Why Retiring in India No Longer Requires Living With the Kids

Khota

10 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

From a Javed Akhtar poem from a different context, but apt here

” Kabhi Jo Khwab tha wo pa liya hai  

magar jo kho gayi wo cheez kya thi”

The bond with parents is often the first sacrifice on the altar of aspiration.

On the other end of the spectrum, an increasing number of elderly Indian parents are putting greater value on their own independence and prefer to live on their own.

To each their own.  As long each family's parent-child relationships and living arrangements are based on open trust and understanding (not simply because tradition demands it or ambition demands it), most problems can be solved. And it is not for anyone else to judge the basis of these arrangements. My 2 naye paise.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

It isnt a change in how society is organised and works. its an improvement of the same parameters of transport. 

Being **** at raising kids and increasing social ills isnt an evolution.If it were, they'd not be behind us immigrants with Indian values in every measurable metric, gora-ghulaam.

What you call improvement is a fundamental change in society.

I don't know what is more stubborn, the donkey or you sitting on the donkey.

Just now, Khota said:

What you call improvement is a fundamental change in society.

I don't know what is more stubborn, the donkey or you sitting on the donkey.

an improvement of the same mode isnt a fundamental change in societal STRUCTURE, idiot. 

Facts are stubborn to propaganda. duh

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

From a Javed Akhtar poem from a different context, but apt here

” Kabhi Jo Khwab tha wo pa liya hai  

magar jo kho gayi wo cheez kya thi”

The bond with parents is often the first sacrifice on the altar of aspiration.

At a pure emotional level, I relate to this and it hits me. But at an existential level, I dont.

In mammal kingdom, dont believe any of the species stay with the parents till the very end of their lives. Or there are no parents who take care of their children beyond the point that they are capable of fending for themseves. Yes, we are much more evolved neurological species, but often one has to ask why we do what we do.

Family is an institution but its also only one possible framework. Yes, I do still think it is best governance mechanism for human beings but it cannot be an overarching identity. Same family that provides love and shelter also can be a source of abuse, stagnation and anguish. 

Genius of this land used to be that elders would enter into "Vanapastha" - Withdrawal from society / retirement and finally Sanyassa or renouncement. Moderation is the key. Understanding that the identity we endorse is made up. It matters only to the extent it does. It has little to none existential relevance.

Edited by ravishingravi

46 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

At a pure emotional level, I relate to this and it hits me. But at an existential level, I dont.

In mammal kingdom, dont believe any of the species stay with the parents till the very end of their lives. Or there are no parents who take care of their children beyond the point that they are capable of fending for themseves. Yes, we are much more evolved neurological species, but often one has to ask why we do what we do.

Family is an institution but its also only one possible framework. Yes, I do still think it is best governance mechanism for human beings but it cannot be an overarching identity. Same family that provides love and shelter also can be a source of abuse, stagnation and anguish. 

Genius of this land used to be that elders would enter into "Vanapastha" - Withdrawal from society / retirement and finally Sanyassa or renouncement. Moderation is the key. Understanding that the identity we endorse is made up. It matters only to the extent it does. It has little to none existential relevance.

You are kidding, right ? Elephants. almost all bovids, Dolphins, Meerkats and several other species live in big groups that almost always involve old parents & siblings. 

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

You are kidding, right ? Elephants. almost all bovids, Dolphins, Meerkats and several other species live in big groups that almost always involve old parents & siblings. 

Gorillas , Forest Monkeys too. 

Edited by coffee_rules

6 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

an improvement of the same mode isnt a fundamental change in societal STRUCTURE, idiot. 

Facts are stubborn to propaganda. duh

Moron sending mail by horses took months. Email is instantaneous. You will argue because you are dumber than a rock the mode has changed. But moron that is a paradigm shift. They need to have some literacy tests before that let someone like you post.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Moron sending mail by horses took months. Email is instantaneous. You will argue because you are dumber than a rock the mode has changed. But moron that is a paradigm shift. They need to have some literacy tests before that let someone like you post.

Moron, there is a difference between more efficient version of technology, vs a SOCIAL STRUCTURAL CHANGE. A flint sword, an iron sword, a steel sword are all the same. Going by bullock cart vs going by horse vs going by car is the same- its just more efficient version of each other. Which is entirely different than how society organises itself in terms of family structure. 

Only a moron of the highest order will compare modes of transport to social structure.

32 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Moron, there is a difference between more efficient version of technology, vs a SOCIAL STRUCTURAL CHANGE. A flint sword, an iron sword, a steel sword are all the same. Going by bullock cart vs going by horse vs going by car is the same- its just more efficient version of each other. Which is entirely different than how society organises itself in terms of family structure. 

Only a moron of the highest order will compare modes of transport to social structure.

But a sword and a automatic weapon are totally different. Moron.

44 minutes ago, Khota said:

But a sword and a automatic weapon are totally different. Moron.

Yes they are. An automatic weapon isnt just a faster/more efficient sword, the way a car is just a faster & more efficient cart, retard. Hence i said that your analogy of equating improvements in a technology that makes life more efficient, with a fundamental change in how society is STRUCTURED, is retarded. Especially given when what you gora worshippers call progress, is regress and is the MAIN reason why goras cant compete with us in their own backyard.