Rahul Dravid Says Hectic Domestic Schedule Needs Relook

'Saw Some Comments by Shardul Thakur': Rahul Dravid Says Hectic Domestic Schedule Needs Relook

Rahul Dravid says the players need to be heard regarding the scheduling. (BCCI Photo)
Rahul Dravid says the players need to be heard regarding the scheduling. (BCCI Photo)

India head coach Rahul Dravid says he’s heard from a few players how tough the domestic schedule has been and wants the BCCI to hear their concerns.

The ongoing season of Ranji Trophy got underway on January 5 and will conclude by March 14. There has been a gap of just three days between the matches which prompted Mumbai allrounder Shardul Thakur raise concerns regarding the schedule taking a toll on players and potentially impacting their well-being.

“I saw some of the comments by Shardul. In fact, some of the boys who’ve come into the team also commented about how tough the domestic schedule is,” Dravid said on Saturday.

“We need to hear the players because they are going through the grind and putting their bodies on the line. We need to see how we can manage our schedules. It’s a long season already in India. It’s tough,” he added.

Dravid says the Indian domestic schedule needs a relook.

“The Ranji Trophy is a long season, and if you add a Duleep and a Deodhar to that if I’m not mistaken, the Duleep started in June, a month after the IPL,” the legendary cricket said.

“Your problem in this situation is your best players, the guys who are pushing for selection for India, are the ones that end up playing the most cricket. So, it can get quite tough on a lot of those boys,” he added.

Thakur is currently representing Mumbai in the ongoing Ranji Trophy and is part of their squad for the final against Vidarbha that will start from Sunday.

Cut down the number of teams, less teams means less games and more time between matches.

Remove Duleep & Deodhar. 

Ranji for FC

Vijay Hazare for List A

Syed Mushtaq for T20

Keep it simple and not overcomplicate the things.

Edited by singhvivek141
17 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Cut down the number of teams, less teams means less games and more time between matches.

Remove Duleep & Deodhar. 

Ranji for FC

Vijay Hazare for List A

Syed Mushtaq for T20

I like zonal tourneys. Deodhar can be removed, but I think Duleep and Irani should stay.

54 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Remove Duleep & Deodhar. 

Ranji for FC

Vijay Hazare for List A

Syed Mushtaq for T20

Yes,that is what I believe is necessary

Have always maintained,lesser number of sides in Ranji the better

Scheduling won't be that an issue

6 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yes,that is what I believe is necessary

Have always maintained,lesser number of sides in Ranji the better

Scheduling won't be that an issue

Not really ,number of teams doesn't matter as they play concurrently.

You have to cut down the amount of matches each team play to extend the gap between matches,but they don't play that many list a or fc to begin with.