Denigration of North Indian/ Bihari Migrant Labour by Politicians in Tamil Nadu and attacks

javier26

4 hours ago, Khota said:

You cannot generalize it. All Tamils are not like that.

OP clearly said politicians. DMK has been doing this for so long and supporters of DMK talk about Hindi imposition. It is very hard for someone to not get ripped off in Chennai hailing autos because you don’t speak local language this is how it used to be now you can use apps at least. In south India you will mostly see Biharis doing construction work things have changed a lot in couple of years.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, gattaca said:

OP clearly said politicians. DMK has been doing this for so long and supporters of DMK talk about Hindi imposition. It is very hard for someone to not get ripped off in Chennai hailing autos because you don’t speak local language this is how it used to be now you can use apps at least. In south India you will mostly see Biharis doing construction work things have changed a lot in couple of years.

Derision and denigration of migrants is prevalent wherever there is a sizeable number of migrants.  And politicians take full advantage of these situations to create villains and project themselves as the ones who can protect you from said villains.

Growing up (and maybe even now), construction labour in Bengaluru was dominated by Tamizh-speakers from Krishnagiri, Salem etc.  And skirmishes were common. Tamizhs were denigrated and derisively referred to as "Kongatis."  There was even a time in the early '80s when theatres showing Tamizh movies were set on fire.  What was most surprising is that the most hospitable and laid-back community of people that I know, i.e., Kannadigas, were riled up against the Tamizhs.  Luckily it didn't last long.  

The Bihari/UP migrants being targeted in Maharashtra is another example.

And in the US, of course, the anti-migrant sentiment featuring Mexicans is a ticking time-bomb. 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

Where I live in Delhi, every second car cleaning guy and Every third maid is Tamil. How despicable would it be to these harass hard working, law abiding people, one can imagine...in the same way, non-Tamil migrant labour in TN are also hard working,law abiding and are contributing to Tamil Nadu economy and infrastructure.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:51 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Derision and denigration of migrants is prevalent wherever there is a sizeable number of migrants.  And politicians take full advantage of these situations to create villains and project themselves as the ones who can protect you from said villains.

Growing up (and maybe even now), construction labour in Bengaluru was dominated by Tamizh-speakers from Krishnagiri, Salem etc.  And skirmishes were common. Tamizhs were denigrated and derisively referred to as "Kongatis."  There was even a time in the early '80s when theatres showing Tamizh movies were set on fire.  What was most surprising is that the most hospitable and laid-back community of people that I know, i.e., Kannadigas, were riled up against the Tamizhs.  Luckily it didn't last long.  

The Bihari/UP migrants being targeted in Maharashtra is another example.

And in the US, of course, the anti-migrant sentiment featuring Mexicans is a ticking time-bomb. 

Kongati are people from Kongu region of TN which is neighboring Karnataka. Don’t know the etymology, but Kongu in Kannada also means crazy/half-wit. Hence, Kongatis became a norm to term all people from TN. 

Most of the PS employees in Bengaluru are migrants from TN, in HAL, BL, and esp in ITI. None of it caused any illwill, except in the 1980s when the Cauvery disputes were politically energized by politicians across the border, Tamil people in Karnataka and Karnataka people in TN were harmed in a retributive manner 

On 5/31/2023 at 11:06 PM, randomGuy said:

Where I live in Delhi, every second car cleaning guy and Every third maid is Tamil. How despicable would it be to these harass hard working, law abiding people, one can imagine...in the same way, non-Tamil migrant labour in TN are also hard working,law abiding and are contributing to Tamil Nadu economy and infrastructure.

There are some posters in ICF who see  everything in the eyes of a north-south divide and fully condone the violence meted out to migrants from UP-Bihar in TN. Don’t get suckered into responding to them

Edited by coffee_rules