Vidit Gujrathi, Vaishali R claim titles at FIDE Grand Swiss chess event; seal spots at Candidates tournament

Gollum

LINK

More big news. Vidit joins Pragg in men's candidates, Gukesh or Arjun may join, let's see.

Vaishali, who is Pragg's sister, wins the women's event.

Brother and sister in candidates. Who knows both may become world champs in their respective divisions. Vaishali also very close to GM title, narrowly missed it in the Swiss, needed a win in her final round but drew.

Edited by Gollum

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

I’m looking forward to the Praggnanandhaa vs Nepomniatchchi game. 

Other boards would have blitzed out 10 moves by the time these two write their names on the team sheet.

Opposite no? These two blitz out while others write names on their sheets....

During the recent world championship finals between Pragg and Carlsen I came to know that Pragg is Carlsen's father. The chat window of Chess24 youtube live stream was full of "Pragg is Carlsen's father"  messages. Pragg must be a proud father for having one of the greatest chess players as his son.

Now want Gukesh to qualify.

With Carlsen not interested in World title anymore....I think any of the candidates (Barring Nepo) will fancy their chance against Ding Liren.

Note: Liren only qualified for the Finals due to Carlsen's withdrawal. Nepo also choked big time in that championship.

5 hours ago, nikrulz said:

Now want Gukesh to qualify.

With Carlsen not interested in World title anymore....I think any of the candidates (Barring Nepo) will fancy their chance against Ding Liren.

Note: Liren only qualified for the Finals due to Carlsen's withdrawal. Nepo also choked big time in that championship.

Nepo always chokes in these kind of tournaments. His game works when he is playing different players within the same tournament but when it is the same opponent over a large number of games, he runs out of steam in later games. 

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

As much as I want one of the Indians to reclaim the crown, a world champ won't be respected as long as Magnus is active. Maybe Caruana will get some respect but not the others. 

Respected by whom?

This is not the same Magnus as a few years ago. Pragg ran him close in the FIDE WC.

And if he doesn't want to compete, what is one to do?

It is actually the other way around, if Magnus still wants to be considered the best player atm, he should compete.

That said he is an all time great.