Average batsmen of Ranji don't succeed in test cricket

Ranjis are only the first filter. The most glaring example of the OP topic when I was growing up was Ashok Mankad and I and my father discussed this a lot.

Ashok Mankad 

FC      218 matches 12890 runs at 50.90                (I think this includes test runs)

Ranji                         6619 runs at 76.08                  (this I got from his profile)

Tests   22 matches 991 runs at average of 25.41

What I and my father concluded was that for bowling upto a certain pace and skill, Mankad was a monster and would slaughter that bowling. However esp when the speed exceeded a threshold his reactions(eye/hand coordination)  simply could not keep up and he became a trivial player to those bowlers. 

Edited by AKane
1 hour ago, AKane said:

Ranjis are only the first filter. The most glaring example of the OP topic when I was growing up was Ashok Mankad and I and my father discussed this a lot.

Ashok Mankad 

FC      218 matches 12890 runs at 50.90                (I think this includes test runs)

Ranji                         6619 runs at 76.08                  (this I got from his profile)

Tests   22 matches 991 runs at average of 25.41

What I and my father concluded was that for bowling upto a certain pace and skill, Mankad was a monster and would slaughter that bowling. However esp when the speed exceeded a threshold his reactions(eye/hand coordination)  simply could not keep up and he became a trivial player to those bowlers. 

Point of the thread is not that whether monster of Ranji will succeed in test cricket or not.

Point is those who can't perform in domestic cricket of India are bound to fail in international red ball cricket.

6 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Point is those who can't perform in domestic cricket of India are bound to fail in international red ball cricket.

Some statements

"Those who averaged 40-45 in Ranjis end up averaging 30s in test cricket. At best they go upto high 30s."

"Averaging 40s is guaranteed failure."

Ok then.....Like these failures? 

GR Viswanath? (Vishy handled pace sometimes better than SMG - just not as disciplined)

FC average 40.93

Test average 41.93

Mohinder Amarnath?

FC average 43.22

Test average 42.50

SC Ganguly?

FC average 44.18

Test average 42.17

I see.... you mean their FC average at test debut not overall. OK.

I sorta pointed to a glaring example of success in Ranji's (Mankad) not translating to tests. 

Edited by AKane
5 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Sehwag's FC record before debut:

Matches: 36

Innings: 53

NO: 3

Runs: 2904

Avg: 58

100s: 9

it confirms that he was very good even in ranjis, not just in intl's, as some seem to believe

6 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Not really.

Sehwag might have performed below par in some of the Ranji games after becoming a regular in test cricket, but his overall FC record was quite good before debut. See my post above.

Ranji trophy was not the only FC games they used to play earlier. There was zonal cricket, then A games and matches for teams like Boards President XI v touring teams.

Can we compile a list of 40 to 50 averaging players in ranji who have gone on to either fail or succeed for india? 

Since 2015 ideally. 

Edited by Kron
7 minutes ago, Kron said:

Can we compile a list of 40 to 50 averaging players in ranji who have gone on to either fail or succeed for india? 

Since 2015 ideally. 

saba karim had a batting avg of about 55 when he was selected. obviously did poorly in his only test, but may have deserved a longer run (not in ODIs)

Edited by Vijy

Bowlers we definitely cant predict however. Low averages like dinda and unadkat with sub 23 averages were massive fails in int. 

So with bowlers, if they have skill and average 25 to even 30 31 ish they can still do well in international cricket. 

Three players from 90's of Maharashtra who played together and who never played a single test

Abhijit Kale                 7134 runs at 54.45

Surendra Bhave         7971  runs at 58.18

Shantanu Sugwekar  6563 runs at 63.10  

That was when the MO was basically SRT, Azharuddin followed by Laxman, Dravid and  Ganguly

I don't particularly like or follow IPL or even T20s much but it has given people who do not get a chance in internationals to play world class bowlers, prove themselves plus of course make some money.

Edited by AKane
3 hours ago, AKane said:

Three players from 90's of Maharashtra who played together and who never played a single test

That was when the MO was basically SRT, Azharuddin followed by Laxman, Dravid and  Ganguly

I don't particularly like or follow IPL or even T20s much but it has given people who do not get a chance in internationals to play world class bowlers, prove themselves plus of course make some money.

I remember this guy around 2003/04 got banned for offering bribes to national selectors or something. lol. blast from the past. 

9 hours ago, AKane said:

Spot on, Rajinder Goel, he never played a test, there are so many players in past who never made it to international cricket despite dominating FC. IPL is an avenue to for such players to test their skills and also earn money.

IPL is not about Kohlis, Dhonis or  Tendulkars. It is about those domestic players getting their share of limelight.

1 hour ago, MediumPacer said:

Fc average ain't the same as ranji.Sehwag avg 45 in ranji but he was an exception.

Sachin and Dravid avg over 80 in ranji.Gavaskar and vengsarkar 70s.Pujara 66 and Ganguly and laxman 50.

VVS must be over 50 comfortably. I think it's closer to 60 or more

8 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

I remember this guy around 2003/04 got banned for offering bribes to national selectors or something. lol. blast from the past. 

He was accused but nothing was ever proven.

2 hours ago, MediumPacer said:

Fc average ain't the same as ranji.

Besides Duleeps and Irani etc .....If one has played test cricket, the FC average I think includes tests.

Edited by AKane