by rollingstoned
17 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

I don't disagree with your point actually, just wondering aloud whether this might affect the rest of her game detrimentally. Your eg of Wolvaardt is infact a good one since she herself is not a power player but does score quickly having a technique that is very distinctly S african.

She will always get money because home grown women in franchise leagues are at a premium I just hope she can evolve as the game does which at the moment is evolving rapidly and I look forward to watching her again this year in the hundred hopefully a little bit fitter, stronger and worked out to  off spinners you need to go back and across to play off back foot not moving back foot to leg stump when wanting to play those little pulls 

20 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

There is no such thing as touch player anymore, not in tennis (ala Ramesh Krishnan), definitely not in Cricket). You don’t have to be a power hitter like Grace Harris but if she can’t have strength and conditioning to allow power behind your shots, she will always remain the one with a lot of potential. 

Lanning isn’t a power hitter yet I’m sure she can beat Mandhana on every fitness category!!!