Does Sri Lanka tormentor Siraj look "reassuring" ? Should he be dropped if Hardik can bowl 10 overs, so that our batting gets cushion in knockout games against stronger sides ?

Depends on the pitch and the opposition.

Pandya / Ashwin coming in place of Sky isn't a bad call. 

SA for instance might be happy to face kuldeep.

We can easily have a team lineup like this against them 

Sharma

Gill 

Kohli 

Rahul 

Iyer / SKY 

Pandya 

Jadeja 

Ashwin 

Shami

Bumrah 

Siraj / Kuldeep

Nothing against the players missing out , but horses for courses. Ashwin might make better sense for SA as they are more used to facing a Chinaman than the other teams even if shamsi isn't as good as Kuldeep

We need five bowlers.I was the first one to have supported Thakur's imaginary batting but it was such a mistake to even think of playing Thakur over Shami.

Pandya is not needed now, India has 5 good bowlers and if they need those 4 overs then  match is out of hand already.

So let him recoup and play for next year IPL. They have won so many matches till now and they will win last four matches also.

We don't need an imaginary batting strength again. It is not like Pandya is better batsman than SKY or Iyer.

Edited by putrevus
10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

We need five bowlers.I was the first one to have supported Thakur imaginary batting but it was such a mistake to even think of playing Thakur over Shami.

Pandya is not needed now, India has 5 good bowlers and if they need those 4 overs if match is out of hand already.

So let him recoup and play for next year IPL. They have won so many matches till now and they will win last four matches also.

We don't need an imaginary batting strength again. It is not like Pandya is better batsman than SKY or Iyer.

The only prob with 5 regular bowlers in the playing11 is : If one of them gets injured during the match, there is no one to bowl his quota.  Pandya being the 6th bowler helps.  We dont hv a single part timer sadly.  

12 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

The only prob with 5 regular bowlers in the playing11 is : If one of them gets injured during the match, there is no one to bowl his quota.  Pandya being the 6th bowler helps.  We dont hv a single part timer sadly.  

That is just fine, Pandya is not going to strengthen the batting as we will have to remove SKY or Iyer.How is Pandya adding value.

7 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

one injury and you have Kohli bowling the rest of the overs.Its not like SKY has done anything noteworthy in ODIs anyway.

You don't go into match fearing the worst. Pandya coming off injury will be better batsman straight away than SKY? How many overs will he bowl if there is an injury to another bowler. 

SKY was the reason why India won against England.

Edited by putrevus
13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You don't go into match fearing the worst. Pandya coming off injury will be better batsman straight away than SKY? How many overs will he bowl if there is an injury to another bowler. 

SKY was the reason why India won against England.

Pandya has won us many games with bat and ball.he should play only if he can bowl though.I still am not sure about SKY,before the England innings he couldnt put bat to ball.

Just now, cowboysfan said:

Pandya has won us many games with bat and ball.he should play only if he can bowl though.I still am not sure about SKY,before the England innings he couldnt put bat to ball.

So did Ashwin, he won us 2013 CT .I don't want him in the team on any pitch.

Pandya played 2019 world cup full fit, what was his stand out performance with bat and ball there.If Pandya was playing all matches till now, he would have been thru the grind.He is rehabbing in NCA .

IMO there is chemistry developing in this team, I would not distrub it. SKY has ability to win matches on his own.He can change a normal total to match winning total even if he comes to bat after 40 overs.

43 minutes ago, putrevus said:

So did Ashwin, he won us 2013 CT .I don't want him in the team on any pitch.

Pandya played 2019 world cup full fit, what was his stand out performance with bat and ball there.If Pandya was playing all matches till now, he would have been thru the grind.He is rehabbing in NCA .

IMO there is chemistry developing in this team, I would not distrub it. SKY has ability to win matches on his own.He can change a normal total to match winning total even if he comes to bat after 40 overs.

Pandya has done quite well this WC and if he's fit to bowl 10 overs then and only then should he play. But if he is then no reason why he can't play over Siraj. Siraj has been off colour this WC save for the lanka bashing. We need the additional batting in knockouts. Our recent knockout failures have been batting related in Odis... 2019 wc semi we should have chased that but he had multiple keepers and kedhar freaking jadhav and Dhoni about 10 years past his prime. 2015..330 was very chase able but we s*** the bed after a good opening stand. 2017 CT final brain dead by kohli at the toss but batting completely got owned there. And it was Pandya who gave us a semblance of respectability and who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been run out. 

Siraj is a better bowler than Pandya no question but at this point in their careers and tournament, Siraj isn't necessarily a better 3rd pacer than Pandya against anyone not named Sri Lanka. Pandya can win a game on his own with the bat. We can't have Jaddu coming in at 7 and an unreliable Sky at 6.

11 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Pandya has done quite well this WC and if he's fit to bowl 10 overs then and only then should he play. But if he is then no reason why he can't play over Siraj. Siraj has been off colour this WC save for the lanka bashing. We need the additional batting in knockouts. Our recent knockout failures have been batting related in Odis... 2019 wc semi we should have chased that but he had multiple keepers and kedhar freaking jadhav and Dhoni about 10 years past his prime. 2015..330 was very chase able but we s*** the bed after a good opening stand. 2017 CT final brain dead by kohli at the toss but batting completely got owned there. And it was Pandya who gave us a semblance of respectability and who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been run out. 

Siraj is a better bowler than Pandya no question but at this point in their careers and tournament, Siraj isn't necessarily a better 3rd pacer than Pandya against anyone not named Sri Lanka. Pandya can win a game on his own with the bat. We can't have Jaddu coming in at 7 and an unreliable Sky at 6.

No he cannot play over Siraj. 

In no world he is a better bowler than Siraj.We are just fine without him so far and there is no need to change that combination.

There was case for him playing over SKY but if he walks into semis without any matches behind him. He has not batted either to say he has better batting form.

So what makes him a better option.

Edited by putrevus
11 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No he cannot play over Siraj. 

In no world he is a better bowler than Siraj.We are just fine without him so far and there is no need to change that combination.

There was case for him playing over SKY but if he walks into semis without any matches behind him. He has not batted either to say he has better batting form.

So what makes him a better option.

I have already said and most would agree that Siraj is a better bowler than Pandya. However, in this WC, Hardik has averaged 22 per wicket and Siraj averages 34...and that is including the Lanka bashing. 

Pandya also has more experience of bowling in Indian conditions and big games. Siraj came into the WC on a high but really **** the bed... Pressure can do that.  

Pandya as a 3rd seamer as a foil for Bumrah and Shami is a better bet than Siraj for this WC if and only if he is back fully fit and can play at least one game prior to the SF. 

1 minute ago, Dil Dil India said:

I have already said and most would agree that Siraj is a better bowler than Pandya. However, in this WC, Hardik has averaged 22 per wicket and Siraj averages 34...and that is including the Lanka bashing. 

Pandya also has more experience of bowling in Indian conditions and big games. Siraj came into the WC on a high but really **** the bed... Pressure can do that.  

Pandya as a 3rd seamer as a foil for Bumrah and Shami is a better bet than Siraj for this WC if and only if he is back fully fit and can play at least one game prior to the SF. 

Pandya avg is low as he comes after main bowlers have done damage.Australia's match is prime example why you need Siraj and Shami, Siraj might not have picked up wickets but he was holding one end.

Not blaming Pandya , his job is not be third seamer.Pandya came on and  leaked runs to release all the pressure.He is suited more to be fourth seamer.

Siraj's economy rate is still almost 1.5 runs less. Siraj if he does not pick up wicket will hold one end better than Pandya.

Plus it will disturb whole combination. Siraj and Bumrah open and Shami bowls first change. You are attacking and trying to get wickets with all three bowlers.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Pandya avg is low as he comes after main bowlers have done damage.Australia's match is prime example why you need Siraj and Shami, Siraj might not have picked up wickets but he was holding one end.

Not blaming Pandya , his job is not be third seamer.Pandya came on and  leaked runs to release all the pressure.He is suited more to be fourth seamer.

Siraj's economy rate is still almost 1.5 runs less. Siraj if he does not pick up wicket will hold one end better than Pandya.

Plus it will disturb whole combination. Siraj and Bumrah open and Shami bowls first change. You are attacking and trying to get wickets with all three bowlers.

Man I see where you're coming from but I don't want to get into dissecting stats too much because if we go down that route and exclude the free for all lanka bashing from yesterday, Siraj stats are much worse. 

My point is simple: 

1. Pandya has done better with the ball than Siraj this WC in the games they played together. 

2. Pandya has more big game and Indian pitches experience. 

The way I see it, they are both as likely to get tonked, but Pandya can cover that with the bat and give us much needed firepower and depth. 

Also something to consider is that Siraj is our worst fielder. He cost us a good 10 runs the previous game while diving over the ball and fielding. Terrible terrible fielder. Arguably worse than Kuldeep. 

27 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Man I see where you're coming from but I don't want to get into dissecting stats too much because if we go down that route and exclude the free for all lanka bashing from yesterday, Siraj stats are much worse. 

My point is simple: 

1. Pandya has done better with the ball than Siraj this WC in the games they played together. 

2. Pandya has more big game and Indian pitches experience. 

The way I see it, they are both as likely to get tonked, but Pandya can cover that with the bat and give us much needed firepower and depth. 

Also something to consider is that Siraj is our worst fielder. He cost us a good 10 runs the previous game while diving over the ball and fielding. Terrible terrible fielder. Arguably worse than Kuldeep. 

Free for all SL bashing? how. He was not given anything on platter. The same SL batting lineup  bashed SA and Pakistan bowlers.Those deliveries were getting majority of batsmen in this world cup.

See you cannot be so drastic with your selections as a captain.It will kill all the morale of the team.Rohit made sure he was talking more about Siraj than Shami yesterday.

Siraj was your best bowler in the team after Bumrah when tournament started and now you want him to be out of the team for a player coming from injury after he  had a great match.

SKY is the only replacement.Pandya cannot be the 5th bowler in place of Siraj. 

Edited by putrevus
26 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Free for all SL bashing? how. He was not given anything on platter. The same SL batting lineup  bashed SA and Pakistan bowlers.Those deliveries were getting majority of batsmen in this world cup.

See you cannot be so drastic with your selections as a captain.It will kill all the morale of the team.Rohit made sure he was talking more about Siraj than Shami yesterday.

Siraj was your best bowler in the team after Bumrah when tournament started and now you want him to be out of the team for a player coming from injury after he  had a great match.

SKY is the only replacement.Pandya cannot be the 5th bowler in place of Siraj. 

Let's see what Siraj does against SA. If he has really arrived at this WC, I expect a good performance from him against them.