U19 WC 2024 Discussion thread

rkt.india

57 minutes ago, nsareen said:

let’s not be over critical of the boys, we need to cut some slack.. if it’s about choking in pressure games, let’s not forget the big contingent of team management who makes the decisions for these boys, they don’t have much autonomy at this level, they would have surely been told to curb instincts and play timidly till mid innings and that doesn’t always go well in crunch situations and against a quality bowling attack.. 

Irrespective it’s a collective failure and much of it should be attributed to pathetic preparations, selections and strategies by team management, if you don’t play players according to situations how can you expect the outcomes to be in your favour, till the semis it worked because every team they faced had 1 at the most 2 good bowlers, australia had 4 good seamers and 1 good spinner, chasing above 5 RPO never would have been easy, traditionally benoni has been a 1st batting wicket, out of 15 odd matches team batting  1st have won 10-12 of them.. enough said poor planning was faulty, boys are going to use this to improve from here on, i wouldn’t be surprised if a few of them become seriously good players and giants in the coming 3-5 years..

I would be hugely surprised. saharan is a tuk-tuker that looks like a poor man's version of unmukt. musheer, who bats in top order and bowls spin, is a diluted version of aparajith. only one who looks promising is sachin (das)

Edited by Vijy
6 hours ago, Vijy said:

I would be hugely surprised. saharan is a tuk-tuker that looks like a poor man's version of unmukt. musheer, who bats in top order and bowls spin, is a diluted version of aparajith. only one who looks promising is sachin (das)

The more I see it, more he reminds me of Priyam Garg.

Unmukt atleast has range of strokes, Uday doesn't have any power at all.

5 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

He can add power strokes later if he has other part of his game in order. Sometimes not having all the talent while come thru the ranks is a blessing as it makes you work harder.

Unmukt is prime example, he thought he arrived when he won that world cup.Now look where he and Aparajith have ended up.

Under19 has ruined more Indian players than it helped in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He can add power strokes later if he has other part of his game in order. Sometimes not having all the talent while come thru the ranks is a blessing as it makes you work harder.

Unmukt is prime example, he thought he arrived when he won that world cup.Now look where he and Aparajith have ended up.

Hyped players mostly lose the track, while those who flow under the radar are able to keep themselves in game.

Post 2018 U19 WC Nagarkoti,Mavi, Shaw & Gill were hot property and everyone was talking about them.

While Anukul Roy and Abhishek Sharma flew under the radar...and are now performing quite well for their respective states, except Gill other 3 are just out of existence. Nagarkoti specially is only posting insta stories.

42 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Hyped players mostly lose the track, while those who flow under the radar are able to keep themselves in game.

Post 2018 U19 WC Nagarkoti,Mavi, Shaw & Gill were hot property and everyone was talking about them.

While Anukul Roy and Abhishek Sharma flew under the radar...and are now performing quite well for their respective states, except Gill other 3 are just out of existence. Nagarkoti specially is only posting insta stories.

IMO you need a strong family support or you need to be self driven like Kohli/Sachin.

These youngsters need help from the system too.I have no idea which genius suggested to Chand to write a book.

Did Dravid before and now Laxman  doing anything to prepare these guys for life ahead.

Shaw is another guy who has talent but he seems to have lost it at 24 with his beer belly and utter disregard to fitness.

Edited by putrevus
6 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Priyam Garg is utter trash. Uday atleast stepped up in the crucial semi final. That guy went missing in all the crucial games. Captaincy was pathetic too. He had a decen tbowling unit like Kartik Tyagi, Bishnoi at his disposal.

39 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Under-19 just gives exposure. It is upto individuals to make the most of it. Boult and Southee opened the bowling in the under-19 match in 2006. They became NZ bowling pair for a very long time. Hazlewood, Travis head, Steve Smith, Kane williamson, Kohli, Babar, Rohit, Pujara, Dhawan, Yuvraj, Pant, Kishan, KL Rahul, Agarwal, Gill, Jaiswal were all under-19 products. Not everyone was going to make it big.

25 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Abhishek Sharma,needs to bowl more otherwise he adds no value with lack of power upfront

25 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Under-19 just gives exposure. It is upto individuals to make the most of it. Boult and Southee opened the bowling in the under-19 match in 2006. They became NZ bowling pair for a very long time. Hazlewood, Travis head, Steve Smith, Kane williamson, Kohli, Babar, Rohit, Pujara, Dhawan, Yuvraj, Pant, Kishan, KL Rahul, Agarwal, Gill, Jaiswal were all under-19 products. Not everyone was going to make it big.

It is always upto players. Under-19 is very impressionable age where kids can make lot of mistakes.

Coaches play a very important role in their development.They must be like father figures to guide these youngsters.

The names you have mentioned most of them except few were before Under 19 became very big.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

It is always upto players. Under-19 is very impressionable age where kids can make lot of mistakes.

Coaches play a very important role in their development.They must be like father figures to guide these youngsters.

The names you have mentioned most of them except few were before Under 19 became very big.

Steve SMith was a bowler. Later he developed himself into a bowler. THey were barely 17 or 18. Harry Brook was very young. He was the highest run getter for ENgland. Biggest example is Arshdeep who was given just one chance to bowl in 2018 edition. Mavi, Nagarkoti, Ishan were stars. Arshdeep joined IPL. Had a good season. WOrked his way into national side. Others are nowhere to be seen. 

Edited by vvvslaxman
8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Steve SMith was a bowler. Later he developed himself into a bowler. THey were barely 17 or 18. Harry Brook was very young. He was the highest run getter for ENgland. Biggest example is Arshdeep who was given just one chance to bowl in 2018 edition. Mavi, Nagarkoti, Ishan were stars. Arshdeep joined IPL. Had a good season. WOrked his way into national side. Others are nowhere to be seen. 

what is your point?

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

what is your point?

You have to use your exposure and develop not take things for granted. Tanmay srivastava was the bes tbatsman in Kohli batch. He is nowhere to be found now.  Iqbal abdulla and Jadeja both had great world cup from the same batch. One developed into a fine test all rounder. One disappeared. 

7 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

You have to use your exposure and develop not take things for granted. Tanmay srivastava was the bes tbatsman in Kohli batch. He is nowhere to be found now.  Iqbal abdulla and Jadeja both had great world cup from the same batch. One developed into a fine test all rounder. One disappeared. 

Luck also plays a big role.

Jadeja was groomed by Warne first, later MSD took him under his wings and despite of his mediocrity at the earlier stages. He backed him relentlessly.

Iqbal Abdullah played few games for RCB, was bang average and then dropped. 

21 hours ago, Vijy said:

It’ll be up to them from here on, all i said was i wouldn’t be surprised,

Just sharing a curious observation from past, i’ve observed teams who have lost in the knockouts tend to develop more players  ) , will in comparison of the recent teams who have won the title , Unmukt chand’s team hardly anyone represents india(vihari maybe) or had a long term, Shawl’s team Shaw,Gill went on to represent india from playing Xi rest only a few matches (mavi) or from non playing Xi(arshdeep) till domestics and IPL, Dhull’s team nobody went on to represent india only till India A, on the other hand teams who lost in the knockouts ( jaiswal, tilak, jurel, bishnoi , pant, kishan, sarfraz, samson, avesh, khaleel, kuldeep, washington, rohit, piyush, shikhar, pujara, rahul, umadkat, mayank…) Seems like failure in knockouts has given more players than the teams who have won :)

1 hour ago, nsareen said:

It’ll be up to them from here on, all i said was i wouldn’t be surprised,

Just sharing a curious observation from past, i’ve observed teams who have lost in the knockouts tend to develop more players  ) , will in comparison of the recent teams who have won the title , Unmukt chand’s team hardly anyone represents india(vihari maybe) or had a long term, Shawl’s team Shaw,Gill went on to represent india from playing Xi rest only a few matches (mavi) or from non playing Xi(arshdeep) till domestics and IPL, Dhull’s team nobody went on to represent india only till India A, on the other hand teams who lost in the knockouts ( jaiswal, tilak, jurel, bishnoi , pant, kishan, sarfraz, samson, avesh, khaleel, kuldeep, washington, rohit, piyush, shikhar, pujara, rahul, umadkat, mayank…) Seems like failure in knockouts has given more players than the teams who have won :)

let's hope this continues. but many of the players who were KOed in U19 were recognized to be high quality players, unlike most from this batch

10 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Priyam Garg is utter trash. Uday atleast stepped up in the crucial semi final. That guy went missing in all the crucial games. Captaincy was pathetic too. He had a decen tbowling unit like Kartik Tyagi, Bishnoi at his disposal.

musheer is even worse than uday.

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Not everyone is perfect or self driven.They are 18 year old kids, everyone cannot be Kohli or Jadeja .Steve Smith is complete anomaly, there is no one like him in history of cricket.

Ashwin had more batting talent than Jadeja.Where is Ashwin now.

2018 India had best fast bowling attack  among all teams .How many have played for India senior team and is there  any future for those kids.

It happens more in India than other countries.These kids are not getting proper guidance, BCCI needs to create some kind of support structure for these kids.

That is where Dravid and Laxman play such vital roles as coaches . It is their responsibility to talk to BCCI and set up a support structure to guide them.

90% of these players may never be good enough to play for Indian senior team. It is the 10% we need to worry about and protect.

Edited by putrevus
16 hours ago, putrevus said:

Not everyone is perfect or self driven.They are 18 year old kids, everyone cannot be Kohli or Jadeja .Steve Smith is complete anomaly, there is no one like him in history of cricket.

Ashwin had more batting talent than Jadeja.Where is Ashwin now.

2018 India had best fast bowling attack  among all teams .How many have played for India senior team and is there  any future for those kids.

It happens more in India than other countries.These kids are not getting proper guidance, BCCI needs to create some kind of support structure for these kids.

That is where Dravid and Laxman play such vital roles as coaches . It is their responsibility to talk to BCCI and set up a support structure to guide them.

90% of these players may never be good enough to play for Indian senior team. It is the 10% we need to worry about and protect.

There is no system for developing players anywhere in cricket world where players come ready for international cricket. They all have to learn on the job and go through the curve. Yes outliers who are earmrked for stardom exist but the system has to develop players who are not obvious superstars. 

4 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

There is no system for developing players anywhere in cricket world where players come ready for international cricket. They all have to learn on the job and go through the curve. Yes outliers who are earmrked for stardom exist but the system has to develop players who are not obvious superstars. 

I am not talking about getting these players ready for international cricket,

I am talking playing developing thru the ranks and making progress so they can become international players in 3 to 4 years after their under 19s.

But many of these players are not making this progress, they are getting lost in between their under 19 and them becoming international players.

That is where system needs to be setup to guide these players both on and off the field. Which genius advised Unmukt chand that it was okay to write a book.