Lab-grown chicken is now legal to sell in the U.S

randomGuy

4 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Yep, Singapore approved it in 2021.  Love to see these developments.

From an animal-cruelty standpoint, this is a winner.  From an environmental standpoint, not really. It takes a good bit of energy/resources and it may be a wash, at best.

Animal cruelty (by far the most important) plus religious harmony...for ex. The religious differences seem to be between vegetarianism(95% jains ,60% Sikhs and 50% Hindus being vegetarians) and non-vegetarianism, between which animal to eat and which to spare (cow for Hindus, pigs for Muslims, dogs,cats for almost everyone) and how to slaughter (halal, jhatka etc)...

I have been tracking this field and one Mr Uma valeti of upside foods (one of the 2 companies which got the approval) from a decade...

I have a sad feeling living in a world where crores upon crores of animals are slaughtered everyday for human consumption...even though spirituality says physical world is mithya, and animals and insects will continue to be killed for food by others animals even after all humans start consuming cultivated meats only, this innovation would have very profound impact on the world and humanity imho.

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

Animal cruelty (by far the most important) plus religious harmony...for ex. The religious differences seem to be between vegetarianism(95% jains ,60% Sikhs and 50% Hindus being vegetarians) and non-vegetarianism, between which animal to eat and which to spare (cow for Hindus, pigs for Muslims, dogs,cats for almost everyone) and how to slaughter (halal, jhatka etc)...

I have been tracking this field and one Mr Uma valeti of upside foods (one of the 2 companies which got the approval) from a decade...

I have a sad feeling living in a world where crores upon crores of animals are slaughtered everyday for human consumption...even though spirituality says physical world is mithya, and animals and insects will continue to be killed for food by others animals even after all humans start consuming cultivated meats only, this innovation would have very profound impact on the world and humanity imho.

My guess is that - for at least half a century - cell-cultured meat will hold only a niche market for the urban consumer, and that too only in the developed world. The infrastructure necessary to manufacture and, more importantly, comply with intense regulatory requirements is onerous to build and maintain. These products will be held to a higher standard than animal agriculture. and I cannot see it penetrate nations where livestock farming is mostly reliant on small, subsistence-level farms and ranches (which is the way it is done in most of the world).

Second, I don't think it will solve religious harmony in any way. Religions can still find a way to shun the product based on the "purity" principle. It may be unacceptable to them use of even minute amounts of animal products that are necessary to grow the cell-cultures - be it bovine serum or porcine hormones.

Another very cool line of products is cell-based milk (pioneered by Ryan Pandya and Perumal Gandhi of Perfect Day foods). Brave Robot is another company specializing in precision-fermented ice-cream made with yeast cells genetically altered to make milk proteins.

As for me, I am a huge fan of all of these products and have been consuming Impossible burgers (let's go GMO!!) for several years now.  Can't wait for cell-cultured meats to hit the market.

2 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

My guess is that - for at least half a century - cell-cultured meat will hold only a niche market for the urban consumer, and that too only in the developed world. The infrastructure necessary to manufacture and, more importantly, comply with intense regulatory requirements is onerous to build and maintain. These products will be held to a higher standard than animal agriculture. and I cannot see it penetrate nations where livestock farming is mostly reliant on small, subsistence-level farms and ranches (which is the way it is done in most of the world).

Second, I don't think it will solve religious harmony in any way. Religions can still find a way to shun the product based on the "purity" principle. It may be unacceptable to them use of even minute amounts of animal products that are necessary to grow the cell-cultures - be it bovine serum or porcine hormones.

Another very cool line of products is cell-based milk (pioneered by Ryan Pandya and Perumal Gandhi of Perfect Day foods). Brave Robot is another company specializing in precision-fermented ice-cream made with yeast cells genetically altered to make milk proteins.

As for me, I am a huge fan of all of these products and have been consuming Impossible burgers (let's go GMO!!) for several years now.  Can't wait for cell-cultured meats to hit the market.

Thanks will check out cell based milk...I think animal welfare is something which connects to heart of most people. Although I agree that self sustaining livelihood will be affected but 1. employment will be generated by lab based meat and urbanization has been a rising anyways from a long time now...2. but most of all, it will be consumer driven. People will largely choose to eat lab based meat over animal slaughter and will gradually overcome religion barrier also. 3. Adoption curve is very steep nowadays be it internet usage, cell phone usage, 4G, EVs etc. So half a century could be a pessimistic estimate. Pls read some 2040 estimate

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/12/most-meat-in-2040-will-not-come-from-slaughtered-animals-report&ved=2ahUKEwisq-2hzuP_AhVDsVYBHavrDGcQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3qTfRhFGcneYRTzHmKZP-q

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Thanks will check out cell based milk...I think animal welfare is something which connects to heart of most people. Although I agree that self sustaining livelihood will be affected but 1. employment will be generated by lab based meat and urbanization has been a rising anyways from a long time now...2. but most of all, it will be consumer driven. People will largely choose to eat lab based meat over animal slaughter and will gradually overcome religion barrier also. 3. Adoption curve is very steep nowadays be it internet usage, cell phone usage, 4G, EVs etc. So half a century could be a pessimistic estimate. Pls read some 2040 estimate

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/12/most-meat-in-2040-will-not-come-from-slaughtered-animals-report&ved=2ahUKEwisq-2hzuP_AhVDsVYBHavrDGcQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3qTfRhFGcneYRTzHmKZP-q

Hope you are right. But, being in the biotech space, I am never optimistic about the time and cost of (mostly unnecessary) regulation of lab-based technologies. 

10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I can eat plant based GMO food, but will never ever eat lab meat or feed it to my kids .?Don’t want to turn up as an organic oldage mutant ninja! 

Discussed earlier here

Specifically, what is it that scares you?  Let's face it - animals are flesh-factories - where fewer, smaller cells grow into numerous, larger cells of a specific type (muscle).  Now, we can create these factories in clean, sterile metal tanks starting with fewer smaller cells that can grow into numerous larger cells of a specific type (muscle). Ashte guru!

On 6/28/2023 at 5:38 AM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Specifically, what is it that scares you?  Let's face it - animals are flesh-factories - where fewer, smaller cells grow into numerous, larger cells of a specific type (muscle).  Now, we can create these factories in clean, sterile metal tanks starting with fewer smaller cells that can grow into numerous larger cells of a specific type (muscle). Ashte guru!

That is not safe for human consumption. Just like I avoud drinking artificial juice made from chemicals , . Do humans have enzymes to consume some synthetic organic material produced in a lab, like organic plastic? 

Anyhow, it is fgood or  those nonVs who crave for eating meat and also have the guilt of killing a living animal with feelings. Plus I don’t want to be a lab rat! 

15 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Lab grown meat will make millions jobless which are in poultry animal rearing business. Most countries are going to put restriction in it to protect their  local industry. 

First of all, it is extremely expensive to cut into widespread meat industry, it is commercially not viable.

Also, all Muslim countries will ban it , as it is haraam and against the multi-billion dollar Halal industry .There is no slow-death that can be administered to lab meat!

Edited by coffee_rules

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

That is not safe for human consumption. Just like I avoud drinking artificial juice made from chemicals , . Do humans have enzymes to consume some synthetic organic material produced in a lab, like organic plastic? 

Anyhow, it is fgood or  those nonVs who crave for eating meat and also have the guilt of killing a living animal with feelings. Plus I don’t want to be a lab rat! 

This is a bit different from drinking juice. These are muscle cells grown in very precisely studied conditions that mimic the actual chemical composition of the cellular environment in the animal. If one has the enzymes to process chicken muscle, one has the enzymes to process chicken muscle-cell cultures. Think of the reactors that make these cells as steel-chickens or steel-cows or steel-pigs.

The same technology is also being utilized to grow organs for transplants. So, for example, someone needs a liver transplant, you can take skin cells out of their body, transform them into a liver in a lab using cell cultures and use it to transplant it. The chemicals used in this process are the same chemicals that our bodies make.

-------------------------

So, what's the story with juice?  It's not the "chemicals," it's the sugar (which is also a chemical) that is the problem.  So, not only is artificially flavored juice not good to consume in high amounts, you must also avoid squeezed/filtered fruit juice (minus the fiber) is not good for you. If you want to consume fruits, eat them whole or juice them up and drink them with the fiber.