IPL Money

deepdynamo

Is the hefty IPL money corrupting Indian cricketers ?

I am all for handsome pay for deserving players but there seem to be case of easy money for many players to an extent that they are only looking at their IPL career and not enough motivated to upgrade their skills.

Moreover with 10 teams, many of these mediocre crickters are not in danger of losing their place in their franchise. Its like solid govt. Job without performance.

What the players make (or what the franchises want to pay them) is their personal business at the end of the day. Even how they want to approach their career (including mainly only playing IPL) is up to them.

BCCI has a large pool of players to pick from. It has the option to increase players salaries (if the assumption is that all players play mainly for money) as well. 

42 minutes ago, zen said:

What the players make (or what the franchises want to pay them) is their personal business at the end of the day. Even how they want to approach their career (including mainly only playing IPL) is up to them.

BCCI has a large pool of players to pick from. It has the option to increase players salaries (if the assumption is that all players play mainly for money) as well. 

That is fair in the real world but money corrupts internally and most of these Avesh, Harshal, Chahar etc.are getting easy big money without , I dare say, the talent.

Worriyngly all of these players got in the Indian team, failed and still be back with their medicority in IPL blocking path of other players.

IPL is a golden goose for medicore players making a grand living. I sincerely believe that many of the sub standard crickters have made peace that they can con the IPL and find no reason to work that extra bit harder to upgarde to next level. No problem with that since not every one is international standard but problem is brainless selectors or franchise who keeps on persisting with these failures again and again.

If for example Avesh or Harshal get drop for next matches because of their bad performance then its fine because they are held accountble. But it seems like that there is no accountability even at franchise level.

7 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

That is fair in the real world but money corrupts internally and most of these Avesh, Harshal, Chahar etc.are getting easy big money without , I dare say, the talent.

Worriyngly all of these players got in the Indian team, failed and still be back with their medicority in IPL blocking path of other players.

IPL is a golden goose for medicore players making a grand living. I sincerely believe that many of the sub standard crickters have made peace that they can con the IPL and find no reason to work that extra bit harder to upgarde to next level. No problem with that since not every one is international standard but problem is brainless selectors or franchise who keeps on persisting with these failures again and again.

If for example Avesh or Harshal get drop for next matches because of their bad performance then its fine because they are held accountble. But it seems like that there is no accountability even at franchise level.

I am not sure if that is how it works. Avesh for example is chosen by a franchise because he is better than the other options at that point in auction. Next best option could be la Sandeep Sharma, who is mainly useful with the new ball. Avesh auction price is determined by what other teams bid for him based on remaining players in the auction pool (or a team may have to settle for a Sandeep Sharma).

IPL is not necessarily related to Indian team (apart from good performances being rewarded which happens to international players as well who can make a comeback to their team based on IPL performances. Good international performances can help in being picked in IPL as well). IPL is a tournament in its own space. 

Tournaments like IPL help more talented cricketers to pursue cricket as a career. 

10 minutes ago, zen said:

I am not sure if that is how it works. Avesh for example is chosen by a franchise because he is better than the other options at that point in auction. Next best option could be la Sandeep Sharma, who is mainly useful with the new ball. Avesh auction price is determined by what other teams bid for him based on remaining players in the auction pool (or a team may have to settle for a Sandeep Sharma).

IPL is not necessarily related to Indian team (apart from good performances being rewarded which happens to international players as well who can make a comeback to their team based on IPL performances. Good international performances can help in being picked in IPL as well). IPL is a tournament in its own space. 

Tournaments like IPL help more talented cricketers to pursue cricket as a career. 

TBH, I am starting to doubt that thought process.
Players like Sushant, Tyagi are not getting chances to play for their franchise, despite of the fact that some of our frontline pacers are injured (Bumrah, Prasidh).
To fill that vaccum, likes of Avesh, Sakariya, Khaleel, Unadkut, Sandeep, Harshal are getting multiple opportunities...no IPL scouting is interested in ready to look beyond that. Even if they somehow select new pacers, they don't give them opportunity to play...for ex. I am not sure how good  Avinash is, but I know how poor Harshal is...same goes for other franchizes as well.

Edited by singhvivek141

22 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

TBH, I am starting to doubt that thought process.
Players like Sushant, Tyagi are not getting chances to play for their franchise, despite of the fact that some of our frontline pacers are injured (Bumrah, Prasidh).
To fill that vaccum, likes of Avesh, Sakariya, Khaleel, Unadkut, Sandeep, Harshal are getting multiple opportunities...no IPL scouting is interested in ready to look beyond that. Even if they somehow select new pacers, they don't give them opportunity to play...for ex. I am not sure how good  Avinash is, but I know how poor Harshal is...same goes for other franchizes as well.

Not getting chances in an 11 and being picked (and paid) by a franchise to be a part of its squad (therefore being supported in their cricket career) are different things. 

A franchise will do what it thinks works the best for it. It is not necessarily thinking about any “national” team (in fact a franchise could prefer that a player gives it more preference than other cricket bodies). 

The confusion arises because many try to see IPL as a tournament designed to scout and prepare Indian players for team India, when that is merely a byproduct of IPL, which is a tournament in its own space. It actually competes with national teams for talent. For e.g. a Starc skipping it to prepare for tests is a loss to IPL franchises, who would prefer that a Starc (or a Bumrah) focuses on IPL and skips a test series. Performing in the highly competitive IPL can highlight talented players to their respective boards. 

Edited by zen

20 minutes ago, zen said:

Not getting chances in an 11 and being picked (and paid) by a franchise to be a part of its squad (therefore being supported in their cricket career) are different things. 

A franchise will do what it thinks works the best for it. It is not necessarily thinking about any “national” team (in fact a franchise could prefer that a player gives it more preference than other cricket bodies). 

The confusion arises because many try to see IPL as a tournament designed to scout and prepare Indian players for team India, when that is merely a byproduct of IPL, which is a tournament in its own space. It actually competes with national teams for talent. For e.g. a Starc skipping it to prepare for tests is a loss to IPL franchises, who would prefer that a Starc (or a Bumrah) focuses on IPL and skips a test series. Performing in the highly competitive IPL can highlight talented players to their respective boards. 

Looking at the bolded point only, I still can't fathom that franchise thinks that likes of Jaydev Unadkut, Sandeep Sharma, Harshal Patel etc are the best for them.

I understand, franchise don't care about national team and all they consider is their own benefit (longer the team performs, more sponsors they get)...but these trundlers are showing matches after matches that they're good for nothing.
There should be some upside or long term benefit to give multiple chances to these trundlers, some rationale behind it....unfortunately, I can't see that. 

29 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Looking at the bolded point only, I still can't fathom that franchise thinks that likes of Jaydev Unadkut, Sandeep Sharma, Harshal Patel etc are the best for them.

I understand, franchise don't care about national team and all they consider is their own benefit (longer the team performs, more sponsors they get)...but these trundlers are showing matches after matches that they're good for nothing.
There should be some upside or long term benefit to give multiple chances to these trundlers, some rationale behind it....unfortunately, I can't see that. 

IPL is a product of BCCI (the common factor among IPL, Team India and Ind’s domestic tournaments which includes SMAT for T20). Therefore, IPL is governed by BCCI’s laws/rules.

Now if BCCI’s lifts the limitations on overseas players, you may find only select Indian players playing in it. 

Edited by zen

3 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

The only good thing about trundlers is their ability to win the game for the opposition from impossible positions.