Ajay Jadeja slams Team India management over treatment meted out to Ishan Kishan: 'Was he really that tired?'

Ajay Jadeja slams Team India management over treatment meted out to Ishan Kishan: 'Was he really that tired?'

Asecond-string Indian team, under the leadership of Suryakumar Yadav, registered a convincing win in the T20I series against Australia. The hosts did impress many with their sublime performances but there were some decisions made by the Indian team management that baffled many. Not retaining wicketkeeper Ishan Kishan in the final two T20Is against Australia was one such decision that raised a few eyebrows. Former India cricketer Ajay Jadeja recently talked about Kishan’s omission. Jadeja, while talking to Sports Tak, stated that Kishan should be given a consistent run. The ex-India cricketer even went on to question if Kishan was so tired that he was rested after only three T20Is against world champions Australia.

“There was a series right after the World Cup. Ishan Kishan played three matches and went home. Was he really that tired after three matches that he needed rest? He didn’t even play a lot of games at the World Cup. He deserved his spot in the playing XI for the first few World Cup matches. How many Indian players have scored a double century on a good day?” Jadeja asked.

“Ishan Kishan didn’t even play the entire five-match T20I series against Australia. He was sent home after three matches to rest. So, if this is going to continue, how will you ensure that he is fully ready? Will you keep him in on trial all the time? In the last two years, how many games has he played? This problem of Indian cricket is not of today, it is very old that we don’t select (players) but reject them,” Jadeja added.

Kishan kicked off the opening T20I against Australia on a promising note having scored a fine half-century. The India wicketkeeper’s spectacular knock of 39-ball 58 helped the hosts chase a mammoth total of 209 in the first T20I.

Kishan carried forward the promising form in the next T20I with a phenomenal knock of 32-ball 52. India had clinched an emphatic victory by 44 runs in the second fixture of the series. Kishan’s brilliant run, however, came to an end in the third game as he was dismissed for a duck. Team India had gone on to concede a five-wicket defeat in that fixture.

Replacing Kishan in India’s playing XI in the last two matches, 30-year-old Jitesh Sharma seemed quite impressive with the bat. Sharma scored 35 and 24 in the fourth and fifth T20I respectively. Kishan’s exclusion, however, had no bearing on Team India’s performances as the hosts secured two wins in the last two matches to seal the T20I series 4-1.

20 hours ago, wanted_desi said:

Jitesh > Ishan (T20)

KL > IShan (ODI)

Pant > IShan (Test)

I don't think Ishan would be the first choice moving forward in any format. 

Biggest problem is he is an opener...and there is a big traffic jam at the top. KL moved down the order just to use that vaccum.

Rohit

Jaiswal

Gaekwad

Virat

Gill

Simply no space, even if Rohit & Virat retires .. Gill & Jaiswal will take top positions and Gaekwad is not far behind, then there is Dhull as well.