Does Sri Lanka tormentor Siraj look "reassuring" ? Should he be dropped if Hardik can bowl 10 overs, so that our batting gets cushion in knockout games against stronger sides ?

I would say YES.

I am not overly swayed by Siraj's exploits against a now minnow category team like Sri Lanka.

Siraj still looks slippery and unpredictable - a disastrous opening spell with with 2-3 boundary balls every over and the side would be off to a bad start

( like we  were against Pakistan and New Zealand, thanks to Siraj taking a long time to settle in )

We need to ensure our opposition does not get off to flying start - if we have to bowl first.

On present form - Bumrah and Shami give that assurance, Siraj does not.

1) If Siraj has to play as a seamer and Hardik is unfit - I would bowl Siraj as 1st change and have Shami and Bumrah open the bowling.

2) If Hardik is FIT and can bowl 10 overs near his best, I would drop Siraj to accommodate Hardik , instead of dropping a batsman.

It is our batting that has floundered in BIG games, and we as it have a useless tail. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

A bit harsh to call him SL tormentor and SL scored 345 against phast poyz at this WC. However he must perform better or he will risk being relegated to the Babar version of bowling; weak team bully basically.

Siraj is a good bowler but in a knockout India need the batting especially with Iyer and SKY not inspiring confidence.

1. Gil

2. Rohit

3. Kohli

4. Iyer

5. Rahul
6. Pandya

7. SKY

8. Jaddu

9. Shami

10.Bumrah
11.Kuldeep

If a guy like SKY comes off the game is won and in Indian conditions Pandya and Jaddu should be trusted to bowl 20 overs as long as they are fit. The issue is we dont have someone like Sachin or Yuvraj to give us 4 or 5 overs but that is a risk we have to take. What we dont want is Thakur.

Is there anyone who can bowl part time spin of any decent quality?  

At Wankhede, which is a pace friendly and a batting friendly venue, I'd rather play all of Siraj/Shami/Bumrah/Pandya and drop one of the spinners for the semis

Problem is we need 3-4 overs of part time bowling.

I think we should keep emotions aside and play the right team. Our lower order batting indeed is weak and like it has happened in the past, there is a good chance we will need good lower order batters during the KO games. As long as Hardik is fit to bowl 10 overs, we should replace Siraj with Hardik. Anyways,  most pitches are going to be batting belters so its important to have some batting firepower lower down the order. 

1)   If we think clearly, how much value does Shardul, the batsman, add to the team based on current form ?  Shardul has hardly played a decent knock in ODIs in the last 18 months.

2)  A fully fit Hardik can't bowl more than 5 or 6 overs with intensity. Now a half fit Hardik, who lacks match practice, can't be trusted with 10 overs.

3)  3 proper fast bowlers, bowling in tandem with intensity, has made a HUGE difference to our bowling attack. The pressure they are creating is relentless. This can't happen with Hardik or Shardul as 3rd pacer. 

4)   Shami, Bumrah and Kuldeep can all bat a bit these days.

So .. (a)  Hardik should not replace Siraj. This will be a huge punt rather than a high probability of success step.

(b)  Shardul replacing Siraj would weaken the bowling without improving the batting in reality.

If Hardik is fit, he should replace one among SKY or Shreyas to provide the 6th bowling option .. rest of the team should be the same. 

Edited by express bowling

At this point of time, we shouldn't touch the trio of Bumrah, Shami, Siraj at point unless they want rest.

Bumrah, Kuldeep & Shami are contributing 10-12 runs with bat..so effectively they are contributing 30 runs together...just need one senior batter at the other end.

Hardik once he comes back will give us 6th bowling option..but he is going to be more of a support bowler considering he may not bowl 10 overs.

Siraj, Shami, Bumrah & Kuldeep means you're getting solid 40 overs of wicket taking options...10 overs can be managed by Jadeja & Hardik.

Edited by singhvivek141
7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

1)   If we think clearly, how much value does Shardul, the batsman, add to the team based on current form ?  Shardul has hardly played a decent knock in ODIs in the last 18 months.

2)  A fully fit Hardik can't bowl more than 5 or 6 overs with intensity. Now a half fit Hardik, who lacks match practice, can't be trusted with 10 overs.

3)  3 proper fast bowlers, bowling in tandem with intensity, has made a HUGE difference to our bowling attack. The pressure they are creating is relentless. This can't happen with Hardik or Shardul as 3rd pacer. 

So .. (a)  Hardik should not replace Siraj. This will be a huge punt rather than a high probability of success step.

(b)  Shardul replacing Siraj would weaken the bowling without improving the batting in reality.

If Hardik is fit, he should replace one among SKY or Shreyas to provide the 6th bowling option .. rest of the team should be the same. 

I think the other pertinent issue at hand, is that I dont expect Siraj and Shami to both fire, Im sure we will have one game where either has an off game.

It means it places so much pressure on Shardul/Hardik if they were to play. Hardik may bat well, but given his injury I have my doubts he can bowl to win any game for India, ditto for Shardul.

Having both Siraj and Shami ensures one of these bowlers will be a weapon on the day for India.

Now is not the time to experiment, its over. Its time to settle the final XI. Im fine for resting players in the last two games, but our playing XI is settled.

2 hours ago, Dil Dil India said:

A bit harsh to call him SL tormentor and SL scored 345 against phast poyz at this WC. However he must perform better or he will risk being relegated to the Babar version of bowling; weak team bully basically.

Siraj is a good bowler but in a knockout India need the batting especially with Iyer and SKY not inspiring confidence.

1. Gil

2. Rohit

3. Kohli

4. Iyer

5. Rahul
6. Pandya

7. SKY

8. Jaddu

9. Shami

10.Bumrah
11.Kuldeep

If a guy like SKY comes off the game is won and in Indian conditions Pandya and Jaddu should be trusted to bowl 20 overs as long as they are fit. The issue is we dont have someone like Sachin or Yuvraj to give us 4 or 5 overs but that is a risk we have to take. What we dont want is Thakur.

Jadeja can be trusted but pandya as a fifth bowler is recipe for disaster specially coming after Injury.

Assuming pandya is fit. We need a 6th bowler and batting depth. Our seamers are being awesome and with dew in picture...spinners will be risky. I will play pandya in place of either sky or iyer.. and Ashwin in place of Kuldeep.

In these pitches Ashwin can be handful and give us the batting depth.

Gill 

Rohit

Kohli

SDP

Rahul

Sky

Jadeja

Ashwin

Shami

Bumrah

Siraj

Iyer can play in place of sky

Ya Kuldeep is better but for God's sake we benched Shami ...I think Kuldeep is less valuable than shami

Edited by straighttalk
3 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I dont understand some of you guys.we have seen our bowlers dominate 7 games in a row and you are intent one dropping one of them.If and its a BIG If Hardik is fit (and he can bowl)then he will replace either Iyer or SKY because playing with just 5 bowlers is still a massive risk.

And playing with 5 batsmen?

18 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

definitely.5 batsmen,2 all rounders,4 genuine lineup destroying bowlers is the way to go.I am confident we can defend even 250 against the best teams .

I'll make it 5 batsmen and 3 all rounders. A matter of choice. 

That was Rohit's preference as well untill pandya got injured