Ranking the top 10 ODI pacers for India

Majestic

Effectiveness, consistency, longevity, all factors need to be considered. Here we go:

Jasprit Bumrah

Mohammad Shami

Kapil Dev

Zaheer Khan

Javagal Srinath

Ajit Agarkar

Irfan Pathan 

Mohammad Siraj

Ashish Nehra

Venkatesh Prasad

Rest - Bhuvaneshwar, Prabhakar, Ishant.

Edited by Majestic
5 minutes ago, Lord said:

Bumrah

Shami

Zak

Kapil

Srinath

Irfan

Agarkar

Siraj

Nehra

Munaf

yeah.....Kapil and Zaheer won a WC - Kapil in England vs the mighty Windies at that time stronger in bowling than the 2003 Aussies.

and Bumrah and Shami?

1 hour ago, AKane said:

yeah.....Kapil and Zaheer won a WC - Kapil in England vs the mighty Windies at that time stronger in bowling than the 2003 Aussies.

and Bumrah and Shami?

If bumrah won a world cup conceding 60 runs in low scoring semi and finals matches he would be called a choker that needed his teamates to bail him out. The bumrah haters are unreal amongst indian fans.

46 minutes ago, TellTheTruth said:

If bumrah won a world cup conceding 60 runs in low scoring semi and finals matches he would be called a choker that needed his teamates to bail him out. The bumrah haters are unreal amongst indian fans.

If... if ... if....

But Bumrah did not win a WC. Zero and counting.

You are calling somebody a choker - I am just saying zero and counting

Admittedly I am more a Kapil Dev fan though.....

38 minutes ago, AKane said:

If... if ... if....

But Bumrah did not win a WC. Zero and counting.

You are calling somebody a choker - I am just saying zero and counting

Admittedly I am more a Kapil Dev fan though.....

Maybe I misunderstood your post but it sounded like you implied Zaheer was better than bumrah and shami due to him winning a world cup. do you think zaheer is better than dale steyn and curtly ambrose as well?

I guess what i mean to say is that I can see rating kapil ahead of bumrah and shami based on a world cup but Zaheers career was pretty average outside of a 3-4 years. Even in the world cup he wasnt as good as people remembered him IMO. I still have him rated 4th all time indian pace bowlers though.

Edited by TellTheTruth
1 hour ago, harpicP said:

Bumrah changed India's fast bowling identity.

You should have seen India's pace bowling before Kapil.... laughable or none. Had to start from scratch.

Kapil Dev for me. Still wonder about the claim of his lack of pace... no speed guns those days but look at these deliveries. No celebrations.... pure class.

1 hour ago, harpicP said:

As an overall player kapil. He Was good with bat too. He had no support. 

Trust me - with neutral umps and DRS Kapil would have a lot more wickets in both tests and ODIS. 

Fine, fine fielder too. And tremendous stamina - could bowl for hours at a stretch.

Edited by AKane
18 minutes ago, AKane said:

You should have seen India's pace bowling before Kapil.... laughable or none. Had to start from scratch.

Kapil Dev for me. Still remember those yorkers in ODIs.

Trust me - with neutral umps and DRS Kapil would have a lot more wickets in both tests and ODIS. 

Fine, fine fielder too. And tremendous stamina - could bowl for hours at a stretch.

I an quite positive if imran and kapil swapped teams, I genuinely believe kapil would have won just as much with 80s to early 90s pak team. 

Perhaps 2 world cups. 

He also doesn't go missing in crucial games. 

Kapil was let down in tests and odi by weak bowling support. 

In saying that a case could be made for Hadlee too. Had zero support. I would put hadlew above both

23 hours ago, Majestic said:

Effectiveness, consistency, longevity, all factors need to be considered. Here we go:

Jasprit Bumrah

Mohammad Shami

Kapil Dev

Zaheer Khan

Javagal Srinath

Ajit Agarkar

Irfan Pathan 

Mohammad Siraj

Ashish Nehra

Venkatesh Prasad

Rest - Bhuvaneshwar, Prabhakar, Ishant.

I like this list and agree with this ranking. 

3 hours ago, rish said:

Can someone post avgs and S/R..I believe Shami would have the least of both, followed by Bumrah and I am sure Agarkar is in the top 5.He took 288 wkts in 188 macthes.Thats insane.

Agarkar averages around 27. He is very underrated. 

Nehra is 28. But with Nehra, if you look at their averages in crucial games, kos and world cups it's under 23. He was very good. 

4 hours ago, harpicP said:

Agarkar averages around 27. He is very underrated. 

Nehra is 28. But with Nehra, if you look at their averages in crucial games, kos and world cups it's under 23. He was very good. 

Agarkar's problem is eocnomy. It's pretty high for his time. He was surely a wicket taker but guys like Zaheer came after him and played in more batting friendly era but ended up with better economy. 

Agarkar would be having an economy around 6 if he played in current era.

50 minutes ago, cricketfan28 said:

0 icc trophies topping the list, doesn't look right.

Did you not get the memo my man? If we win, it is the hero bowlers. If we lose it is a team game.

Now this is T20s.... but still....Even when we score 151 or even  168 and fail to take a single wicket in defeat, the coach says we should have scored 10 or 15 more runs (in the case of 168). He will not say we should have take one - ONE - wicket. He will lay it off on the batsmen. 

Edited by AKane
29 minutes ago, AKane said:

Did you not get the memo my man? If we win, it is the hero bowlers. If we lose it is a team game.

Now this is T20s.... but still....Even when we score 151 or even  168 and fail to take a single wicket in defeat, the coach says we should have scored 10 or 15 more runs (in the case of 168). He will not say we should have take one - ONE - wicket. He will lay it off on the 

Nehra zahher are more clutch than bumrah shami. 

Bumrah shami are great bowlers but they have choked or taken turns in choking in finals on multiple occasions now. 

I guess not winning the toss made a difference but still for the fabled peak attack who are the Michael Holding and Roberts of this era, they have failed in 2017, 2019 ( shami should have played), 2023 in odi icc events. In semis and finals. 

In the 2 wtc finals, once bumrah went missing and once shami/siraj. 

What are they so scared off? Fgs. Need to be calm. Never seen such high quality bowlers so jittery in finals lmao. 

In t20 I will give them a pass as it's generally a lottery type format but again in semis we failed. Failed to get a  single wicket once and we failed miserably in group stages. 

Also 2014 choke and 2016 choke. 

Although 2014 bowling shami dint play I suppose. 

In 2016 bumrah choke dhard albeit he was new. Nehra had an economy of 6 and bowled really well. Again in 2017 harpic bandya and bhuoobi kumar owned our bumrah who gave away 68 runs

Bhuvi had an economy of 4.5 and got 1 wicket. 

Edited by harpicP