Seeing India and watching Cricket

wobblydoggy

Hi, my name is Wobblydoggy an ardent Cricket fan for some 57 years, (I am 62 this year)

I retire soon and one of my Bucket List wishes is to see a test series in India and take the opportunity to see your wonderful country.

Would you recommend me renting an apartment in a central town or city and travelling to each test?

I intend to come and stay for two to three months.

Advice would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, wobblydoggy said:

Hi, my name is Wobblydoggy an ardent Cricket fan for some 57 years, (I am 62 this year)

I retire soon and one of my Bucket List wishes is to see a test series in India and take the opportunity to see your wonderful country.

Would you recommend me renting an apartment in a central town or city and travelling to each test?

Thanks in advance.

For north India, feb-march are the best months weatherwise.. highly recommend you choose these months. India is very large and very diverse( so much to travel), having apartment in 'central city' wouldn't work if you want to explore maximum in 2-3 months...

Anyways geographically 'central cities' will have decent connectivity but not as good a connectivity as Delhi or Mumbai 

5 hours ago, wobblydoggy said:

Thanks in advance.

Where are you from? Metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru are your best bets for convenience. Even Hyd, the stadium is far away from the center of the city. Bengaluru , Mumbai, it is in the heart of the city. AirBnB works better and cheaper than hotels. My wishlist has been to watch a match in Dharmsala. Last time when I was there  it got canceled and moved to Amdavad . Weather is a lottery , cricket season is from Nov-Mar, recommend Mumbai or Chennai weather wise as they are more consistent. Bengaluru is most unpredictable 

Edited by coffee_rules

6 hours ago, randomGuy said:

For north India, feb-march are the best months weatherwise.. highly recommend you choose these months. India is very large and very diverse( so much to travel), having apartment in 'central city' wouldn't work if you want to explore maximum in 2-3 months...

Anyways geographically 'central cities' will have decent connectivity but not as good a connectivity as Delhi or Mumbai 

Looking at the Golden Triangle and renting an apartment that I use as a base?

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Where are you from? Metros like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru are your best bets for convenience. Even Hyd, the stadium is far away from the center of the city. Bengaluru , Mumbai, it is in the heart of the city. AirBnB works better and cheaper than hotels. My wishlist has been to watch a match in Dharmsala. Last time when I was there  it got canceled and moved to Amdavad . Weather is a lottery , cricket season is from Nov-Mar, recommend Mumbai or Chennai weather wise as they are more consistent. Bengaluru is most unpredictable 

I was thinking a smaller city so I am not overwhelmed, I understand Mumbai to be very busy. 

I am from England and love the game and the passion of Indian fans.

I want to go to test stadiums filled with passionate fans and drink in the atmosphere and banter

30 minutes ago, wobblydoggy said:

I was thinking a smaller city so I am not overwhelmed, I understand Mumbai to be very busy. 

I want to go to test stadiums filled with passionate fans and drink in the atmosphere and banter

Based on your posts, I would recommend Mohali for a test match. 

Having said that, if this is a bucket-list type desire, go to Eden Gardens for test cricket. There are many disadvantages - Kolkata, big city, etc etc., but that is probably the one location where there will be a good crowd for tests.

50 minutes ago, wobblydoggy said:

TierIi cities like Bengaluru, Mohali, Amnedabad, Dharmasala, Guwahati, Hyderabad etc are manageable Ahmedabad has the world’s biggest cricket stadium now. I hope you meant drink the atmosphere and banter. Because there is no drinking (alcohol) in the stadium anywhere in India unlike the west. There are many things not allowed - like cameras, backpacks, flags, power banks too. Ugh! But, in the end the experience is all worth the inconvenience 

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

TierIi cities like Bengaluru, Mohali, Amnedabad, Dharmasala, Guwahati, Hyderabad etc are manageable Ahmedabad has the world’s biggest cricket stadium now. I hope you meant drink the atmosphere and banter. Because there is no drinking (alcohol) in the stadium anywhere in India unlike the west. There are many things not allowed - like cameras, backpacks, flags, power banks too. Ugh! But, in the end the experience is all worth the inconvenience 

Yes, I meant absorb the great atmosphere of a tight test match

Many thanks I will look at those cities

Have you tried getting in touch with the barmy army or a similar travel group? I love your enthusiasm to attend an entire test series but the heat, noise pollution and a bunch of other irritants will make it a challenging experience. Being in a group seems like an easier way to cope with the challenges.