silicon valley bank Shut down in USA : 213,000000000000 lost

Nidhibic

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

That helps. But the management sold their shares in the company a month back they declared the news. Was this also a mistake ?

Once again your feeble attempt to equate something legal to the crap done by Adani is classis deflection. Since adani is one of yours he can do no wrong.

Back to SVB. Insider trading is prohibited so even if he sold it before the event he had to tell them in advance that he was selling it. There is no getting around that rule. SEC regulations are tough and there is no playing around.

Difference between a crook and deregulatory mistakes.

6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

He/She being Trans has got nothing to do with it.

That's been my whole point in this thread.  American MAGA cons have concluded that SVB and Credit Suisse failed because of "trans-wokeness," and the evidence they have for this is flimsy. 

6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

On a digression, how is this accepted by feminists? A man can be a woman for 180 days and compete and win gold medals in Olympics in women’s events, just by saying that you feel like being a woman today.

This is something I have not wrapped my mind around totally.  Objective measures of gender are still elusive.  At the same time, there is also no denying that many secondary sexual characteristics are a continuum, and may also be decoupled from the "corresponding" sex-specific organs. So, for instance, someone with male sex organs may not present with what we classically call male behaviors. Thus they feel female in other aspects of their physiology. Biology is complex.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

Here's another take on what caused the SVB collapse:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/did-esg-help-sink-svb-progressive-climate-bank-bailout-federal-reserve-treasury-biden-insurance-9db64b0b?mod=opinion_featst_pos2

It claims to have banked nearly half of all U.S. venture-backed tech and healthcare startups. Yet in recent years those clients have skewed ever more in one direction. “We serve those creating positive environmental change,” SVB’s website brags, noting that the bank worked with some 1,550 companies in the “climate technology and sustainability sector.”

Most of these companies weren’t filling some vital market need. Rather, as the Journal reported, SVB was beloved for its willingness to offer “banking services to startups that often weren’t profitable, in some cases didn’t have a product, and would otherwise have a hard time getting a line of credit or a loan from a larger bank.” One tech entrepreneur provided law.com a more scathing description of SVB’s products: “They’re basically subprime business loans. You’re talking about companies that have no credit profile, they’re burning cash and are unlikely to raise the same type of capital because of interest rates. . . . It was basically social credit.”

What inspires a bank to disregard risk and shower money on products or services that nobody is clamoring to buy? One answer is easy money and misguided regulation, which washed dollars into the economy even as it pushed banks like SVB to load up on sovereign debt, lulled by a Federal Reserve-fed belief that interest rates would stay near zero forever. The other? Washington handouts, via President Biden’s effort to engineer a climate industry that otherwise wouldn’t exist.

While the main reason SVB failed was its decision to buy bonds at the top of the market (it got hit when it had to sell), it had also in the past few years further stretched itself by sizably increasing its loans and lines of credit to subprime firms. How much of that would have happened if not for the Biden pot of gold at the end of the green-tech rainbow? A Washington Post story acknowledged that SVB’s weekend collapse initially meant that “many major clean tech companies faced insolvency.” It even accidentally admitted Washington’s role when it noted that many investors were nonetheless hopeful “the infusion of hundreds of billions of dollars in public money” from Washington legislation would “blunt the fallout from the bank collapse.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@coffee_rules , the bold-faced parts may answer your question on how Trump de-regulation and Biden green-ideology may have come together in a perfect storm to trigger the downfall.  But, articles like this one would be so much more informative if they put actual numbers to make their points - how much was invested in/lent to these climate unicorns? 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

On 3/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Here's another take on what caused the SVB collapse:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/did-esg-help-sink-svb-progressive-climate-bank-bailout-federal-reserve-treasury-biden-insurance-9db64b0b?mod=opinion_featst_pos2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@coffee_rules , the bold-faced parts may answer your question on how Trump de-regulation and Biden green-ideology may have come together in a perfect storm to trigger the downfall.  But, articles like this one would be so much more informative if they put actual numbers to make their points - how much was invested in/lent to these climate unicorns? 

Just trolling you with this meme from Elon. I know how it all cascades , but we all like scapegoats 

On 3/18/2023 at 2:31 PM, Khota said:

Once again your feeble attempt to equate something legal to the crap done by Adani is classis deflection. Since adani is one of yours he can do no wrong.

Back to SVB. Insider trading is prohibited so even if he sold it before the event he had to tell them in advance that he was selling it. There is no getting around that rule. SEC regulations are tough and there is no playing around.

Difference between a crook and deregulatory mistakes.

Wait what. I didn't mention anything on Adani yet. I first want to get your position on SVB right. So, your position is that they didn't realize that interest rates could go up at some point. Lets accept it for now assuming that smartest risk management professionals didn't know what an average trader in stock market knows.. Then once the interest rates started going up the management started selling its shares. And you say this was also a mistake. I guess it was just a mistake that they were selling shares while Balance sheet was getting weaker. SEC is not asking them to return this money. Share a link and let us know what SEC is doing about the sold shares. 

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Wait what. I didn't mention anything on Adani yet. I first want to get your position on SVB right. So, your position is that they didn't realize that interest rates could go up at some point. Lets accept it for now assuming that smartest risk management professionals didn't know what an average trader in stock market knows.. Then once the interest rates started going up the management started selling its shares. And you say this was also a mistake. I guess it was just a mistake that they were selling shares while Balance sheet was getting weaker. SEC is not asking them to return this money. Share a link and let us know what SEC is doing about the sold shares. 

Just because you don't use the word Adani does not mean your posts don't have Adani written all over them.

Like I said you cannot sell shares without advanced notification. 

SEC to its credibility is looking into what transpired. They will reconstruct and punish. Take that to the bank.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:01 PM, Khota said:

Just because you don't use the word Adani does not mean your posts don't have Adani written all over them.

Like I said you cannot sell shares without advanced notification. 

SEC to its credibility is looking into what transpired. They will reconstruct and punish. Take that to the bank.

You really dont check, do you ? They have already sold the shares. Just saying SEC in each sentence wouldn't add meaning. So, is this a mistake

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/svb-execs-sold-millions-company-stock-lead-collapse/story?id=97937058

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-10/svb-chief-sold-3-6-million-in-stock-days-before-bank-s-failure

Edited by ravishingravi

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

You really dont check, do you ? They have already sold the shares. Just saying SEC in each sentence wouldn't add meaning. So, is this a mistake

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/svb-execs-sold-millions-company-stock-lead-collapse/story?id=97937058

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-10/svb-chief-sold-3-6-million-in-stock-days-before-bank-s-failure

You want to type what you feel like. The sale was disclosed in advance. It was a small sale. SEC is still looking into it.

No one has claimed that it is a attack on the country like Adani did.