Travel Rants in India

coffee_rules

Every year the experience is different. Meet some very smart and very dumb people. 
Traffic is worse every time. 
People do follow travel  etiquette better every time in international flights. In domestic flights, Indians are pretty indisciplined. They usually want to break the line a lot , have to be first to get to anything before the next in line. One announcer in boarding Vistara was pretty good. He was refusing to let anybody in out of turn of the announced boarding zone. Indians follow  around authority . Won’t jump signals if there is a traffic cop. 

The most irritating thing is being on he cellphone in the airport talking loudly about random personal stuff. We are not supposed to listen, but they are usually loud. They should put out notices saying, talking alone on cellphones loudly is prohibited. Crass people. Both men and women. 
Bengaluru T2 is awesome. Still under construction, but pretty good. 

Delhi and NCR people were rough, loud and combative. Yelling at flight attendants etc. Quite pleasant people of Purvanchal (Varanasi and East) , drastic change of behavior from Western UP.  UP roads are awesome, Varanasi and Kashi much much cleaner. All the taxi and auto drivers I talked to  were Yogi and Modi bhakts. They were all BJP voters. 

Crossed over to Bihar as well for the first time in life. Bihar is a true India experience of the 70s. Roads were being constructed, bad traffic sense and I felt people were similar from eastern UP. Cities were dirty and generally people were very poor. No wonder most migrant workers are from Behind har/UP. 

Traveling to Kerala next. 

I haven't been to India in more than a decade, but I see newcomers in Canada and this is my observation when it comes to Indians during commute -

They all love to talk, it's so annoying to sit next to an Indian in Public transit, especially girls are constantly on the phone discussing random time waste stuff, give others account of how their day passed. Some idiots even scroll through TikTok on speaker phone. Absolutely no civic sense. Pathetic chit chat like khaana khaa liya, kya banaya. wtf lol. New gen is very low IQ.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:00 AM, coffee_rules said:

The most irritating thing is being on he cellphone in the airport talking loudly about random personal stuff. We are not supposed to listen, but they are usually loud. They should put out notices saying, talking alone on cellphones loudly is prohibited. Crass people. Both men and women. 
Bengaluru T2 is awesome.

My favourite part is people standing up while plane is still moving post landing. Another one is no concept of leaving space between person standing in front of you in queue. I have had instances where people from back of queue come and moved into the space I left. 

Anyways have fun. Kerala is wonderful and Jai Hind.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:00 AM, coffee_rules said:

Every year the experience is different. Meet some very smart and very dumb people. 
Traffic is worse every time. 
People do follow travel  etiquette better every time in international flights. In domestic flights, Indians are pretty indisciplined. They usually want to break the line a lot , have to be first to get to anything before the next in line. One announcer in boarding Vistara was pretty good. He was refusing to let anybody in out of turn of the announced boarding zone. Indians follow  around authority . Won’t jump signals if there is a traffic cop. 

Bengaluru T2 is awesome. Still under construction, but pretty good. 

Delhi and NCR people were rough, loud and combative. Yelling at flight attendants etc. Quite pleasant people of Purvanchal (Varanasi and East) , drastic change of behavior from Western UP.  UP roads are awesome, Varanasi and Kashi much much cleaner. All the taxi and auto drivers I talked to  were Yogi and Modi bhakts. They were all BJP voters. 

Crossed over to Bihar as well for the first time in life. Bihar is a true India experience of the 70s. Roads were being constructed, bad traffic sense and I felt people were similar from eastern UP. Cities were dirty and generally people were very poor. No wonder most migrant workers are from Behind har/UP. 

Traveling to Kerala next. 

Toilet etiquettes in flight is bad. Getting up with seat belt signs on. Talking on phone while taking off. 

Cross seat talking. Even throwing stuff across seats.

Been traveling a lot from usa to india for investment purposes. 

I love qatar business class (not anymore after last experience). Unfortunately qatar flight was cancelled from qatar to hyd, so they put us on indigo. Horrible smell, disgusting bathroom manners, smalls babies crying a lot 24/7 and the worst of them alll…grown uncles talking so loud as if they in their house. Oh on top of that stupid indigo dont have tvs. Smh. Oh for food they sell maggi noodles n hot water for $5 :phehe::facepalm:

Edited by Chaos

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I love qatar business class (not anymore after last experience). Unfortunately qatar flight was cancelled from qatar to hyd, so they put us on indigo. Horrible smell, disgusting bathroom manners, smalls babies crying a lot 24/7 and the worst of them alll…grown uncles talking so loud as if they in their house. Oh on top of that stupid indigo dont have tvs. Smh. Oh for food they sell maggi noodles n hot water for $5 :phehe::facepalm:

I travel Air India :bow:

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

never travelled on air india. Decent?

The business class is decent. Economy has good space for seating but the seats are worn and torn. Food is horrible, even the packaging sucks. Flights are dirty along with other issues mentioned above. 

Good direct long distance routes from US. JFK, Newark, Chicago, Dulles, SFO direct flights to India.

Good loyalty program 

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

How does Qatar airways or others stop from babies crying? Babies cry if they are uncomfortable. 

But, Indigo has gone worse. They act like a budget airline, too many delays and horrible service. Buying food or even a fricking stale coffee in an Indian airlines seems a travesty if you are used to Air India or Vistara

1 hour ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

The best of the lot in India is Vistara. Their experience is comfortable. Good food. Decent crowd. Clean planes. Very good customer service and ok loyalty program 

Although, the service is good in Vistara , I find their flights too cramped. Hardly any legroom esp for six-footers! I found Air India better than most western airlines in legroom. I would travel in Air India just for that convenience, plus the desi food and free whiskey are perks. I had to pay for liquor in UA, absolutely unpardonable! 

19 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

My favourite part is people standing up while plane is still moving post landing. Another one is no concept of leaving space between person standing in front of you in queue. I have had instances where people from back of queue come and moved into the space I left. 

Anyways have fun. Kerala is wonderful and Jai Hind.

Thanks. Kerala is frogging hot, man. Kochi is 100 dega in Feb (39-40 deg C ), first day AC had a problem and I was miserable. People are nice and less crowded (obvious all Keralites are outside Kerala :giggle:). Temples are amazing. 

Indians have not improved in civic sense. Although, I found it differently in this trip, people waited for planes to halt and boarded in turn of their announced zones. Maintaining proper Queues are a big ask still. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

The business class is decent. Economy has good space for seating but the seats are worn and torn. Food is horrible, even the packaging sucks. Flights are dirty along with other issues mentioned above. 

Good direct long distance routes from US. JFK, Newark, Chicago, Dulles, SFO direct flights to India.

Good loyalty program 

Decent service. Perks are free food, alcohol (hot drinks as we say in India), direct flights to India from US is a huge advantage. No need to alight in god-forsaken EU or ME in deep sleep . Cons are switching to domestic flights in Mumbai or horrible Delhi airport. Delhi IG airport is old and has very rude authorities.  The Delhi police treat people like dirt. Mumbai, or any other airport is much  much better. 

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Decent service. Perks are free food, alcohol (hot drinks as we say in India), direct flights to India from US is a huge advantage. No need to alight in god-forsaken EU or ME in deep sleep . Cons are switching to domestic flights in Mumbai or horrible Delhi airport. Delhi IG airport is old and has very rude authorities.  The Delhi police treat people like dirt. Mumbai, or any other airport is much  much better. 

Delhi T3 is the best international airport in India by miles and within T3 definitely the best for domestic transfers. If changing terminals at Delhi, screwed. Old DTC type buses for transfer. Mumbai sucks.  

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Agree on the long distance flights. I have done all except Dulles one. But by half time in these flights, toilets are filthy, even the floors become dirty. Something has to be done about it. I don't drink so not a factor for me. Food is bad , so I buy something before the flight to kill the hunger. Air India entertaintment does not work on some seats and otherwise is very poor. Little options 

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

never travelled on air india. Decent?

There is a trick to it. When you board just smile and make small talk with air hostess. In the first 20min just be polite say thanks and then enjoy service. Thanks to our general attitude of treating indian staff like s-hit the polite one get everything they want. Have got upgrades/extra seats/drinks you name it.  Works every time. 

Edited by jf1gp_1

10 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

There is a trick to it. When you board just smile and make small talk with air hostess. In the first 20min just be polite say thanks and then enjoy service. Thanks to our general attitude of treating indian staff like s-hit the polite one get everything they want. Have got upgrades/extra seats/drinks you name it.  Works every time. 

cant believe india dsnt have a good airline yet. When we first came to usa everyone in family used lufthansa which went to shitt as well. Most airlines after covid using cost cutting n shitty service. But indian airlines across are just bad. My fav to travel in usa n europe is delta. Have their highest tier n also their amex reserve. Problem is they dont fly to hyd which is wondering question

On 3/2/2024 at 10:09 PM, Chaos said:

Nothing can be done for this.

Kids are kids, they will whine & cry as per their own mood. Parents are helpless in that case.