2022 Asian Games, Hangzhou (23rd September to 8th October, 2023)

Gollum

Pakistan volleyball team is looking good...  Surprised they are  ranked ahead of India at 51st spot @Gollum this is surprising on so many levels. 

Good win against Chinese Taipei.  Domination. 

India v Pak game could be a cracker if it happens. 

Hopefully we don't face Japan before Semis at least  

Edited by Lone Wolf

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Pakistan volleyball team is looking good...  Surprised they are  ranked ahead of India at 51st spot @Gollum this is surprising on so many levels. 

Good win against Chinese Taipei.  Domination. 

India v Pak game could be a cracker if it happens. 

Hopefully we don't face Japan before Semis at least  

Pak did beat us in the 2018 Asian Games. 

16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Pak did beat us in the 2018 Asian Games. 

Volleyball doesn't requires much infrastructure...  South Asian sides if they invest heavily here could become serious contenders. 

Unfortunately promising kids drop out of volleyball once high school gets over. 

Let's see if Pro Volleyball has improved us or not.  Our blocking game was below average against Koreans who also had a shocking game against us. 

Relatively quiet day for India today. 

Some table tennis team action vs Yemen and Singapore later for the men  and Singapore for the women (tough)

Men's volleyball team play for a place in the qtr finals vs Taiwan

A rower fights for a place in the finals, and

India's lone athelte in the Pentathlon has the fencing round today

12 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Volleyball team is up 2-0 vs Taiwan

Men's TT team is whipping Yemen and one rower makes it to the finals. 

Some sailing action going on as well - but I can't understand it at all :)

Volleyball team wins a close set to make it to the next round. 2nd big win after South Korea. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:20 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Football game was depressing to watch...  Heard players were jet lagged & it was severe unprofessional show from Football association.  I don't know the deal with clubs & availability. 

Losing 5-1 to Chinese is bad bad performance. 

We are never competing with them in Swimming & synchronized events in next 30 years at least.  Economic gap is way too much. 

Team events should do much better though.  You can punch above your weight in team events. 

It was abysmal prep going into the games. Sleeping at airport salon as hotels were overbooked, arriving 20 hrs before the first game and of course issues with player availability thanks to the AIFF( Didn't have a decent camp for the U23s with more than half the players missing) . TBH don't expect much from this tournament, it's been a s##tshow from the start.

16 hours ago, randomGuy said:

https://en.volleyballworld.com/volleyball/world-ranking/men

Volleyball men's rankings

Japan rank 5, Pakistan 51, Bangladesh 72, India 73.

South Korea is ranked 27 but got bullied by Pakistan & also lost to India.  Rankings probably not correct criteria to judge form. 

I think India got screwed badly by facing Japanese in QFs the best side in Asia. 

Pakistan has a shot at Bronze at least.  They face Qatar in QF. 

On 9/21/2023 at 3:33 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Scrappy 1-0 win against Bangladesh in Football.  Chetri scored in 85th minute.  Next round hopes just about alive. 

Back to mediocrity I'd say. 

This is a second string team. Main teams is really good, I think we can beat the likes of China with a full strength team 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, Gollum said:

Maybe @randomGuy was right, we overhyped the SAFF result. 1-5 against Japan or South Korea is acceptable. But against China, disaster.

We lost the women's football game 0-8 against the Koreans.

We drew with Iraq 2-2 full time, with Iraq scoring both goals of penalties( one was definitely referee mistake) . Tis I was just last month.  Even that game we dint have the likes of Changte who imo is better than chetri at the same stage. So no, our football is on the right track. We will Crack top 80 in next 3-4 years 

43 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

South Korea is ranked 27 but got bullied by Pakistan & also lost to India.  Rankings probably not correct criteria to judge form. 

I think India got screwed badly by facing Japanese in QFs the best side in Asia. 

Pakistan has a shot at Bronze at least.  They face Qatar in QF. 

Just checked and Qatar is ranked 17 btw maybe thanks to imported players , just Guessing..

22 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Just checked and Qatar is ranked 17 btw maybe thanks to imported players , just Guessing..

Could be great game Pak V Qatar...  Pakistan team is in red hot form.  They are beating good teams in straight games.   I don't think all games are being covered even Indian game vs Chinese Taipei was not aired. 

Hopefully India v Japan is aired.  I am hoping for some miracle... Hoping against hope:isalute: