WI Chief berates big 3 to do more for Test cricket

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You are correct , money was always an issue. But during that time  till 90s WI was also a feeder system for the English counties.WI had so much talent.Public demand for tours were high.So WI tour was on top of agenda for every team.

CWI thought it was their birth right to have great talent without any infrastructure.Are the newer generation kids not playing cricket anymore.

WI is very complicated issue. This guy needs to fix  his house first.CWI has received ample of funds and time from all major teams.

As a lover of Test cricket and sad that India has started to deprioritise it- I am aware a 5 day format brings challenges to today's generation of audience who has grown up on T20 leagues.

a sport to survive needs a big viewership generated revenue model ( like India) or a popularity at a global scale ( Football)- cricket outside of the Big 3 and Pak doesnt have this. Smaller boards do npt egenrate this much revenue simply due the target audience for cricket is too small and they compete in other sports which for indians doesnt seem like a value add ( i mean look at the number of obsessive shameless fans here who think cricket is be all and end all), so without more revenue from BCCI and ICC to continue this format why would they?

I think WI, SA, NZ and SL will first give up Test cricket as a board due to financial unsustainability

then Pak/Bangladesh will also- Afg and Ire wont even bother playing it anymore

and then it will be just India Aus and Eng left- do indian fans want to keep seeing the same test series home and away? they will get bored too and then BCCI will push for a longer IPL window which means international tours get curtailed even for whiteball cricket

10 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

As a lover of Test cricket and sad that India has started to deprioritise it- I am aware a 5 day format brings challenges to today's generation of audience who has grown up on T20 leagues.

a sport to survive needs a big viewership generated revenue model ( like India) or a popularity at a global scale ( Football)- cricket outside of the Big 3 and Pak doesnt have this. Smaller boards do npt egenrate this much revenue simply due the target audience for cricket is too small and they compete in other sports which for indians doesnt seem like a value add ( i mean look at the number of obsessive shameless fans here who think cricket is be all and end all), so without more revenue from BCCI and ICC to continue this format why would they?

I think WI, SA, NZ and SL will first give up Test cricket as a board due to financial unsustainability

and then it will be just India Aus and Eng left- do indian fans want to keep seeing the same test series home and away? they will get bored too and then BCCI will push for a longer IPL window which means international tours get curtailed even for whiteball cricket

Why would they give up tests now when they are subsidizing it,how much did they make back in the day? Why didn't they give it up back then?

6 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Question to you. I love test cricket over all other formats too.

How has India depriotised the test cricket.They play most test matches home and away.

See only two teams have enjoyed a fixed home seasons.England and Australia.All other teams have been forced to cater their home season needs. WI was big hit in 1980s and 90s. So these two teams kept playing them very frequently.Now they don't generate any buzz , they don't want WI to play.

India just toured WI recently. 

Why do small boards expect bailouts from other teams everytime. Are they doing enough on their end should be the question which needs to be asked first.

No one is stopping WI to play Pakistan but they don't want to do it as it might not generate revenue from their networks.

So every small team want to play only big three.

Blaming big  three is not the solution.

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How has India depriotised the test cricket.They play most test matches home and away.

Just playing matches doesn't mean BCCI's priority is Tests- what have they done to be a powerhouse in Test cricket? Selections are based on IPL, our players dont play forst class cricket to hone their long format skills- we are not consistently winning series in SENA, we only win home tests on landmines at home.

IPL is BCCI's priority and I want them to admit it and not give false impressions that they love Tests. The only reason boards apart from big 3 are making money is because India tours. T20 format and its financial gain will not make any smaller boards prioritise red ball cricket and rightly so as there is no money ( that is if they aren't getting more shares from ICC). 

The problem is cricket is not a global sport- no one in the world plays or wants to play this gilli danda. So obv there will come a time when T20 leagues which are really a form of entertainment ( not a professional sport) gives boards more money so why would anyone play tests. A format cant just survive with 3 countries playing

23 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Just playing matches doesn't mean BCCI's priority is Tests- what have they done to be a powerhouse in Test cricket? Selections are based on IPL, our players dont play forst class cricket to hone their long format skills- we are not consistently winning series in SENA, we only win home tests on landmines at home.

IPL is BCCI's priority and I want them to admit it and not give false impressions that they love Tests. The only reason boards apart from big 3 are making money is because India tours. T20 format and its financial gain will not make any smaller boards prioritise red ball cricket and rightly so as there is no money ( that is if they aren't getting more shares from ICC). 

The problem is cricket is not a global sport- no one in the world plays or wants to play this gilli danda. So obv there will come a time when T20 leagues which are really a form of entertainment ( not a professional sport) gives boards more money so why would anyone play tests. A format cant just survive with 3 countries playing

How many teams play baseball  ,even then USA struggle to win baseball wc or classic.

How about American football ,Aussie rules or rugby.

Which sport is that popular ?

25 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

You are all over the place. You are talking about results and India selection policies. How is that related to smaller board's problems.

IPL should be priority of BCCI.But BCCI is the only team which is not playing their t20 league during their cricketing season. It is paying the domestic cricketers more and players like Prassidh who has played only two tests and still got his surgery done at BCCI's cost.

BCCI is giving pensions to players and even gave one time payments to ex-cricketers.BCCI has many flaws but it is still doing some things right for the players.

You are saying cricket is not a global sport and then blaming BCCI or big three for it.You cannot keep putting band aid of giving money to small boards and let them mismange funds.

There is no quick fix for this. When WI was strong, even smaller teams were playing them was a big draw .

Edited by putrevus
26 minutes ago, putrevus said:

You are all over the place. You are talking about results and India selection policies. How is that related to smaller board's problems.

IPL should be priority of BCCI.But BCCI is the only team which is not playing their t20 league during their cricketing season. It is paying the domestic cricketers more and players like Prassidh who has played only two tests and still got his surgery done at BCCI's cost.

BCCI is giving pensions to players and even gave one time payments to ex-cricketers.BCCI has many flaws but it is still doing some things right for the players.

You are saying cricket is not a global sport and then blaming BCCI or big three for it.You cannot keep putting band aid of giving money to small boards and let them mismange funds.

There is no quick fix for this. When WI was strong, even smaller teams were playing them was a big draw .

You asked me how BCCI doesn't not prioritise Tests.. i gave my view on that aspect. If you make IPL the priority then the actions needed to develop a good test side suffers- thats my view but for others the IPL should be the pinnacle for BCCI. Thats fine but then be ready for the sport to be decimated as a whole across the world as every countries now started T20 leagues- so why would fans outside of India bore themselves with a 5 day test or even a whole day ODI. BCCI can generate money to pay players well due to the market only in India for cricket and that's fine as thats one of the many financial benefits of the IPL.

My point is the sport isn't popular enough or a big enough market for smaller boards to prioritise test cricket and eventually the format will die off. someone else said about American sports- Americans dont play major global sports and their internal market is very big for them to sustain NBA/NFL  leagues without the need for international matches to that extent- that's why they only play Basketball and Ice hockey during Olympics. It may be the case that over the next many years cricket will end up being played only in India with a year long IPL

Windies can sustain itself...  They get decent revenue & profits thanks to CPL & England tours there frequently which is massive for the islands economically with tourism & everything.  Biggest tour for them. 

India brings viewership...  But no tourism. 

India should be hosting & touring teams like Zim more often.  They are a test playing nation & I don't know when was the last time we played tests. 

Decent enough team. 

Dutch are reasonable for ODI/T20 stuff. 

These board chiefs are corrupt political appointments and easiest thing they can do is blame bigger cricket boards for their own thuggery, incite emotions of fans and get away.

Other day Ranatunga was blaming India and Jay Shah for SLC problems while in reality these guys keep gulping all the money coming from India.

Edited by Number
1 hour ago, LordPrabhzy said:

You asked me how BCCI doesn't not prioritise Tests.. i gave my view on that aspect. If you make IPL the priority then the actions needed to develop a good test side suffers- thats my view but for others the IPL should be the pinnacle for BCCI. Thats fine but then be ready for the sport to be decimated as a whole across the world as every countries now started T20 leagues- so why would fans outside of India bore themselves with a 5 day test or even a whole day ODI. BCCI can generate money to pay players well due to the market only in India for cricket and that's fine as thats one of the many financial benefits of the IPL.

My point is the sport isn't popular enough or a big enough market for smaller boards to prioritise test cricket and eventually the format will die off. someone else said about American sports- Americans dont play major global sports and their internal market is very big for them to sustain NBA/NFL  leagues without the need for international matches to that extent- that's why they only play Basketball and Ice hockey during Olympics. It may be the case that over the next many years cricket will end up being played only in India with a year long IPL

By playing IPL during summer when there is not much cricket being played anywhere, BCCI is not diminishing anything.It is still giving FC cricket its due.BCCI is still  holding all zonal trophies.What exactly has BCCI done where they have not given important to their domestic setup .Selection issues or not winning trophies does not mean BCCI does not care about test cricket.

IPL is not pinnacle for anything, even BCCI understands that very well. IPL needs international cricket and international stars are what makes IPL popular.So Ashes or world cup stars are also very important for IPL. 

BCCI cannot create players and sometimes people tend to forget that fact.

How many people in India these days will go to matches and watch test cricket for all five days in non traditional venues.

That is one area which BCCI needs to improve.

BTW NBA is a snooze fest for 81 games before post season matches, MLB which is baseball does exist outside east coast unless their team are in contentions is again a big bore for 161 games.

Only NFL matches are important as they play only 17 regular season matches.

BCCI or big three do not have power to dictate what CWI  or smaller boards do internally  but you are asking them to keep giving them money without any accounting.

Do you think this CWI guy is worried about test cricket or Cricket in general.

He is worried about  the money he can get from ICC and other boards. PCB is another example, they only want to play big three so they can fill their own coffers.

Edited by putrevus
16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

By playing IPL during summer when there is not much cricket being played anywhere,

This is a very important point esp for India.

IPL matches played in the evening in April/May do not interrupt cricket as nobody plays day cricket during the heat of Apr/May anyways.

In England during Apr/May there is not much cricket played as it is still early/mid spring. I don't know the climate of Aus/NZ but the Caribbean tourism high season is Nov-Apr and it does get hot/humid there in Apr/May too.

Not sure about the weather in NZ/Aus/SA during Apr/May.

8 hours ago, AKane said:

Not sure about the weather in NZ/Aus/SA during Apr/May.

In Australia, cricket could not be played, its Autumn/Winter time.

Not to mention, AFL and Rugby dominate the calendar in Australia. Cricket is really a distant 3rd sport compared to them.

Cricket is only followed in Australia from Nov to Feb and thats only because there is no AFL and Rugby.

4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

In Australia, cricket could not be played, its Autumn/Winter time.

Not to mention, AFL and Rugby dominate the calendar in Australia. Cricket is really a distant 3rd sport compared to them.

Cricket is only followed in Australia from Nov to Feb and thats only because there is no AFL and Rugby.

aus are only good against 3rd world countries,otherwise are they any good .

How about football,can they win even the asia cup?

3 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

aus are only good against 3rd world countries,otherwise are they any good .

How about football,can they win even the asia cup?

What an idiotic comment, the question was about playing cricket in Australia during April/May.

For the record, in Australia, Football comes in around 4th place followed sport.

Yet they still manage to make the WC and have even progressed in recent times to the finals stages.

Population of which is about the same as Mumbai. Australia excels at being proficient in a variety of sports. Cricket is hardly followed and even the WC win was barely cared for down under. :hysterical:

28 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

What an idiotic comment, the question was about playing cricket in Australia during April/May.

For the record, in Australia, Football comes in around 4th place followed sport.

Yet they still manage to make the WC and have even progressed in recent times to the finals stages.

Population of which is about the same as Mumbai. Australia excels at being proficient in a variety of sports. Cricket is hardly followed and even the WC win was barely cared for down under. :hysterical:

Population doenst matter ,India is a 3rd world country and cant produce professional athletes .Aus can only defeat such countries that too in sports like cricket.Arent any good at other sports ,cant even win the rugby wc ,how about baseball or basketball or just stick to aussie rules, which no one cares for.

20 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

It's already dead - a boutique format only played seriously by the Big 3.

HawkEye alone costs 300,000 - 500,000 USD per match(for 5 days)

Then you look at the value of a smaller board, say SLC, and it's broadcast rights deal and it's ridiculously low(believed to be around 23 to 25 million USD for 4 years of bilateral cricket, if not less)

There's no chance of BCCI sharing an even bigger share of the ICC pie with smaller boards .

They will simply out of ICC events or make sure ICC events are fewer in the future.

I've suggested this for a while. 

If Test cricket needs to even survive, they should look at the cost side of things. 

They can try getting rid of Hawk Eye/DRS for all Tests so that smaller boards can host matches.

But then the quality of the TV product will diminish and even the existing consumers will abandon Test cricket. 

It's a doomed format whichever way we look at it 

ODIs have a greater chance of surviving if everyone wasn't so bent on pushing it to the margins. 

Great. Enjoy your t20s.

The whole point is when you make a fortune with other formats...you can easily subsidize test cricket which is actual cricket.

With enough support, test cricket can evolve into a dependable niche sport as developing nations grow and become economically stronger.

This requires long term thinking but thats too much to ask from boards.

So lets celebrate the mediocrity that is t20s and odis.

Edited by sensible-indian
33 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Great. Enjoy your t20s.

The whole point is when you make a fortune with other formats...you can easily subsidize test cricket which is actual cricket.

With enough support, test cricket can evolve into a dependable niche sport as developing nations grow and become economically stronger.

This requires long term thinking but thats too much to ask from boards.

So lets celebrate the mediocrity that is t20s and odis.

tests have been subsidized since the days of packer and ch9,

Earlier lois raised money ,now we need t20s ,maybe t10s in the future.

1 hour ago, MediumPacer said:

Population doenst matter ,India is a 3rd world country and cant produce professional athletes .Aus can only defeat such countries that too in sports like cricket.Arent any good at other sports ,cant even win the rugby wc ,how about baseball or basketball or just stick to aussie rules, which no one cares for.

You really are ignorant and weird. I didnt even bring up Australia vs India in terms of sporting prowess until you raised the issue.

Australia is a great diverse sporting nation despite its small population.