WI Chief berates big 3 to do more for Test cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/cricket-west-indies-chief-grave-calls-on-india-australia-and-england-to-do-more-for-test-cricket-1416797

Not saying I dont agree with him. Countries like WI, SA and NZ cannot sustain their finances with just Test cricket and within 5 years they will opt out of playing tests all together. Then there's no point in test cricket with 4 teams. I think then BCCI will also drop out and Pak as well. Which will leave an exhibition Ashes series with Eng/Aus once in a while.

38 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Well then, be ready for the death of Test cricket within the next decade.

It's already dead - a boutique format only played seriously by the Big 3.

HawkEye alone costs 300,000 - 500,000 USD per match(for 5 days)

Then you look at the value of a smaller board, say SLC, and it's broadcast rights deal and it's ridiculously low(believed to be around 23 to 25 million USD for 4 years of bilateral cricket, if not less)

There's no chance of BCCI sharing an even bigger share of the ICC pie with smaller boards .

They will simply out of ICC events or make sure ICC events are fewer in the future.

I've suggested this for a while. 

If Test cricket needs to even survive, they should look at the cost side of things. 

They can try getting rid of Hawk Eye/DRS for all Tests so that smaller boards can host matches.

But then the quality of the TV product will diminish and even the existing consumers will abandon Test cricket. 

It's a doomed format whichever way we look at it 

ODIs have a greater chance of surviving if everyone wasn't so bent on pushing it to the margins. 

, Grave says, should include Australia. "As an example of this is that CWI has spent over 2 million dollars sending teams to Australia in the last four months and whilst CA have received all the economic benefits from those series, we've seen zero dollars back. Is that really fair, reasonable and sustainable?"

Other than test teams what teams has WI sent to Australia. I thought expenses are paid by host team and also given share of the revenue?

15 minutes ago, putrevus said:

, Grave says, should include Australia. "As an example of this is that CWI has spent over 2 million dollars sending teams to Australia in the last four months and whilst CA have received all the economic benefits from those series, we've seen zero dollars back. Is that really fair, reasonable and sustainable?"

Other than test teams what teams has WI sent to Australia. I thought expenses are paid by host team and also given share of the revenue?

womens team and other squads too im guessing- i think the cost he's referring to is the flight costs for the squad

18 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Revenue belongs to host teams.

Just now, LordPrabhzy said:

womens team and other squads too im guessing- i think the cost he's referring to is the flight costs for the squad

But are they not getting paid by ACB for touring Australia. Why would any team tour otherwise.

One more thing is CWI has killed itself by corrpution and mismanagement. They cannot be expecting bailouts everytime.

It is not fair for other teams to invest their prime summer slots for non competitive games.

There is no easy solution.CWI is making money thru its t20 league and it needs to reinvest it in grass roots levels. Make stadiums more accessible.

Tests are dead,but I would give smaller countries all the revenue they want,and see if they can rejuvenate it,India will take a hit but but there is no other alternative. After that just pull down the curtains,and let aus eng play it.

On top of that icc forced hawkeye on to cricket ,which only sucks more money out of cricket which could have been used otherwise,I am sure icc Bosses got their kickbacks .

1 hour ago, MediumPacer said:

Tests are dead,but I would give smaller countries all the revenue they want,and see if they can rejuvenate it,India will take a hit but but there is no other alternative. After that just pull down the curtains,and let aus eng play it.

On top of that icc forced hawkeye on to cricket ,which only sucks more money out of cricket which could have been used otherwise,I am sure icc Bosses got their kickbacks .

How would teams challenge umpire's decisions if there is no Hawkeye.whether ICC bosses got kickbacks is a secondary question.

Edited by putrevus
18 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

This.  Making Tests ridiculously expensive and then blaming smaller boards for giving up on the format is disingenuous. 

It's not a format that's going to attract new viewers and revenue streams .

CSA did the right thing by investing in SA20.

Their men's team could not get a proper sponsor for 2 years and their bilateral cricket rights value was declining with every new cycle. 

Now they have a Betway sponsorship in addition to ViaCom paying 30 million USD for 10 years straight. 

They'd be foolish not to focus on SA20 over away Test series. 

6 minutes ago, goose said:

the income and costs of a test series used to be split equally between the two boards.

Splitting revenue means wi will lose home series revenue by half and  only look forward for touring eng,aus,ind,and if these teams don't invite them then they lose out.

25 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

It's too expensive and hawkeye can be tampered with.

So? ICC doles out revenue sharing to each team. WI hosts how many tests and odis per year?  Five to Eight test and how many odis.

How much revenue those caribean countries generate via tourism during those test series.

2.4 million per year should be okay for any team.

Broadcasters need to share some cost too.

Hawkeye is not the reason for CWI's economic woes.

Edited by putrevus
13 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

What's the point of wasting money on Hawkeye when most cricket boards are struggling financially.

Why would you want to take the game back to rock age.

As I said earlier. There is no easy solution. Guys like, Worrell, Lloyd and Richards  worked hard to remove regionalism from the West Indies.WI is very hard to gauge. Too much regional politcs.

When was last time Bourda hosted a test match against India or any other team.It was a must visit for Indian team from 60s to 2000s.

Maybe they should go their seperate ways.

Edited by putrevus
8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Why would you want to take the game back to rock age.

As I said earlier. There is no easy solution. Guys like, Worrell, Lloyd and Richards  worked hard to remove regionalism from the West Indies.WI is very hard to gauge. Too much regional politcs.

When was last time Bourda hosted a test match against India or any other team.It was a must visit for Indian team from 60s to 2000s.

Maybe they should go their seperate ways.

Money was always a problem for wi,but they produced results despite that.

Ecb and co should'nt have put restrictions on bouncers to counter them ,even today if they do away with helmets and no limit on bouncers wi will again be a powerful team,their pace attack has been neutered because of these changes.

5 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

Money was always a problem for wi,but they produced results despite that.

Ecb and co should'nt have put restrictions on bouncers to counter them ,even today if they do away with helmets and no limit on bouncers wi will again be a powerful team,their pace attack has been neutered because of these changes.

You are correct , money was always an issue. But during that time  till 90s WI was also a feeder system for the English counties.WI had so much talent.Public demand for tours were high.So WI tour was on top of agenda for every team.

CWI thought it was their birth right to have great talent without any infrastructure.Are the newer generation kids not playing cricket anymore.

WI is very complicated issue. This guy needs to fix  his house first.CWI has received ample of funds and time from all major teams.